Events 2015-2016?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Events 2015-2016?

Post by syo_astro » May 24th, 2015, 10:59 am

K-Meister wrote:For Game on, i don't know about everyone else but i think there should be the designing the game part and a written programming test like about java or something. I'm doing AP Comp Sci next year and im also doing CS50(if anyone knows what that is).
I will reassert that it is not really good to base a scioly programming event based off of AP CS, and I think others agree with me. Simpler way of putting it for me is that most people in science (and even most people in general I would argue?) do not really use Java, other languages act as better tools to introduce concepts/ideas (Scratch is one way, Python is another, C++ if you wanna go at it more rigorously), and lastly I think that science olympians shouldn't just have an edge by taking an AP class. I know the point is to enforce some kind of level of base testing to see how well you know your comp sci, but I feel the application aspect of it is where scioly generally leans towards in some manner that is fairly accessible to most people, which is something I do not think would be reflected by just making a written test off of Java-based AP CS (if you are interested, others on the forum are working on a CS event with a component like that, though).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

bobo
Been thanked: 0

Post by bobo » May 25th, 2015, 9:15 pm

None of the trial events for B div makes the cut??

Fluorine
State: FL

Post by Fluorine » May 25th, 2015, 9:37 pm

bobo wrote:None of the trial events for B div makes the cut??
Trial events are usually for the next next (next) year of SO
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard » May 25th, 2015, 10:27 pm

Fluorine wrote:
A trial event might not become official after one year possibly because there are already plenty of new events for the following season (so it is planned for later seasons) or it needs more testing to resolve any serious issues.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Post by Magikarpmaster629 » May 26th, 2015, 5:06 am

For those doing Invasive Species: you can sometimes find small field guide of invasives in state wildlife reserves (at least I could, depending how far reserves are, it could be worth the drive).
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 » May 26th, 2015, 7:22 pm

Does 6 weeks from July to Sept make a difference. It absolutely does, as a mentor I have access to some of the kids without it being in serious conflict with homework and the high number of other activities that many have. I can actually get into the gym which is impossible during the school year. I can get into serious discussions over truss designs, car and plane design over hot dogs on a Sat. Too many conflicts for too many after school starts. (not to mention 20+ other SO events)
Subject 2- I hope that robot arm never comes back again. It costs too darn much. Packing and shipping costs a small fortune for it also ( or run a serious risk of permanent damage)

bobo

Post by bobo » May 26th, 2015, 10:13 pm

bernard wrote:
Fluorine wrote:
A trial event might not become official after one year possibly because there are already plenty of new events for the following season (so it is planned for later seasons) or it needs more testing to resolve any serious issues.
Understand. Last year, both Air Trajectory and Bridge Building became official events. I am just surprised that none of the trial events makes it this year.

chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker » May 27th, 2015, 6:47 am

bernard wrote:
Fluorine wrote:

Exactly. We often do trial events for a couple years first. Roller Coaster is tentative scheduled to come in as a real event in 2017-2018 season. Other trial events are 'personal favorites' of the tournament director, who wants to bring them back even though they aren't currently scheduled for the rotation (sumobots and science bowl are examples of that).

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

cookiecuttersolution

Post by cookiecuttersolution » May 27th, 2015, 2:48 pm

Checking the tentative list schedule for Div. C, I noticed that a lot of events next year will be related to ecology/biology/environmental studies. However, there will be fewer chemistry/physics events than normal. Is Technical problem Solving definitely not going to be an event next year, and will there be any physics events that are not building events? (Besides It's About Time)

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Post by Magikarpmaster629 » May 27th, 2015, 2:52 pm

cookiecuttersolution wrote:Checking the tentative list schedule for Div. C, I noticed that a lot of events next year will be related to ecology/biology/environmental studies. However, there will be fewer chemistry/physics events than normal. Is Technical problem Solving definitely not going to be an event next year, and will there be any physics events that are not building events? (Besides It's About Time)
Wind Power is definitely a physics event. It is a half-build half-study event, but most physics events are.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Return to “General Competition”