Events 2015-2016?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Events 2015-2016?

Post by Adi1008 » June 29th, 2015, 11:04 am

Sciolapedia wrote:Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with the posts, but is there any chance Fermi comes back? Or is that completely out of question?

Also what is replacing cell bio after this upcoming year?
Fermi - almost certainly not going to come back
Cell bio - not being rotated out (i.e. is staying for 2015-16) so not being replaced by anything

EDIT: Can't read, the OP was asking what came after cell bio after this year lol. It's Microbe Mission.
Last edited by Adi1008 on June 29th, 2015, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

samlan16
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by samlan16 » June 29th, 2015, 11:30 am

Adi1008 wrote:
Sciolapedia wrote:Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with the posts, but is there any chance Fermi comes back? Or is that completely out of question?

Also what is replacing cell bio after this upcoming year?
Fermi - almost certainly not going to come back
Cell bio - not being rotated out (i.e. is staying for 2015-16) so not being replaced by anything
Hold on...

There are 27 words in Adi1008's comment. 27 is a multiple of 3. The numbers in Adi1008's username add up to 9. 9 is a multiple of 3. Triangles have 3 sides. I have 3 pieces of evidence. FERMI QUESTIONS confirmed!
Remember, we are proud of every team that participated and you are all winners.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro » June 29th, 2015, 11:44 am

Ahemmm, if we read the post correctly it says what comes AFTER Cell Bio, which would be Microbe Mission (my fave/only bio event!!!).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

samlan16

Post by samlan16 » June 29th, 2015, 8:01 pm

syo_astro wrote:Ahemmm, if we read the post correctly it says what comes AFTER Cell Bio, which would be Microbe Mission (my fave/only bio event!!!).
Nah, they're just rumors. It's what they want you to think. It's FERMI.

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Post by Magikarpmaster629 » June 29th, 2015, 8:09 pm

samlan16 wrote:
syo_astro wrote:Ahemmm, if we read the post correctly it says what comes AFTER Cell Bio, which would be Microbe Mission (my fave/only bio event!!!).
I'm pro-Microbe Mission :D
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

samlan16

Post by samlan16 » June 29th, 2015, 8:23 pm

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
samlan16 wrote:
I'm pro-Microbe Mission :D
Whatever you want to believe.

wlmeng11
Division: C
State: CA

Post by wlmeng11 » July 2nd, 2015, 8:17 pm

iwonder wrote:It'll be very interesting to see Electric Vehicle pan out now that stepper motors, encoders, motor drivers and processors are so easy to come by. I know most of the time y'all just ban them outright, but that was always a big disappointment personally, it really limits the electronic solutions (which alternatively would make a great learning experience for students ;) )
This probably won't happen, but I think it would be really cool if they banned microcontrollers for Electric Vehicle but not integrated circuits in general, so that teams could use stepper motors but would have to design counting and timing circuits instead of just preprogramming a microcontroller to run for a specified length of time. However, this would require event supervisors to actually be knowledgeable enough in electronics to identify chips and read datasheets. :lol: (and even then, there could always be someone who decaps a discrete IC to hide a microcontroller inside)

Another option would be to ban ICs, but allow passives and discrete active components (like they did for Mission Possible and Maglev the past few years), which would probably lead to some interesting analog solutions... or people building 555 timers out of transistors. :lol:
Palo Alto High School

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 » July 3rd, 2015, 12:05 am

wlmeng11 wrote:
iwonder wrote:It'll be very interesting to see Electric Vehicle pan out now that stepper motors, encoders, motor drivers and processors are so easy to come by. I know most of the time y'all just ban them outright, but that was always a big disappointment personally, it really limits the electronic solutions (which alternatively would make a great learning experience for students ;) )
This probably won't happen, but I think it would be really cool if they banned microcontrollers for Electric Vehicle but not integrated circuits in general, so that teams could use stepper motors but would have to design counting and timing circuits instead of just preprogramming a microcontroller to run for a specified length of time. However, this would require event supervisors to actually be knowledgeable enough in electronics to identify chips and read datasheets. :lol: (and even then, there could always be someone who decaps a discrete IC to hide a microcontroller inside)

Another option would be to ban ICs, but allow passives and discrete active components (like they did for Mission Possible and Maglev the past few years), which would probably lead to some interesting analog solutions... or people building 555 timers out of transistors. :lol:
I think the best way to make this event harder due to the incredibly high scores from 2008-2009 would be to incorporate a bonus like scrambler's going around the can. This adds significant difficulty to the task as i observed competing in scrambler.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

vennowsah
State: CA

Post by vennowsah » July 20th, 2015, 10:36 pm

The 2015/16 events look pretty good, but I have some concerns regarding Anatomy and Physiology. First of all, how come the integumentary system, instead of cardiovascular, is being tested along with Skeletal and Muscular? Don't systems rotate out every two years? Integumentary has been around for two years, while cardiovascular has only been in rotation for one. Has there been changes to these rules that I was unaware of? Will cardiovascular ever come back into rotation? Thanks! And sorry if I'm missing something
MLKHS '18
MIT '22

Expectations low, hopes high

Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome » July 21st, 2015, 11:20 am

vennowsah wrote:The 2015/16 events look pretty good, but I have some concerns regarding Anatomy and Physiology. First of all, how come the integumentary system, instead of cardiovascular, is being tested along with Skeletal and Muscular? Don't systems rotate out every two years? Integumentary has been around for two years, while cardiovascular has only been in rotation for one. Has there been changes to these rules that I was unaware of? Will cardiovascular ever come back into rotation? Thanks! And sorry if I'm missing something
I've been wondering as well. Perhaps they've switched to rotating each event after three years, since there are now three per year.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “General Competition”