Awesomely Run Event Stories

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Phenakism
Division: B
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Awesomely Run Event Stories

Post by Phenakism »

Luo wrote: March 19th, 2020, 8:43 pm
Phenakism wrote: March 19th, 2020, 12:03 pm We had this guy during the heredity regs session just in the middle of the session turn on some rock music, plugged in his earbuds, and start dancing and air guitaring in the middle of the room. For a good 30 minutes, while a bunch of middle schoolers were crying over dihybrid crosses and solving affairs, this guy was having the time of his life. We almost didn't finish the test, it was like incomp entertainment, you couldn't really stop watching. Wish every event was like that.
That was me! I was listening to this on repeat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_LGujvDBD8
You were so cool! Wish you could run all of my events. Thank youuuu for being such a cool proctor!
COMPS (Mira Loma, Christensen, Regs, States [nvm]):
Mission Possible 4-8-1 (send golf balls pls)
Game On 8-1-1
Heredity 4-2-2

Current ~ Mission Possible, Heredity, Game On
Send golf balls
jaspattack
Division: Grad
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

I've only had the chance to do Forensics once, but I really loved the way our region set it up. Everything was laid out for us in a binder mimicking a dossier, and it was a really cool way to distribute the information. I really wish my partner and I had practiced more going into the event because I loved the way it was run, but I suppose it just wasn't meant to be.
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

I'm reading MIT's WQ test again and I realized the organism ID + ecology were structured as giving an image sheet of a bunch of organisms, then questions asking which image was [given organism], then asking organism facts. This doesn't work for every ID event but I liked that it tested ID without putting competitors in the double jeopardy position where if they ID-ed the organism wrong they would get the rest of the questions about the organism wrong too.
These users thanked the author SilverBreeze for the post (total 4):
Giantpants (October 10th, 2020, 9:30 am) • pb5754 (October 10th, 2020, 11:49 am) • imaditi (October 11th, 2020, 9:36 am) • MadCow2357 (December 21st, 2020, 10:36 am)
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
MorningCoffee
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by MorningCoffee »

This one is one from a few seasons ago, but nonetheless is still pretty awesome. My partner and I were taking a Solar System test, and one of the questions was "What was the Mariner crater named after?" We had not the slightest idea, so we just put marinara sauce because MEMES. when getting the test back because it was an invy, they marked it right and put a smiley face. Props to you, grader, if you are somehow reading this, you brought a smile to my face :)
Events 2023-2024:
uhh we'll find out let me apply to college first

orch dork forever
hot chocolate is best drink c:
feelflava
Division: B
State: AK
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by feelflava »

How about the Crime Busters national test? The proctor is THE WOZ, the only I have known to have a zero tolerance policy on safety infractions.

mobdro

Return to “General Competition”