SOSI 2016: AMA (Ask Me Anything at the Summer Institute)

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
heavymama
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: SOSI 2016: AMA (Ask Me Anything at the Summer Institute)

Post by heavymama »

SOPomo, do you know anything about how much the invasives list will change from last year?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions!
SOPomo

Post by SOPomo »

heavymama wrote:SOPomo, do you know anything about how much the invasives list will change from last year?
Currently looks exactly the same.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

What are the topics for dynamic planet? How many cheat sheets? What kind of calculator? Thanks
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
heavymama

Post by heavymama »

SOPomo wrote:
heavymama wrote:SOPomo, do you know anything about how much the invasives list will change from last year?
Currently looks exactly the same.
Thank you!! :D
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

windu34 wrote:What are the topics for dynamic planet? How many cheat sheets? What kind of calculator? Thanks
I think the topics is tectonics (like tectonic plates and volcanoes and stuff). Don't know any of your other questions though :/
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
sahil31415
Division: C

Post by sahil31415 »

Hello,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Could you please see if there are any changes to the topics in the Optics Rules (theoretical portion, Physical & Geometric Optics) as well as any changes to the experimental portion (Laser Shoot)?
In addition, could you please see when Astronomy will be discussed in the SOSI Session?

Thank you very much!
SOPomo

Post by SOPomo »

Astronomy is Thursday, but if it's a simple rule question I can potentially check that.
SOPomo

Post by SOPomo »

windu34 wrote:What are the topics for dynamic planet? How many cheat sheets? What kind of calculator? Thanks
DP: Tectonics, 4 note pages, a non-graphing calculator
sahil31415 wrote:Could you please see if there are any changes to the topics in the Optics Rules (theoretical portion, Physical & Geometric Optics) as well as any changes to the experimental portion (Laser Shoot)?
There are almost no bolded changes anywhere on Optics rules at the moment. But, this is my first year with this event so I don't know if anything really changed.
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman »

Hey all,

There was a tad bit of miscommunication regarding this thread, and it was hidden for a short period of time. I apologize that this looked like censorship and would like to remind all users that we do our best to always avoid removing content and censoring threads. We have had to discuss some issues that this thread has raised.

In general, draft rules are considered complete property of NSO and as such, they usually ask people to refrain from sharing the draft rules. However in terms of Scioly.org policy, we will continue to follow our general guide that we use for all NSO rules.

In terms of Scioly.org policy, we will continue to follow our general guide that we use for all NSO rules:
1. No full scans or pictures of rules may be posted, uploaded, or linked on Scioly.org under any circumstances.
2. When quoting rules, limit your posts to one line of rules, preferably paraphrased (but with attribution). Direct quoting should be limited to issues regarding the phrasing of rules rather than discussions over the intent of rules (see rule 3).
3. If you must refer to something larger than one line of rules, you should simply refer to the appropriate section number and subsection number. (e.g. 2.a, 2.b, and 2.c).
4. Violations of these rules will result in bans or warnings assessed to your account, depending on how egregious the violation is.

Remember that rules are property of NSO, and are one of their ways that they make money so that Science Olympiad can continue to let us have fun! Let's try to be courteous to the spirit of their rules regarding releasing rules as well as the spirit of the rules they release.

If you have any issues regarding this or have any suggestions for myself or the staff regarding a better way to handle issues please don't hesitate to PM me.
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
SOPomo

Post by SOPomo »

Thanks for the clarifications. Easy rules to follow. I didn't know exactly who to approach regarding a thread like this, and I knew the scans/photos would be a no-go, so 2-4 are much more nicely spelled out as guidelines for me/others to follow. Cheers, robotman, and thanks!

Return to “General Competition”