Pre-Competition Stress Moments

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
ceg7654
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Pre-Competition Stress Moments

Postby ceg7654 » April 6th, 2014, 3:36 pm

For my state competition yesterday, I had my Ento test first and it was really nerve wracking. I kept playing with my mechanical pencil and tried to calm myself down, but I was clutching it really hard and I broke it before the test... :lol: The top part snapped off but I could still use it to write.
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult

vennowsah
Division: Grad

Postby vennowsah » April 6th, 2014, 4:41 pm

The night before state, one of the strings for my lyre broke, and it was too late to get a new one since all of the music stores were closed already. I was freaking out and emailing everyone on my team if they had spare strings. Luckily, my coach had one, and I didn't fail too bad in that event. I also didn't eat anything the whole day yesterday because I was so nervous.
MLKHS '18
MIT '22

Expectations low, hopes high

SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby SOnerd » April 6th, 2014, 5:06 pm

For my state competition yesterday, I had my Ento test first and it was really nerve wracking. I kept playing with my mechanical pencil and tried to calm myself down, but I was clutching it really hard and I broke it before the test... :lol: The top part snapped off but I could still use it to write.
:lol: I did that once. With a wood no.2 pencil. With my fingers.
How'd you do on your test?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page

ceg7654

Postby ceg7654 » April 6th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Pretty good. I got 3rd place. I'll post about the test and what was on it on the regular Ento thread later.

If I ever broke a wooden pencil with my fingers before the test, my partner would probably think I was insane. He saw my broken mechanical one and stared at me like "... :?" Then we both got more serious and took our test.
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult

SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby SOnerd » April 6th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Pretty good. I got 3rd place. I'll post about the test and what was on it on the regular Ento thread later.

If I ever broke a wooden pencil with my fingers before the test, my partner would probably think I was insane. He saw my broken mechanical one and stared at me like "... :?" Then we both got more serious and took our test.
Lol I broke our wooden one in Exp, but I wasn't even that nervous...
I was just bored waiting for my partner to finish the procedure (we had lots of extra time) :lol:
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page

knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD

Postby knittingfrenzy18 » April 7th, 2014, 7:59 am

Probably not related to stress, but I put my pencil in my lap during Metric Mastery, expecting it to fall over in my lap. Instead, it decided to stand straight as a skewer, and next, my palm was not very happy. It was punctured and started bleeding some. Voltage can contest.

Still can't get over that I poked myself like that :lol:
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com

Voltage
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Voltage » April 7th, 2014, 9:09 am

:lol: Yes, I can contest.

I'm not really sure this was a stress moment either, more like my Road Scholar partner and I being clueless, but it is a story nevertheless.

At Regionals, my partner (bearasmith) and I came into the RS testing room. We were given a topo map and a road map. We set up on the floor, using weights to keep the topo map unfolded. We were given the test, which we put face down on the floor as we were supposed to. Then we started waiting for the proctors to say go. Waiting... Waiting... Gradually we, or at least bearasmith, started to notice that other people had their test face up and were working on it. Hmm...

So, after 7 minutes of waiting, bearasmith went up to the proctor and asked her whether we were supposed to start. She laughed and said yes. Whoops. :oops:

We still got first place though. :)
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin and Hobbes, Bill Watterson

I got my quote from a comic book. Tells you a lot about me, doesn't it?

asthedeer

Postby asthedeer » April 10th, 2014, 4:27 pm

I had my state competition yesterday, and thankfully I did well in all of my events, but I was pretty stressed and didn't eat anything for the entire day as a result.
Yes, for that whole day, all I had was pretty much a bagel, and I almost couldn't finish it. The next day, i still couldn't eat.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Science Olympiad 2017!!!
Anatomy, ExD, Rocks and Minerals, Helicopters.

Check out my blog!
rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~God, Jeremiah 29:11

1nxtmonster
State: PA

Postby 1nxtmonster » April 11th, 2014, 5:44 am

I get to helicopters a few minutes early, expecting to see my partner. I couldn't find her, so I left a note there saying I was looking for her, ran across campus desperately searching for a teammate, found one eating, abducted them from their chicken tenders and dragged them to helicopters with me.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » May 1st, 2014, 4:25 pm

Nothing beats your partner not showing up on time for Write It, Do It. Did the writing part but left not knowing if my partner made it (she did but we placed pretty bad).
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Return to “General Competition”