Does anyone do science bowl or bio olympiad?

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
CVMSAvalacheStudent
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does anyone do science bowl or bio olympiad?

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent » October 4th, 2017, 9:50 pm

Bio Olympiad? What do you do in that? I'm kind of interested if only California offered it.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple » October 5th, 2017, 11:28 am

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:Bio Olympiad? What do you do in that? I'm kind of interested if only California offered it.
They're talking about the qualifying test for the US team for the International Biology Olympiad - most people don't make it that far but USABO is valuable at whatever level you make it to. It's an individual competition, not team-based, but try to find out who at your school runs registration and proctors the exam, and look up older exams if you're interested!

(I have never taken USABO, only F=ma for the physics competition and the AMC and AIME for math, so somebody clarify if I said something wrong)
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

Raven

Post by Raven » October 7th, 2017, 7:14 pm

I'm starting Biolympiad this year, and I specialize in bio events for Scioly. Maybe I'll make it to semis, maybe not, depends on how much I'll study (haven't even cracked open Campbell's yet....)
Birds, Fossils, WQ, Chem Lab

platypusomelette
State: NY

Post by platypusomelette » October 8th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Raven wrote:I'm starting Biolympiad this year, and I specialize in bio events for Scioly. Maybe I'll make it to semis, maybe not, depends on how much I'll study (haven't even cracked open Campbell's yet....)
Getting into semis actually isn't that bad, I got in like that blind footballer kid meme and had no idea what anything on the test meant but I still slipped by. I definitely believe campbell will help a million since I passed the test mainly only with honors bio information. Good luck!
island trash trees hs
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/
HELL YEA WE MADE STATES

Raven

Post by Raven » October 8th, 2017, 5:34 pm

platypusomelette wrote:
Raven wrote:I'm starting Biolympiad this year, and I specialize in bio events for Scioly. Maybe I'll make it to semis, maybe not, depends on how much I'll study (haven't even cracked open Campbell's yet....)
Getting into semis actually isn't that bad, I got in like that blind footballer kid meme and had no idea what anything on the test meant but I still slipped by. I definitely believe campbell will help a million since I passed the test mainly only with honors bio information. Good luck!
Thanks! Good luck to you too. I've taken Bio H over the summer, and I remember most (if not all) of the material covered there, hopefully I can retain it until open exams....and I should probably read over Campbell's/memorize every biology fact known to humanity before January....
Birds, Fossils, WQ, Chem Lab

whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by whythelongface » October 8th, 2017, 6:24 pm

Raven wrote:
platypusomelette wrote:
Thanks! Good luck to you too. I've taken Bio H over the summer, and I remember most (if not all) of the material covered there, hopefully I can retain it until open exams....and I should probably read over Campbell's/memorize every biology fact known to humanity before January....
It's possible to get very far with Biology Honors knowledge, if you are able to self-study things. After all, AP Biology isn't really too much different than the honors curriculum plus maybe more emphasis on certain areas such as DNA technology.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South for winning 14th place at Nationals!

knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple » October 9th, 2017, 6:32 pm

whythelongface wrote:
It's possible to get very far with Biology Honors knowledge, if you are able to self-study things. After all, AP Biology isn't really too much different than the honors curriculum plus maybe more emphasis on certain areas such as DNA technology.
Rumor has it some of the seniors from when we were froshbabies made it to semis without studying bio at all, just by guessing. However, I wouldn't recommend trying to emulate that because a) it's a rumor that's several years old and could be a freak result of chance or an exaggerated story or entirely false, b) those particular seniors knew a lot of science generally and might've studied the content already, unrelated to the competition, and c) even according to rumor, they crashed and burned in the next round of competition from using that non-studying strategy, and of course you want to do better than that.
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

tm-scioli

Post by tm-scioli » October 11th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Rumor has it some of the seniors from when we were froshbabies made it to semis without studying bio at all, just by guessing. However, I wouldn't recommend trying to emulate that because a) it's a rumor that's several years old and could be a freak result of chance or an exaggerated story or entirely false, b) those particular seniors knew a lot of science generally and might've studied the content already, unrelated to the competition, and c) even according to rumor, they crashed and burned in the next round of competition from using that non-studying strategy, and of course you want to do better than that.
lol, someone at my school did that too.

moumantai
State: WA

Post by moumantai » November 16th, 2017, 5:28 pm

My science club (I'm the president of it) does Science Bowl! We've ranked higher and higher every year, so maybe we'll move on from the first level this time around... I don't run the Bowl teams, though. The vice pres is the Bowl captain and I'm the Oly captain.

Also, I've never heard of Bio Olympiad?! Wish I wasn't a senior so I could do it next year...

whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by whythelongface » November 16th, 2017, 7:00 pm

moumantai wrote:My science club (I'm the president of it) does Science Bowl! We've ranked higher and higher every year, so maybe we'll move on from the first level this time around... I don't run the Bowl teams, though. The vice pres is the Bowl captain and I'm the Oly captain.

Also, I've never heard of Bio Olympiad?! Wish I wasn't a senior so I could do it next year...
Our school does Oly, Bowl, National Ocean Sciences Bowl, and this new Envirothon thing. Glad to see your improvement!
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South for winning 14th place at Nationals!

Return to “General Chat”