Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2016

Post by mnstrviola »

chaguy2457 wrote:I sent in my submission two days ago...whoops...I hope you guys can review it without me re-submitting.
No need; we're just going to sit on it for a while until we finalize mod assignments.

One more day! :mrgreen:
Entomology
Division: C

Re: Summer Scioly Study Session 2016

Post by Entomology »

mnstrviola wrote: Sounds of Music C

If I am correct, sounds of music will not be an event next year, according to the tentative event list.

Edit: Nevermind, I scrolled back to see that it was already mentioned.
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
mnstrviola

Post by mnstrviola »

Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone who applied to mod. All applicants were super qualified, so it really boiled down to choosing a set whose events complemented each other versus choosing the "more qualified" people, if that makes sense. I really appreciated the enthusiasm from all who applied to help out this year.

I also appreciate our numerous early submissions - it's looking like this will be our biggest year yet! We will hopefully get started with reviewing them next week, so sit tight :)

A miscellaneous note: for Experimental Design, we are going to ask for extra additions for a test submission (since a test is essentially a topic plus a list of materials, which doesn't take that long to make). Examples of additions include graded sample responses, notes or just writing a large handful of tests. The submission as a whole should take as much effort as someone writing a test for any other study event, like Dynamic Planet or Anatomy.
cemsc10
Division: B
State: OH

Post by cemsc10 »

mnstrviola wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone who applied to mod. All applicants were super qualified, so it really boiled down to choosing a set whose events complemented each other versus choosing the "more qualified" people, if that makes sense. I really appreciated the enthusiasm from all who applied to help out this year.

I also appreciate our numerous early submissions - it's looking like this will be our biggest year yet! We will hopefully get started with reviewing them next week, so sit tight :)

A miscellaneous note: for Experimental Design, we are going to ask for extra additions for a test submission (since a test is essentially a topic plus a list of materials, which doesn't take that long to make). Examples of additions include graded sample responses, notes or just writing a large handful of tests. The submission as a whole should take as much effort as someone writing a test for any other study event, like Dynamic Planet or Anatomy.
I turned in my application for Experimental before this was posted, should I just revise and then send again?

EDIT: I will just make four more tests, and then have five total, hopefully that's okay. I'll email it in again in like an hour.
An disease detective who happens to experiment with meteorology when she is sick of testing her scrambler.
MeeghanShoe

Post by MeeghanShoe »

Are groups of people allowed to work on review sheets together? Will they all receive access to the files shared in SSSS?
mnstrviola

Post by mnstrviola »

MeeghanShoe wrote:Are groups of people allowed to work on review sheets together? Will they all receive access to the files shared in SSSS?
Yes. We highly prefer individual submissions for tests, but collaborative notes are ok. Of course, the standards for the submission would be twice (or whatever proportional multiplier) as high, in terms of quantity and quality.
mnstrviola

Post by mnstrviola »

The SSSS resources are now accessible for those whose submissions have been approved :) We have good number of high-quality stuff so far - looking forward to reviewing more submissions!
Fluorine
State: FL

Post by Fluorine »

Since it has been a month since SSSS 2016 started. Can we have a stat update on types of submissions submitted? Started my summer SO studying and trying to decide what event I should submit notes for.
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
mnstrviola

Post by mnstrviola »

Fluorine wrote:Since it has been a month since SSSS 2016 started. Can we have a stat update on types of submissions submitted? Started my summer SO studying and trying to decide what event I should submit notes for.
Sure. Here is a list of submissions as of this posting. I included those that have been rejected (for now!) and those that are still pending.

Anatomy Test
Astronomy Notes
Chemistry Lab Test
Disease Detectives Notes
Disease Detectives Test
Disease Detectives Test
Ecology Test
Ecology Test
Ecology Test
Experimental Design Tests
Experimental Design Test
Fast Facts Test
Food Science Test
Forensics Test
Forensics Test
Game On Event Guide
Hydrogeology Test
Invasive Species Test
Invasive Species Notes
Invasive Species Test
Rocks and Minerals Test
Wind Power Test

Lots of good stuff already. Keep in mind SSSS will continue until Mid-August, and from memory we tend to accept more submissions in the latter half as people take time to draft their submissions and edit after initial rejection.

We would especially appreciate receiving submissions for events which we currently do not have resources for, so thanks for asking :)
Last edited by mnstrviola on July 5th, 2016, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

mnstrviola wrote: Astronomy Notes
Looks like I was beat to it :/ Also Anatomy comes before Astronomy alphabetically and it's kinda bothering me
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Return to “SSSS & SEC”