What Is a Good Number of Events?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
calvin102111
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What Is a Good Number of Events?

Post by calvin102111 » April 29th, 2016, 2:23 pm

Hey all. I was just curious on what different people and teams saw as a proper number of events. I was thinking around 3, but as you can see from my signature, my coach didn't agree. Our team just recently got a new coach, so I was just curious what people that might have had a bit more experience (I've been in SciOly for 2 years) thought.
Captain for 2016/17 Season

Projected Events: Wind Power; Dynamic Planet; Ecology; Optics; R & M; WIDI

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Re: What Is a Good Number of Events?

Post by rfscoach » April 29th, 2016, 2:49 pm

calvin102111 wrote:Hey all. I was just curious on what different people and teams saw as a proper number of events. I was thinking around 3, but as you can see from my signature, my coach didn't agree. Our team just recently got a new coach, so I was just curious what people that might have had a bit more experience (I've been in SciOly for 2 years) thought.
On our team, 3 is the minimum number of events you can study and still be on the team. 7th,8th and 9th graders are encouraged to participate in 4-6 events. This allows coaches flexibility when dealing with different event conflicts.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

Fluorine
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by Fluorine » April 29th, 2016, 3:29 pm

rfscoach wrote:
calvin102111 wrote:Hey all. I was just curious on what different people and teams saw as a proper number of events. I was thinking around 3, but as you can see from my signature, my coach didn't agree. Our team just recently got a new coach, so I was just curious what people that might have had a bit more experience (I've been in SciOly for 2 years) thought.
On our team, 3 is the minimum number of events you can study and still be on the team. 7th,8th and 9th graders are encouraged to participate in 4-6 events. This allows coaches flexibility when dealing with different event conflicts.
Personally I have varied from doing 3,4 and then 6 events this year. From experience I think it really depends on the time commitment you have for SO. If you really love SO 6 events really doesn't feel like a lot of work. One of the key things to keep in mind with how many events you do is that if you have done an event before doing it for another year is not as time consuming. For example if you did Fossils one year and then you do it again it should not require as much prep time. Overall, if your starting off I would recommend 3 but if you have a bit of experience go with 4-5. And if you are really into SO then more than that!
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling

T-55M
State: MD

Post by T-55M » April 29th, 2016, 4:48 pm

Our team ranges from 2 events to two people with five events. But one of the people with 5 events is really good at them. Somehow he's really good at everything; I don't understand it.

How many events you can tolerate also depends on whether a large proportion of your events are builds. It's hard to successfully do more than 3 or 4 builds per person, especially at regionals/states where the competition is usually at a big college, and impounding/transporting builds becomes an issue.
"Hold what you got and hit them where you can." --Ernest J. King, CNO

Regionals/States/Nats:
Materials Science 2/2/8, Chemistry Lab 1/2/4, Electric Vehicle 58/2/28, Astronomy 2/3/40, Wind Power 9/4/24, Optics 27/17/11, Robot Arm 57/1/X (EV, Robot DQ'd at regionals)

don't do builds

Unome

Post by Unome » April 29th, 2016, 5:17 pm

I've done anywhere from 5 to 8 over the course of a year, and competed in anywhere from 3 to 6 at a single competition, although I've heard of people doing more (for example, last year John Richardsim prepared for 10 events and competed in seven at Nationals, and I think foreverphysics and winneratlife have both done 9 or 10 at a single competition, although that's really pushing it to the extremes). The "proper" number is more determined by the individual person and how dedicated they are; some people work best with 2 or 3 events, and some (like me :) ) get bored doing less than 4 or 5. If you've finished two years and roughly 4 or 5 competitions, dedication rather than experience should be the primary determinant in how many events you do. Also it's possible (in fact I'd say it's likely) that the reason that your coach put you in more events is that they were having trouble finding competent people for those events.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

calvin102111

Post by calvin102111 » April 29th, 2016, 6:29 pm

Unome wrote: Also it's possible (in fact I'd say it's likely) that the reason that your coach put you in more events is that they were having trouble finding competent people for those events.
You aren't wrong there, my coach said that her reasoning for it was because she needed someone that was reliable enough to handle them. For me, it was just a problem because I was put into an event like Mission Possible 2 weeks before our state competition.

Unome

Post by Unome » April 29th, 2016, 6:38 pm

calvin102111 wrote:
Unome wrote: Also it's possible (in fact I'd say it's likely) that the reason that your coach put you in more events is that they were having trouble finding competent people for those events.
You aren't wrong there, my coach said that her reasoning for it was because she needed someone that was reliable enough to handle them. For me, it was just a problem because I was put into an event like Mission Possible 2 weeks before our state competition.
You'll get used to this sort of thing; this is part of the reason why I try to learn the basics of all of the events for the year over the summer, in case I get thrown into them (did you have to build the Mission in 2 weeks? that would be horrific)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

calvin102111

Post by calvin102111 » April 29th, 2016, 7:23 pm

Unome wrote: You'll get used to this sort of thing; this is part of the reason why I try to learn the basics of all of the events for the year over the summer, in case I get thrown into them (did you have to build the Mission in 2 weeks? that would be horrific)
We had an already set up device, but it took tweaking to get it working. Luckily, I had a partner who had worked on it and was very dedicated, so we ended up finishing it and doing decently (6th place). EDIT: it's fair to note that I put most of my time into Wind Power, which was... not very smart, as it definitely harmed my other events.

samlan16
State: TN

Post by samlan16 » April 29th, 2016, 7:32 pm

The honest answer is that it depends for everyone. While I was always passionate about doing so many events (the most I ever did in one season was 7), most other people on my team only do 2-3 because of outside commitments they prioritize more.

I will add, though, that because I was more versatile as a competitor, what usually happened was that I would be placed on stacked teams at invitationals and would have as many events as time slots. Consequentially, I would win more medals than everyone else, which made me even more of a priority for the state team. (Seeing that I was the only person to do 6 events this year on my team- mind you that I'm a senior and most seniors either quit or get lazy- it was practically guaranteed that I would make the team.)

If you really want to make state and carry your team to the top 5 or even nats, consider doing 4 or more events. Otherwise, if you are doing SciOly for the sake of it and don't care, stick to 2-3. Since you had the motivation to get on the forums, I assume the former applies.
Remember, we are proud of every team that participated and you are all winners.

calvin102111

Post by calvin102111 » April 29th, 2016, 7:39 pm

samlan16 wrote:The honest answer is that it depends for everyone. While I was always passionate about doing so many events (the most I ever did in one season was 7), most other people on my team only do 2-3 because of outside commitments they prioritize more.

I will add, though, that because I was more versatile as a competitor, what usually happened was that I would be placed on stacked teams at invitationals and would have as many events as time slots. Consequentially, I would win more medals than everyone else, which made me even more of a priority for the state team. (Seeing that I was the only person to do 6 events this year on my team- mind you that I'm a senior and most seniors either quit or get lazy- it was practically guaranteed that I would make the team.)

If you really want to make state and carry your team to the top 5 or even nats, consider doing 4 or more events. Otherwise, if you are doing SciOly for the sake of it and don't care, stick to 2-3. Since you had the motivation to get on the forums, I assume the former applies.
I have basically fallen in love with SciOly. It's unfortunate that Indiana missed the cutoff for sending 2 teams this year, or else we would have qualified for nats. I currently plan on doing around 4 events next year, as it will be my last year in division B and I would really like to have my team do as best as possible. I know that I can handle it, I just need to work more efficiently.

Return to “General Competition”