SOSI 2016: AMA (Ask Me Anything at the Summer Institute)

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: SOSI 2016: AMA (Ask Me Anything at the Summer Institute)

Postby chalker » July 20th, 2016, 5:31 am

There are almost no bolded changes anywhere on Optics rules at the moment. But, this is my first year with this event so I don't know if anything really changed.
Note, we typically only put bolded changes in events that were in last year. Optics has been out for several years. There are some moderate changes in the event, but they aren't explicitly called out. In general it's mostly the same concepts/procedures as in past years, with some better language to describe everything more consistently with how we describe things in other Physics events. There is also a special new 'bonus' in the Laser Shoot.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

0ddrenaline
State: MI

Postby 0ddrenaline » July 20th, 2016, 5:43 am

Huh, no bonuses or unusual requirements in Wind Power? Then I assume there's just a change in max blade size, right? I guess it's not unusual for physics events to be similar throughout years, like It's About Time in the past two years.

JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Postby JonB » July 20th, 2016, 5:52 am

There are almost no bolded changes anywhere on Optics rules at the moment. But, this is my first year with this event so I don't know if anything really changed.
Note, we typically only put bolded changes in events that were in last year. Optics has been out for several years. There are some moderate changes in the event, but they aren't explicitly called out. In general it's mostly the same concepts/procedures as in past years, with some better language to describe everything more consistently with how we describe things in other Physics events. There is also a special new 'bonus' in the Laser Shoot.

Is Optics this year going to be similar to the 2011 or 2012 version of the event? Also, are you willing to share what the idea of the new bonus is as of the draft version of the rules?

As always, thanks!

windu34

Postby windu34 » July 20th, 2016, 6:28 am

What are the new dimensions for electric vehicle? Are integrated circuits and brushless motors still allowed? (Is there any language in the rules specifically prohibiting them) Are there any specific changes besides the bonus?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

SOPomo

Postby SOPomo » July 20th, 2016, 8:21 am

That's good to know, I've replied like that several times I think with a "doesn't look like any changes but what do I know" 3rd-yr-coach reply. A couple people starting posting the old stuff for comparison, heh.

Back at it today, we'll see if there's an EV answer / clarification on the bonus by lunch.

windu34

Postby windu34 » July 20th, 2016, 8:25 am

That's good to know, I've replied like that several times I think with a "doesn't look like any changes but what do I know" 3rd-yr-coach reply. A couple people starting posting the old stuff for comparison, heh.

Back at it today, we'll see if there's an EV answer / clarification on the bonus by lunch.
Chalker clarified in the EV forum. Also ask whether the cans will be placed halfway between the start tie and end time lines or between the start line and target line (variable from 9-12m?)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

RJohnson
State: OH

Postby RJohnson » July 20th, 2016, 8:50 am

Is Robot Arm scored as the best of two runs or the sum of the two runs?

Thanks!

ampy1234567
State: MN

Postby ampy1234567 » July 20th, 2016, 9:37 am

Hmm...

Microbe mission/rocks and minerals: any changes to the lists?
Optics: any changes to point values of the laser shoot and the test? Also, do the laser shoot materials still have to be kept in the binder?
Mounds View High School, 10th grade

2016 Nationals: Dynamic (2), Disease (6), Crave (8), Fossils (22)
2017 Nationals: Disease (1), Dynamic (2), Optics (5)

0ddrenaline
State: MI

Postby 0ddrenaline » July 20th, 2016, 10:24 am

Thanks!
If the point total is tied between two competitors, the shortest sum wins.

SOPomo

Postby SOPomo » July 20th, 2016, 11:13 am

Huh, no bonuses or unusual requirements in Wind Power? Then I assume there's just a change in max blade size, right? I guess it's not unusual for physics events to be similar throughout years, like It's About Time in the past two years.
Blades are 20" for B and 14" for C.
Is Optics this year going to be similar to the 2011 or 2012 version of the event? Also, are you willing to share what the idea of the new bonus is as of the draft version of the rules?

As always, thanks!
Similar, yes. I'm not sure what it used to be like, but there is a mirror on the fixed barrier this year which might be a new thing? I've never done the event before, so.
What are the new dimensions for electric vehicle? Are integrated circuits and brushless motors still allowed? (Is there any language in the rules specifically prohibiting them) Are there any specific changes besides the bonus?
Looks like 30x60cm max. I don't see anything about circuits / motors.
Also ask whether the cans will be placed halfway between the start tie and end time lines or between the start line and target line (variable from 9-12m?)
Start and target lines
Currently sum
Microbe mission/rocks and minerals: any changes to the lists?
Optics: any changes to point values of the laser shoot and the test? Also, do the laser shoot materials still have to be kept in the binder?
MM: Unknown since I've never done it before, but it's covered tomorrow.
R&M: It's the same 93? from before from what we discussed yesterday, but it's organized by type instead of alphabetically now on the rule page. Seems to just be a formatting thing, really.
Optics: Unknown if the point values changed as I haven't done the event before, but not much discussion on it yesterday leads me to think 'not really'. Also, all materials have to be initially kept in the binder, yes. But you can place stuff on the board if you have stuff when you're shooting.

Return to “General Competition”