Events 2016-2017

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
embokim
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Events 2016-2017

Post by embokim »

Hello, i have just done my state competition in which our team got last place but that is besides the point. I went on this forum last year and posted a question about what the predictions will be next year and they predicted all of the events correctly. So I just wanted to pose a topic to get a list of next years division C events. it would help a lot. Also how do you hold team tryouts and when do you hold them? Thanks
Happy to be here
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Events 2016-2017

Post by Unome »

Here's the event list (DOCUMENT DELETED) posted by John Richardsim compiled from the SOSI schedule. Unless the schedule has changed, it should be accurate. With regards to topic changes, here are my best guesses (for Div C, since I presume that you're now in C):
Anatomy & Physiology will switch to Nervous, Endocrine, and Sense Organs (this is on the powerpoint on soinc.org)
Astronomy will likely change topics, although I have no idea what it will change to.
Dynamic Planet will go to Earthquakes & Volcanoes (based on the current rotation system, which has remained unchanged for at least a decade).
Chem Lab - Kinetics will rotate out, most likely to be replaced by any of Thermodynamics, Acids & Bases, or Aqueous Solutions. Gases will likely remain.
Disease Detectives will probably change topics, since Population Growth has been around for a while, although I have no idea what it will change to.
Last edited by John Richardsim on September 22nd, 2016, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted the document. For some reason, although I'm pretty sure it was publicly visible, I am still receiving requests to access the document.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
embokim

Post by embokim »

Thanks that really helped, but do you have any tips for tryouts?
Happy to be here
Unome

Post by Unome »

embokim wrote:Thanks that really helped, but do you have any tips for tryouts?
If you're talking about your school's tryouts, then this depends vastly on how your school runs their program.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Uber
State: TX

Post by Uber »

Dang, full replacement of anatomy
Harvard '22
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '18
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Tentative focuses for events:
Anatomy & Physiology (Nervous, Sense Organs, Endocrine)
Chemistry Lab (Thermodynamics/Gas Laws)
Disease Detectives (Food Illness)
Dynamic Planet (Tectonics)
Meterology (Severe Storms)
embokim wrote:Thanks that really helped, but do you have any tips for tryouts?
If you're a captain on your team, participate in Captains Tryouts! See: Captains Tryouts Wiki. It was run this season, the page just hasn't been updated and tests haven't been uploaded publicly.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
watermydoing14
State: WA

Post by watermydoing14 »

This year, our team held tryouts like this: there was a test for every study event, and everyone that wanted to be placed on that event had to take the test. We didn't run tryouts for build events because we generally assign build events by students' past experience with build events and Science Olympiad. We ran limited tryouts for lab events, depending on whether or not we could get materials for the lab. After tryouts, we built teams based on the relative scores on the tests. I highly recommend participating in the Captains Tryouts that bernard posted about. If you only have tests from the scioly.org wiki, your tryout results will be very unreliable, especially for events that allow a binder or laptop during the test because students will have the tests and keys in their resources when they take the test.
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
chaguy2457

Post by chaguy2457 »

Unome wrote:Here's the event list (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MtP ... sp=sharing) posted by John Richardsim compiled from the SOSI schedule. Unless the schedule has changed, it should be accurate. With regards to topic changes, here are my best guesses (for Div C, since I presume that you're now in C):
Anatomy & Physiology will switch to Nervous, Endocrine, and Sense Organs (this is on the powerpoint on soinc.org)
Astronomy will likely change topics, although I have no idea what it will change to.
Dynamic Planet will go to Earthquakes & Volcanoes (based on the current rotation system, which has remained unchanged for at least a decade).
Chem Lab - Kinetics will rotate out, most likely to be replaced by any of Thermodynamics, Acids & Bases, or Aqueous Solutions. Gases will likely remain.
Disease Detectives will probably change topics, since Population Growth has been around for a while, although I have no idea what it will change to.
I don't think Fossils is switching to Rocks and Minerals for 2017. It's a three year rotation, and 2017 will be the third year of the rotation (Rocks and Minerals was last offered in 2014).
Captain

Bold indicates main event
2016 Events: Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Forensics, Fossils, Game On, Green Generation, It's About Time
Medal Count: 3

2017 Events: Experimental Design, Game On, Hovercraft, Rocks and Minerals, Herpetology, Wind Power
Medal Count: 3
varunscs11
State: PA

Post by varunscs11 »

Im praying that Rocks doesn't come back
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
Unome

Post by Unome »

chaguy2457 wrote:
Unome wrote:Here's the event list (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MtP ... sp=sharing) posted by John Richardsim compiled from the SOSI schedule. Unless the schedule has changed, it should be accurate. With regards to topic changes, here are my best guesses (for Div C, since I presume that you're now in C):
I don't think Fossils is switching to Rocks and Minerals for 2017. It's a three year rotation, and 2017 will be the third year of the rotation (Rocks and Minerals was last offered in 2014).
The list was compiled from the SOSI schedule, and so reflects whatever the rules committees are thinking of doing at the moment. Fossils and Rocks have been three years each for at least a decade, but it looks like they decided to change that.
Userpage

Return to “General Competition”