Poorly Run Event Stories

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Naycow

Re: Poorly Run Event Stories

Post by Naycow » April 22nd, 2018, 1:31 pm

This really wouldn't be considered a poorly run event... but it sure affected the score a lot. During the 2018 Science Olympiad CyFalls tournament, I did Solar System (I really love astronomy.) The test that they gave wasn't even related to the rules (there were some questions regarding last year's Reach For The Stars) and it seemed like a test that was used years ago in a previous astronomy related event. Despite this, I knew most of the questions on the test, but I was surprised by the ranking I got on the test: 25TH. We always get our tests back and when I investigated what went wrong, the proctor used THE NUMBER OF QUESTIONS THAT I GOT WRONG AS THE SCORE!!! (There were a 100 questions.) Our 3rd team got 10th place in the event, and they had 30 fewer points than my true score. I was positive that I could've placed that time, but it was only an Invitational so it really didn't matter. I'm from Kealing Middle School and for that tournament, we ended up tying with Seven Lakes Junior High but still got second overall. (First was Beckendorff.)

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink » April 22nd, 2018, 7:15 pm

I flooded my event room...

krasabnk
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by krasabnk » April 23rd, 2018, 9:24 am

Not sure if this falls under 'poorly run', as the proctors did a good job running the test, but in Herpetology for the states competition, there was a total of 3 times where the proctors had to intercept the test because kids kept dragging the question sheets with their binders down the tables to the next station. My partner and I experienced this twice, meaning we had to answer the questions on the sheet twice as fast as we normally would have done because the supervisor could not just pause the test. Lucky enough for my partner and I, we were able to answer the questions on those sheets with ease, and fortunately, we were able to place 4th in states.
DaVinci's Dragons 2019
[b]2019: [/b]
regionals/states
 <3 Herpetology: 1/3
 :evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
 :?: Experimental Design -/19

[b]2018: [/b]
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
 :?: Disease Detectives: 4/19

LionfishFilet
Division: B
State: VA

Post by LionfishFilet » April 25th, 2018, 10:40 am

Alright this is the right thread for me.

Virginia state tournament

Wright Stuff

The Slaughter Gym, where the event is normally held at, was undergoing renovations

So we had to fly our planes in a Ballroom......

A Ballroom with Vertical Vents that pushes air down.......

No further comment.

:(
New this year
Medals: G:2 S:3 B:4
History: Thermo, Wright Stuff, Ecology
School: [wiki]Longfellow Middle School (Virginia)[/wiki], Falls Church, Virginia
:)

coachchuckaahs
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs » April 25th, 2018, 10:43 am

In Wright Stuff at State, the scale was so bad (kitchen scale) that our 1.5g rubber weighed in at over 2.5g! 7g plane showed over 10g. Fortunately my kids were first to fly in the morning, and they loaned our scale for the day. At both Region and State, the ES did not allow more than two pieces of rubber to be weighed. Fortunately for State, we had printed the FAQ and they relented. At Region, ceiling was higher than our practice, so we had our nominal (#1) rubber, and a lighter and heavier #2 flight rubber, to be selected based on first flight (science, right? Observe, adjust). Since they had to select only 2, they took #1 and the heavier #2. #1 touched rafters, and so choice would have been for lighter #2, but had to go heavier. Harder into rafters.
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

19alekb

Post by 19alekb » April 25th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Stupidly run roller coaster event supervisor dq'd us. We would have gotten top 3 in roller and would have gone to nationals. It's been 5 days and I still feel super sad and super disappointed that we were so close to going to nationals.

hippo9
State: IN

Post by hippo9 » April 25th, 2018, 7:39 pm

19alekb wrote:Stupidly run roller coaster event supervisor dq'd us. We would have gotten top 3 in roller and would have gone to nationals. It's been 5 days and I still feel super sad and super disappointed that we were so close to going to nationals.
So what exactly happened?(Sorry, I don't want to rub salt in the wound, but I'm really curious.)
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research." - Albert Einstein

2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

The48thYoshi

Post by The48thYoshi » April 25th, 2018, 7:40 pm

19alekb wrote:Stupidly run roller coaster event supervisor dq'd us. We would have gotten top 3 in roller and would have gone to nationals. It's been 5 days and I still feel super sad and super disappointed that we were so close to going to nationals.
While the roller coaster ES May have DQ’d you for no reason, keep in mind that even with a first in roller coaster SAA still would have gotten second.
(I don’t want to rub salt in the wound, similar to hippo9. However, you should not blame the ES for not making nationals. SAA is simply strong this year)
aeshs ‘22

19alekb

Post by 19alekb » April 25th, 2018, 7:46 pm

The48thYoshi wrote:
While the roller coaster ES May have DQ’d you for no reason, keep in mind that even with a first in roller coaster SAA still would have gotten second.
(I don’t want to rub salt in the wound, similar to hippo9. However, you should not blame the ES for not making nationals. SAA is simply strong this year)
Yep you right yoshi. We would have lost by one. SAA was good this year. I just wish we went to nationals in this year because all of the good 8th graders are leaving( (I'm in 7th so I'll be doing scioly next year for MM), so it leaves me and two other 7th graders to carry the crap out of the team. (I'm not being cocky or vain by saying I'll carry the team. My coaches literally told me and the other two kids that).

knightmoves

Post by knightmoves » April 26th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Nobody has brought up the IL State B div Thermo debacle yet, so here you are:

The event supervisors decided that "The information may be removed during the event" in rule 2a meant that the ES could take everyone's binders away. So they did. Many people spent the event in tears.

If that wasn't bad enough, they were also inconsistent about timing for handing out the hot water, and didn't measure the distance from the top of the box to the bottom of the beaker.

And there weren't any chairs or stools (university chem lab) so everyone had to take the test standing up bent over lab benches.

I think MadCow's duct tape ring for Towers has us all beat, though.

Return to “General Competition”