Events 2016-2017

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
cemsc10
Division: B
State: OH

Re: Events 2016-2017

Postby cemsc10 » May 1st, 2016, 6:29 pm

Does anyone know what Dynamic Planet should be covering next year? I've heard Earthquakes and Volcanoes, but I wasn't sure if that was exactly the case.
Tectonics, but of course until rules are released it is tentative.

How come there is a sudden change in the cycle?
An disease detective who happens to experiment with meteorology when she is sick of testing her scrambler.

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
State: GA

Postby rfscoach » May 1st, 2016, 7:02 pm

Does anyone know what Dynamic Planet should be covering next year? I've heard Earthquakes and Volcanoes, but I wasn't sure if that was exactly the case.

"Tectonics" and "Earthquake and Volcanoes" are the same thing, as one is what causes the other...
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

cemsc10
State: OH

Postby cemsc10 » May 2nd, 2016, 3:57 pm

"Tectonics" and "Earthquake and Volcanoes" are the same thing, as one is what causes the other...
Oh, I thought like in addition to name change they would only focus on one topic, rather than the other. Like not go into detail about types of volcanoes and earthquakes, and rather just focus on the tectonics. I guess we have to wait until rules to officially see! :(
An disease detective who happens to experiment with meteorology when she is sick of testing her scrambler.

kaon
State: IL

Postby kaon » May 4th, 2016, 10:30 am

Are the topics for "shared" B & C events (like Anatomy & Physiology, Dynamic Planet, etc.) likely to be the same? #noobquestions

JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Postby JasperKota » May 4th, 2016, 11:22 am

Are the topics for "shared" B & C events (like Anatomy & Physiology, Dynamic Planet, etc.) likely to be the same? #noobquestions
yes
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives

kaon
State: IL

Postby kaon » May 4th, 2016, 11:26 am

yes
THANK YOU!

SenseiSushi
State: PA

Postby SenseiSushi » May 4th, 2016, 11:28 am

I'm going to assume that they are going to be extremely similar. Experimental Design and Green Generation are examples of this, however the C Division version of the events usually covers some extra topics.
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st

Entomology
State: CA

Postby Entomology » May 5th, 2016, 6:59 pm

It's near the end of the season, so I"m going to put out my usual offer regarding the rules. We're always interested in hearing feedback / suggestions on changes to make next year. The day after the National Tournament the rules committee will meet to try to lock down the rules for the next season. While I can't guarantee we'll adopt suggestions made here, I can at least promise we'll listen to them and consider them.
Road Scholar - Please provide rules and guidelines for facilitator/event organizer to provide room with tables large enough for individual team to open and view maps. A class room with individual small desks is hard for team to work together and have any surface area to open the map
This will be chalker's response:
Keep in mind there are something like 300 regional tournaments that will be held this year, every one run by a different event supervisor. Not all event supervisors will be this diligent to details, nor have the resources they need available.

I mean, fossils for a third year would be great, but rocks is okay too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle

I_wilsonp

Postby I_wilsonp » May 8th, 2016, 5:14 pm

It was a real pain that this year the voltage limit for Electric Vehicle was 7.2V, when lithium ion batteries are either 3.7V or 7.4V. Leaves us stuck with temperamental NiMH batteries when Li-ions are so much easier to use.

valjean
State: IN

Postby valjean » May 9th, 2016, 9:37 am

Does anybody know what the topics for Astronomy will be next year?
Astronomy Remote Sensing Hovercraft :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “General Competition”