Poorly Run Event Stories

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
cemsc10
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Poorly Run Event Stories

Post by cemsc10 »

In addition to my above Meteorology post, we had one fossils test that started ten minutes late. Also they gave us 1.5 min. per station, and test was done in 20 minutes. Some stations were ridiculous for such a small time limit... :|
An disease detective who happens to experiment with meteorology when she is sick of testing her scrambler.
Eggo
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Eggo »

[NerdyTotoro] wrote:So at this invitational at Mesa Robles, I had to compete for Disease Detectives with this other person from my team. When we got there, we saw that the tests were basically 2 tests (one by SoNerd) from the Test Exchange section mashed together. Literally all the questions were the same and the answers were the same. And that's probably why we failed at that competition. :oops: :|
Event Supervisors need to stop creating DD tests by just combining tests from the text exchange. However, that test wasn't too hard and we got 1st.
Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Circuit Lab, Mousetrap Vehicle
Medal Count: 51
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by SOnerd »

[NerdyTotoro] wrote:So at this invitational at Mesa Robles, I had to compete for Disease Detectives with this other person from my team. When we got there, we saw that the tests were basically 2 tests (one by SoNerd) from the Test Exchange section mashed together[...]
Dang, that's pretty sweet. So was it basically the same test?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
watermydoing14
State: WA

Post by watermydoing14 »

This weekend at the Seattle Central Northwest Washington Regional, the Cell Biology test my partner and I took was in stations but it was never made clear how we were supposed to rotate... The proctor mentioned something about a "serpentine" rotation pattern and then halfway through, she told everyone to move to their right. We had just come from the right, so at that point we just went to whatever station we wanted to without paying attention to the proctor telling us to rotate since we were running out of time for the stations. I'm pretty sure I only heard her say to rotate about 5 times but there were many more stations (about 14) so I don't know how we were supposed to do that test. Last year, when our test was in stations, there were only a few stations and the majority of the test was just a written test, and everyone was free to go to each station at their own pace, and I think that works a lot better for an event like Cell Bio
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
[NerdyTotoro]

Post by [NerdyTotoro] »

I'm sorry if I responded to your comment SOnerd the wrong way (I'm new to this website).
Yeah, the test was basically yours and a another person called Navigator's test. In the middle of the test, my partner turned to me and was like wait, we practiced these tests a lot before. And they even used your extra credit section on the test @SOnerd!
:idea:
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

From what I heard from kids on my middle school's team, today at regionals the Division B Invasive Species proctor apparently allowed a group of 3 people to compete, and there were also teams with 2 binders...
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

watermydoing14 wrote:This weekend at the Seattle Central Northwest Washington Regional, the Cell Biology test my partner and I took was in stations but it was never made clear how we were supposed to rotate... The proctor mentioned something about a "serpentine" rotation pattern and then halfway through, she told everyone to move to their right. We had just come from the right, so at that point we just went to whatever station we wanted to without paying attention to the proctor telling us to rotate since we were running out of time for the stations. I'm pretty sure I only heard her say to rotate about 5 times but there were many more stations (about 14) so I don't know how we were supposed to do that test. Last year, when our test was in stations, there were only a few stations and the majority of the test was just a written test, and everyone was free to go to each station at their own pace, and I think that works a lot better for an event like Cell Bio
Cell Biology was one of several events the site had difficulty finding a supervisor for, so a member of the Science and Math department at the college ran it. I was asked to write a test for it, but I was already investing too much time into overdoing a Bio-Process Lab test.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

For Bio-Process Lab at Wisconsin State last year, the ES used a test I had taken in science class in 6th grade. Everyone above 15th place was separated by bonus questions.

At Regionals, the Wind Power ES had the wrong measurements for impound. He said the diameter of the turbine had to be less than 28 cm in Division B, when it is 40 cm. He said nothing was allowed behind the CD, and no more than 2 cm in the front, when it should be 3 cm and 2 cm. He also made us put the tester 20 cm away from the fan, when it should be 5 cm. We were lucky because we have three blades, and one of them was small enough to impound. Somehow we won.

Disease Detectives at Regionals was really bad. We got points knocked off for incorrect formulas for attack rate and odds ratio, even though we were right (Our coach checked it and told us we were.) We got 65%, but we actually got 85%. It was bad. At least we won.
0ddrenaline
State: MI

Post by 0ddrenaline »

LIPX3 wrote:For Bio-Process Lab at Wisconsin State last year, the ES used a test I had taken in science class in 6th grade. Everyone above 15th place was separated by bonus questions.

At Regionals, the Wind Power ES had the wrong measurements for impound. He said the diameter of the turbine had to be less than 28 cm in Division B, when it is 40 cm. He said nothing was allowed behind the CD, and no more than 2 cm in the front, when it should be 3 cm and 2 cm. He also made us put the tester 20 cm away from the fan, when it should be 5 cm. We were lucky because we have three blades, and one of them was small enough to impound. Somehow we won.

Disease Detectives at Regionals was really bad. We got points knocked off for incorrect formulas for attack rate and odds ratio, even though we were right (Our coach checked it and told us we were.) We got 65%, but we actually got 85%. It was bad. At least we won.
I would recommend to everyone that you should bring a copy of the rules to building events, events that allow binders, and impounds. Know the rules by heart. If you absolutely know that the ES is wrong, then bring out the rules and show them. Maybe then you'll get lucky, but possibly not because they "already used this rule for the previous teams, so it would be unfair."
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

0ddrenaline wrote:
LIPX3 wrote:For Bio-Process Lab at Wisconsin State last year, the ES used a test I had taken in science class in 6th grade. Everyone above 15th place was separated by bonus questions.

I would recommend to everyone that you should bring a copy of the rules to building events, events that allow binders, and impounds. Know the rules by heart. If you absolutely know that the ES is wrong, then bring out the rules and show them. Maybe then you'll get lucky, but possibly not because they "already used this rule for the previous teams, so it would be unfair."
We did, and he threatened to DQ us.

Return to “General Competition”