Pre-Competition Stress Moments

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
GoofyFoofer
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pre-Competition Stress Moments

Post by GoofyFoofer »

RoboRon wrote:
GoofyFoofer wrote:That sucks. How did you guys do?
we got 8th
Oh.
Well, that's not too bad.
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

GoofyFoofer wrote:
RoboRon wrote:
GoofyFoofer wrote:That sucks. How did you guys do?
we got 8th
Oh.
Meh, depends on the competitiveness of the team. Some would consider that bad, some good.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Unome wrote:
GoofyFoofer wrote:
RoboRon wrote:
we got 8th
Oh.
Meh, depends on the competitiveness of the team. Some would consider that bad, some good.
Nah, I would say 8th out of 47 teams is good considering the fall. Sure, it wasn't our team's best event, but it wasn't our worst either. On top of that, weren't you also almost DQ'ed Ron?
GoofyFoofer
State: OH

Post by GoofyFoofer »

Unome wrote:Meh, depends on the competitiveness of the team. Some would consider that bad, some good.
Yeah. With Muscatel, Troy, Solon, Beckendorf, etc., you would get kicked off the team if you placed 8th. :lol:
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

GoofyFoofer wrote:
Unome wrote:Meh, depends on the competitiveness of the team. Some would consider that bad, some good.
Yeah. With Muscatel, Troy, Solon, Beckendorf, etc., you would get kicked off the team if you placed 8th. :lol:
Our team would be pretty mad at you if you placed 8th at Regionals or State (We tend to lose from bombing events).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by ScienceOlympian »

last year
before sounds
my partner was at shock value and i had to tune our harp
and it kept on being out of tune
i was really stressed and gave up on sounds
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
humanbeingofearth548

Post by humanbeingofearth548 »

Unome wrote:
GoofyFoofer wrote:
Our team would be pretty mad at you if you placed 8th at Regionals or State (We tend to lose from bombing events).
I think it really depneds on what event you try to bomb...like if it's a building event, sometimes, you could get super duper lucky..and actually get a medal at Nats..or any competition... :D
2014 Events: Wheeled Vehicle
2015 Events: Entomology, Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This
2016 Events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This, Scrambler
bearasmith
State: MD

Post by bearasmith »

Voltage wrote::lol: Yes, I can contest.

I'm not really sure this was a stress moment either, more like my Road Scholar partner and I being clueless, but it is a story nevertheless.

At Regionals, my partner (bearasmith) and I came into the RS testing room. We were given a topo map and a road map. We set up on the floor, using weights to keep the topo map unfolded. We were given the test, which we put face down on the floor as we were supposed to. Then we started waiting for the proctors to say go. Waiting... Waiting... Gradually we, or at least bearasmith, started to notice that other people had their test face up and were working on it. Hmm...

So, after 7 minutes of waiting, bearasmith went up to the proctor and asked her whether we were supposed to start. She laughed and said yes. Whoops. :oops:

We still got first place though. :)
:lol: Yeah, that was so funny. We went up and asked, and she just stared at us for a couple of seconds. Then she burst out in laughter. We were just sitting there waiting. We even talked to each other about how long it was taking to get started. Oops. :roll:
Medal Count: 52
RoboRon
State: MI

Post by RoboRon »

John Richardsim wrote:
Unome wrote:
GoofyFoofer wrote:

Oh.
Nah, I would say 8th out of 47 teams is good considering the fall. Sure, it wasn't our team's best event, but it wasn't our worst either. On top of that, weren't you also almost DQ'ed Ron?
Yes because on of the judges did not read the rules on what happens if a robot leaves the playing area and so our wheel left the edge but did not touch the ground and so the judge tried to say our time stoped there
GHHSSO- On our way back!
Physics for life

Return to “General Competition”