Poorly Run Event Stories

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Poorly Run Event Stories

Post by CPScienceDude »

*pikachu enters chat*
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

axolotl wrote:We get the test folder back and there's no test and we got DQed along with like 10 other teams just in herp. Seems they just lost a good stack of tests and pretended they didn't.
Good practice for ES: have a box for completed tests. Put the tests straight in the box, never carry them around without the box. Put nothing else in the box. Reduces the chance of "misfiling" someone's test.

Actually, perhaps you need more than one box if you're carrying tests from the first session away to be graded, and there's another session still to come,
Things2do
State: TN

Post by Things2do »

Unome wrote:
jaggie34 wrote:Is thermo at every single competition except nationals and maybe Penn and MIT a viable option for a poorly run event story?
Georgia B Thermo is pretty good :P
I think UGA went well... Although all I remember is Mousetrap, not much of Thermo, the awards, our team being under the stairs, and messing around outside, especially where one guy feel asleep on a wall... I've been working on it, but I don't remember what Unome looks like...

This year's Chattanooga State regional wasn't bad, and State was good. They even let us start a little early for the water so that I could make it to Mousetrap on time. {Thank you, if you're reading this.}

I also think that Hot! Hot! Hot! (Thermo's equivalent) was well ran at Division A's Chattanooga State regional last year, but I might be a little biased, since my team filled all of the ES roles. I poured the water...
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
SciolyMaster
Division: C
State: MO

Post by SciolyMaster »

jaggie34 wrote: Is thermo at every single competition except nationals and maybe Penn and MIT a viable option for a poorly run event story?
MadCow2357 wrote: Just a few errors made by more well-prepared participants could mean the difference between medaling and bombing.
Our Thermo performance at MO State in a nutshell :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ladue Science Olympiad

2021 Events: Sounds, GeoMapping, DyPlan, Astro
Past Events: WaterQual, Ping Pong, Thermo, Hovercraft, Air Trajectory, Bottle Rocket

"It's [SciolyMaster] from Ladooooooo!"
NSCDS3RdCaptain
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by NSCDS3RdCaptain »

I have had many horror stories with Thermo B:
1. Marie Murphy 2017-They did not test all devices for the same time. Ours was tested for 35 min, while others were tested for 30.
2. South 2018-Same test as Marie Murphy
3. Grayslake 2018-Put our device next to a window when there was a snowstorm outside.
4. Neuqua Valley Regional 2018-Tested boxes for 20 minutes instead of 30.
5. IL State 2018-Supervisor took binders away and tried to justify using the rules.
6. Marie Murphy 2019-Supervisor reused old test.
7. Neuqua Valley Regional 2019-Supervisor reused old test.
8. IL State 2019-Supervisor wrote a super easy test (I wouldn't give at an easy invite) with no calculation questions while recycling material from prewritten tests.
Thermodynamics 3/26/x
Thermodynamics 7/ /x
Water Quality 3/ /x
Battery Buggy 1/2/x
Battery Buggy 2/ /x
Ecology 3/12/x
Optics 4/26/x
Density Lab 4/ /x
NSCDS3RdCaptain
State: IL

Post by NSCDS3RdCaptain »

Also, at regionals, the fans were on for some teams during ELG, but not all teams, so our glider was wrecked.
Thermodynamics 3/26/x
Thermodynamics 7/ /x
Water Quality 3/ /x
Battery Buggy 1/2/x
Battery Buggy 2/ /x
Ecology 3/12/x
Optics 4/26/x
Density Lab 4/ /x
primitivepolonium
State: CA

Post by primitivepolonium »

My friend was volunteering at Fossils for States, and noticed that the administered exam lifted questions from an exam she wrote for an invite a month prior.

When the proctor/supervisor was asked about it, their response was that yes, they had seen her exam before and were "inspired" by it.

Edit: for clarity.
Last edited by primitivepolonium on August 6th, 2019, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

primitive_polonium wrote:My friend was volunteering at Fossils for States, and noticed that the administered exam lifted questions from an exam she wrote for an invite a month prior.

When the proctor/supervisor was asked about it, their response was that they were "inspired".
someone on our team wrote a test for ssss, then found the same questions on an invy test the year after -_- (wasn't an invy we went to though, just a test set we traded)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Blank25
State: NY

Post by Blank25 »

builderguy135 wrote:
primitive_polonium wrote:My friend was volunteering at Fossils for States, and noticed that the administered exam lifted questions from an exam she wrote for an invite a month prior.

When the proctor/supervisor was asked about it, their response was that they were "inspired".
someone on our team wrote a test for ssss, then found the same questions on an invy test the year after -_- (wasn't an invy we went to though, just a test set we traded)
I guess my team isn't alone in this experience.
2020 Events: Astronomy, Ornithology, Water Quality, Protein Modeling
2019 Events: Fermi, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible
2018 Events: Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Towers, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Parasitology
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Hovercraft, Towers, Astronomy
primitivepolonium
State: CA

Post by primitivepolonium »

blank25 wrote: I guess my team isn't alone in this experience.
It's a sadly common experience.

Dynamic Planet at Socal States 2015 used the same exact exam as Orange Country Regionals that year, which was especially problematic since OC sent 6 teams to States.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.

Return to “General Competition”