Poorly Run Event Stories

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Catie314
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Poorly Run Event Stories

Post by Catie314 »

Sorry for the miscommunication/misunderstanding. I simply meant to say that it was difficult for the students on that event to complete a test from a different event. None of that was intended to come off as sexist, or disparaging. Sorry y'all.
(Plus, I'm a girl on Chem lab... it's perfectly acceptable for anyone to be on that event.)
We're all good stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" ~ 11th Doctor
samlan16
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

Catie314 wrote:Sorry for the miscommunication/misunderstanding. I simply meant to say that it was difficult for the students on that event to complete a test from a different event. None of that was intended to come off as sexist, or disparaging. Sorry y'all.
(Plus, I'm a girl on Chem lab... it's perfectly acceptable for anyone to be on that event.)
No problemo. And thank you for clarifying.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

I remember 2015 Rustin Invitationals like it was yesterday (because it was half a month ago and my first competition). For Crave the Wave, my team finished first with 30 minutes left in the time period and asked if we could go. The proctor said we couldn't, and then five minutes later, another team walked out, and she [the proctor] didn't care. After we saw that, we just left. In case you're wondering, SHMS Team X got first place!
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:I remember 2015 Rustin Invitationals like it was yesterday (because it was half a month ago and my first competition). For Crave the Wave, my team finished first with 30 minutes left in the time period and asked if we could go. The proctor said we couldn't, and then five minutes later, another team walked out, and she [the proctor] didn't care. After we saw that, we just left. In case you're wondering, SHMS Team X got first place!
Not sure that's entirely a poorly run event story, but nevertheless proctors cannot be negligent.
Eggo
State: CA

Post by Eggo »

Ok I have a few...
At the Mesa Robles Invitational Anatomy Div B Test Had 60 questions that were on the Ladera Vista Invitational test,(Which was two weeks before, so we finished in 20 mins.) Also at OC regionals wheeled vehicle, teams were coming in 2 time slots before they were supposed to go. Impound also started 1 hour late. No measurement of the vehicle or the dowel. ;(
Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Circuit Lab, Mousetrap Vehicle
Medal Count: 51
Ripplestar
Division: B
State: MI

Post by Ripplestar »

This one wasn't my team, but SOME PERSON running Bridge Building for div B BROKE a team's bridge trying to help with setup and the team got disqualified. I don't think they even pulled in a new helper.
Also, at our last regional, something happened with the event scoring in Crime Busters so they completely threw out the scores and nobody got anything.
matthew101802
Division: B
State: IL

Post by matthew101802 »

1) At Bio-Process Lab for Lisle, the whole test was off the internet with like 5 little modifications. Guess what test my dad gave me to study the morning of to fresh up on the material? The exact same test that was in the event. Also, the supervisor got locked out of the room before we started so we had to wait there while she got a janitor. Guess who got first? Us.
2) Oof. Another-Bio Process one. At North Shore Country Day, the rotation system was horrible. There was no written rotation down so teams went wherever they pleased, and when one team couldn't go anywhere new, the supervisor stopped the test and switched around teams. Oof. Also, our JV team did better than us because they were given 17.5 extra points. On a 61 point test. They ended up with a 56, not a 39.5. Silly proctors could look at the first page and see there is 9 wrong and maybe make a earth-to-brain connection?
3) Another Bio-Process one. At WSU, the supervisor got locked out of the room. Also, during rotation, one team blocked us off, so we had to stay a station late at the end to finish since we had nowhere to go for one station. The test also repeated longer stations, e.x. a station that asked you to make a dichotomous key was repeated twice. This was fine, however when they repeated a food label section twice, there was no food label at the repeat station. That station was thrown out, thankfully.
4) At Crave The Wave at WSU, we got about 3 extra points we shouldn't have and there were 3 question we got right that were marked wrong. Guess it all worked out in the end, though.
5) At Bridges in Lisle, there was a cup for scooping sand into a bucket. No lever mechanism. And not to mention the cup was only 5 oz. The event was so behind schedule, it wasn't even funny.
6) At the WSU awards ceremony, before they started, there was a black screen up on the board that was supposed to read:
Please call
775-xxx-xxxx
for assistance.
However, since the dimensions on the screen were 4:3 and the projector dimensions were 16:9, the screen read
Pleas
775-
for ass
Whoops.
7) At State Robo-Cross in 2014, there was a crack in the board near the transition from Zone A to D. Our robot was going in to finish with a solid 1:50 time, perfect run. Guess whose robot gut stuck in the crack and flipped? Ours. At least we still got 9th.
8) At Simple Machines in Nationals last year, I knew the proctor was the 2012 National Shock Value proctor. Why? Not because I knew him, but because when I was doing SV practice tests from 2012, the header on one of the answer sections read "General Questions on ELCCTRICITY." Guess who reused the same answer section from 2012? That guy. Our Simple Machines answer sheet had "General Questions on ELCCTRICITY." on it.
SO Events 2013 (JV)
Inv/R/S
Boom 3/1/-
Keep The Heat 1/1/-
Shock 1/3/-
Pentathlon -/-/2

SO Events 2014 (V)
Wright State/Lisle/R/S/N
WIDI 7/8/2/29/39
Robo 7/1/1/9/17
Shock 2/1/1/1/9
Simple 12/2/1/11/26

Kaboom!
Total Medal Count: 20
notourdivision

Post by notourdivision »

During a Chem Lab test at a recent competition, the proctors gave us two rows of wells and told us to put about 17 drops of liquid into each one and observe the reaction. This would be fine and dandy if only they hadn't actually given us microwells which can only fit about 5 drops of liquid per well.
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

matthew101802 wrote: 6) At the WSU awards ceremony, before they started, there was a black screen up on the board that was supposed to read:
Please call
775-xxx-xxxx
for assistance.
However, since the dimensions on the screen were 4:3 and the projector dimensions were 16:9, the screen read
Pleas
775-
for butterfly
Whoops.
Not sure how assistance could possibly become butterfly...
annaphase
State: NY

Post by annaphase »

samlan16 wrote:
matthew101802 wrote: 6) At the WSU awards ceremony, before they started, there was a black screen up on the board that was supposed to read:
Please call
775-xxx-xxxx
for assistance.
Pleas
775-
for butterfly
Whoops.
Not sure how assistance could possibly become butterfly...
I do believe it said a** and there's some filter or mechanism made to bleep out curses on the site
"What are the squiggly things for?"~Protein Modeling
"150 degrees Celsius? Either this graph is wrong, or the only place this enzyme is active is in pigeon." ~Cell Bio

Return to “General Competition”