Events 2015-2016?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Fluorine
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Events 2015-2016?

Post by Fluorine »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:I made an Invasive Species question marathon, if anyone would like to begin working on that event.
I'll be over there (Early Start) :roll:

One question: Does anyone know if the current list is the going to change a lot for next year?
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

bernard wrote:
Showow wrote:Any further developments with the details of the Robot Event?
It's Robot Arm.

How confident are you with that? I feel it would still be called "robot arm" since that was just recently an event.
AlterNSO
Division: C
State: OH

Post by AlterNSO »

It's Robot Arm.
Chalker Wrote:
We are very sensitive to cost issues and try to ensure the rules don't give any significant benefit to 'throwing more money' at a problem. I've said time and time again that practice is far more important than price in these events, and history has shown repeated examples of that being the case.

As for expanding the documentation requirement, the biggest issue we have to deal with there is the burden it places on the event supervisors. There is only so much time they have per team to judge and grade things. And they aren't going to be an expert in every possible component / item. So we have to strike a balance between trying to ensure competitors actually built the devices they show up with, and not over-analyzing every little aspect of each device.

However, as always, I'm open to discussing specific suggestions / examples of how to improve on the existing rules.
As a coach of a middle of the road team, I feel like Robot arm is one the worst events for more expensive equipment yielding better results. At least that's my perception. The reasons for this are:

1. More powerful and expensive motors and servos allow greater reach for the arm. This can be overcome by design but those designs are more difficult to build and control.
2. 5 degrees of freedom is significantly better than 4 (usually a wrist for the claw) and 6 channel remotes are more expensive than 4 channel.
3. A standard remote control(which many teams have) is a less effects than a type of knob control system which would be an additional expense to build or buy for most teams.

Some possible ways to make it less cost dependent:

1. Reduce the size of the playing field so that standard motors and servos can reach the furthest important areas with some counter forces. Perhaps adding more things to sort to keep the overall difficulty about the same.
2. Allow human powered hydraulics like this (http://www.pitsco.com/T-bot_II_Hydraulic_Arm from pitsco. This would also make it mirror real robotic arms more closely as most of those are hydraulic powered I believe but powered hydraulic systems would be expensive. A rule would probably need to be added to make sure all wires or tubes must leave out of the back of the robot area.
3. Allow human power via strings and pulleys (Again rules to ensure the strings and pulley can only leave out of the back). I just think it would be really cool to see an arm pick up things using cranks and pulleys.
4. Make if robocross or robot ramble. Those event have the same problems but they are not as extreme as in robot arm.

One other suggestion about electric vehicle

If electronic control is going to be allowed don't limit what types will be allowed by limiting the battery voltage. Basically if a team has mind storms or vex let them use it otherwise they have to spend more to get a new system. I understand it would be an advantage over teams that didn't have them but it is no greater advantage than if they went out and bought a different system. Thanks and if I'm totally off base on any of these points.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Posted on astro topic:

"A competitor PM'd me and some others about what the topic was for next year.

I am not sure whether I can confirm or deny anything quite yet since the nationals rules meeting is directly after nats (so has not happened yet). I believe I have previously stated this on the forums, so if you check the webinars that Donna put up (on the event supervisors one), then you would see it is likely to be young-stars/exoplanets again. But if you enjoy astronomy, just study all the topics! ;) "
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
swaggyp

Post by swaggyp »

I am going to really miss Simple Machines.... Wind Power... Really? :x :x
tinywings

Post by tinywings »

Just a quick question, someone may have already done this, but where is the tentative list posted? If someone could link me the address, that would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
chalker

Post by chalker »

swaggyp wrote:I am going to really miss Simple Machines.... Wind Power... Really? :x :x
Yes. It's a pretty cool event actually. Much like simple machines you have to prebuild something and get it tested at the tournament. There is also a written test about energy.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
chalker

Post by chalker »

tinywings wrote:Just a quick question, someone may have already done this, but where is the tentative list posted? If someone could link me the address, that would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
It's on the first page of this thread:
http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 50#p269497

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Fibonacci924
State: MN

Post by Fibonacci924 »

swaggyp wrote:I am going to really miss Simple Machines.... Wind Power... Really? :x :x
The tears are real. I believe that they are deliberately breaking our hearts.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Always remember: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Two time member of the Eternal Order of the Assassinators
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Fibonacci924 wrote:
The tears are real. I believe that they are deliberately breaking our hearts.
It seems like a fun event? What makes you dislike it?
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “General Competition”