What Is a Good Number of Events?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What Is a Good Number of Events?

Post by zyzzyva980 » April 29th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Fluorine
State: FL

Post by Fluorine » April 29th, 2016, 11:05 pm

zyzzyva980 wrote:23
People on my team joke that if 23 events were possible I would be the one to do all of them. Honestly once you get hooked on SO doing literally any event seems like a blast. I "waste" too much time going over possible next year events and then getting way over excited about what I want to do over the summer to prep for them.

Phys1cs
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs » May 1st, 2016, 5:33 am

People on my team do anywhere from 2-4. We try not to have the people who do one event (especially seniors, with the 7 seniors on a C team limit).

This being my third year as team captain, somehow I ended the year with 7 events, (3 builds, a lab event and 3 study). I can't tell you how I did it, but I definitely do not recommend it. it becomes very hard to dedicate enough time to each event to do well in each one.

Fanglin
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Fanglin » May 1st, 2016, 5:58 pm

I think a manageable amount is about 5~7 events, because it gives your coach more flexibility for coordination competitions and state/nats teams. I did 6 events this year, and I only took 5 of them seriously. The 6th one, (crime busters) already had 3 people who were really good, so there is no chance that I would make the state team for that event. Also I partially wanted to do it because its FUN! Some events you just got to do before they rotate out, and you never get to do them.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri » May 2nd, 2016, 12:30 pm

Generally, 3 to 4. Sometimes people end up with 5 because they're just that good at scioly or because the team is undermanned; sometimes people only do 2 because their events are really time-consuming. Upperclassmen usually end up with more events just because they've taken AP Physics/Chem/whatever and therefore have a better background for the Physical Science events.

The average number of events/person is just over 3 for a full team -- (23 events * ~2 people/event) / 15 people. Of course, that number goes up if you have people helping with events that they won't be competing in (such as builds), but on average you should be competing in 3 or 4 events at any given competition.

I did 4 events throughout most of high school, and for me, that was a good number since I had other commitments (district orchestra, marching band, etc). I did do 5 once, which actually wasn't awful because it was in Div B, and because some of the events were relatively easy to prepare for. However, I remember being quite tired and grumpy by the end of the day due to having several events in a row and not really having a lunch break.

Over the course of a season, I'd usually end up doing 5-7, just because of team reshuffling after invites and scheduling conflicts, but I'd only be working on ~4 at a time, which made it manageable.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

hmcginny
State: PA

Post by hmcginny » May 3rd, 2016, 10:19 pm

I think it depends a lot on what year you are in school, and what events you have past experience with. Like as a senior, it makes more sense that you'd be up in the 4-6 event range, while when you're a sophomore you might only be doing 2-3. You have more experience with events and with difficult material (see Alpha's comment about AP classes, etc..).

I didn't compete my freshman or sophomore years, just helped with building events, though my sophomore year I probably competed in 3-4 events at invitationals and was a reasonable alternate for an event or two (just not good enough for the competition team). My junior year I competed in 4 events and routinely helped run two building events (which I wasn't the primary person on, more in for moral support/an extra pair of hands/making sure we followed all rules). My senior year, I competed in 6 events at every competition and could have potentially been an alternate for a seventh if conflicts occurred. That's probably excessive (you don't get any break at a standard competition), but I loved every second of it.

Typically, I think it's a good idea to continue whichever of your events still exist year-to-year, but add 2-3 new events every year. So I always did WIDI, added Sounds, Fermi and Thermo junior year. Kept WIDI, Thermo, Fermi, then added Maglev, Chem Lab, TPS senior year. Definitely works for some events where the core material doesn't change year-to-year. The three I kept between junior and senior year were essentially the same events both years (albeit with a new build for Thermo). Year-to-year experience is pretty important, in my opinion.
Harriton 2013 (Captain 2012-2013)
Penn 2017

2014 PA State Compound Machines Supervisor

Past Events: Fermi, Thermo, WIDI, Maglev, TPS, Chem Lab, Mission, Sounds, Trajectory, Mousetrap, etc.

SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY

Post by SPP SciO » May 4th, 2016, 9:48 am

Ideally, an event with a partner is a 50/50 split of preparation and participation at competition, but in reality, it's tough to achieve that balance. When we start the year, we want each student to focus on one event - eventually, they become the "lead" in that event. Obviously, some stronger students need to lead a 2nd event as well - but that's it.

Only later in the year (October/November) do the coaches start seeing the strengths and weaknesses, social dynamics, scheduling conflicts, and all that - then, we can create the event teams. On our team this year, there was a range of 2-5 events per student with the typical number being 3. However, each student only was the "lead" on 1-2. The "leads" are responsible for teaching their partners and making sure preparation is going well.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

gavinnupp
Division: C
State: OH

Post by gavinnupp » May 6th, 2016, 1:48 pm

46 (all of em) :shock:
Certified Enviro-nerd
Ecology, Invasive Species, R&M (R/S '17)
3/2
1/~
2/~

samlan16
State: TN

Post by samlan16 » May 7th, 2016, 8:42 am

gavinnupp wrote:46 (all of em) :shock:
1) Provided you are in 9th grade and have not chosen B or C yet.
2) You double counted several events, like ExpD, Bridges, and WIDI.
3) Two energy drinks would not be enough.
Remember, we are proud of every team that participated and you are all winners.

Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome » May 7th, 2016, 10:57 am

samlan16 wrote:
gavinnupp wrote:46 (all of em) :shock:
1) Provided you are in 9th grade and have not chosen B or C yet.
2) You double counted several events, like ExpD, Bridges, and WIDI.
3) Two energy drinks would not be enough.
In addition to energy drinks, you would also need to be very fast and likely have a teleporter to move between event rooms.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “General Competition”