Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
MIScioly1
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Atoning for my Sins as a Test Hoarder

Post by MIScioly1 » March 6th, 2018, 5:20 pm

IcsTam wrote:Dude, come on. You're being rude for absolutely no reason, and it's not even funny.
Don't feed the troll. Though I think East is enjoying messing with him :)
Last edited by MIScioly1 on March 6th, 2018, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board

WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? » March 6th, 2018, 5:25 pm

Guys, it has been recently discovered that jonathanzhang is the account of ti/troyscioly, an infamous troll

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS » March 6th, 2018, 5:39 pm

Guys, show a little sympathy for Jonathan please. Put yourself in his shoes: close your eyes and imagine being so sad that you troll people online for fun. Don't you feel a little bad for him now?

I'm sorry they've been so mean to you, Jonathan. :cry: Your irony and intellect are truly second to none.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

Random Human

Post by Random Human » March 6th, 2018, 5:46 pm

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
Random Human wrote:Kinda bs in my opinion. All us test hoarders should unite as one and post it on our little private chat. Getting rid of sins to other test hoarders.
Yeah, this would be pretty scummy. Posting tests without deliberation is impulsive, but still with good intentions. I cannot say the same for your proposal.
would i get perm ban if i post every invite this year on here?
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » March 6th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Random Human wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
Random Human wrote:Kinda bs in my opinion. All us test hoarders should unite as one and post it on our little private chat. Getting rid of sins to other test hoarders.
Yeah, this would be pretty scummy. Posting tests without deliberation is impulsive, but still with good intentions. I cannot say the same for your proposal.
No, although that's a massive oversimplification of the situation and does not do anything to advance the discussion.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

dmis

Post by dmis » March 6th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Random Human wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
Along WhatScience?'s line of thinking, I'd prefer you didn't. I need some secure tests for placement tests. All the ones I had to give my team are now open and can no longer be used to fairly assess my team.
Last edited by dmis on March 6th, 2018, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random Human

Post by Random Human » March 6th, 2018, 5:52 pm

this year i put in laik as much hours into trading as studying, with good results for the team and a guarenteed spot :)

but what pigeon me off is when people post the stuff i traded for and the stuff our hard working team made to trade for these tests on this forum. then everyone just gets it and like wtf. sure we help community and increase learning, but remember that if tests are kept private, everyone has to work harder to contribute and get tests for themselves. aka they write tests and gain education

the terminal impact of all this is education and maybe a bit of fun

private vs public tests exchange, which ever can create more education shud be prefered

the simple argument is that people in the public wil just hop on get tests then leave. no contributions made to society.

just imagine this world. everyone wants resources. you have the entire community, every team, create 1 set. it isnt that difficult, set doesnt have to be good, they just create one set. then they all put that into a pool and gain access to the rest of the sets. think about how many tests we wud have.

public tests exchanges are like
its like giving welfare to rich people. they dont really need the money, they could get the money on their own, and it kills their incentive to gain more money.
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet

dmis

Post by dmis » March 6th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Random Human wrote: just imagine this world. everyone wants resources. you have the entire community, every team, create 1 set. it isnt that difficult, set doesnt have to be good, they just create one set. then they all put that into a pool and gain access to the rest of the sets. think about how many tests we wud have.
Out of curiosity, how many of the tests you trade student/team made and how many are invitational tests? You seem to suggest that most or at least many are student made, which affects the discussion about the intentions of invitationals.

Random Human

Post by Random Human » March 6th, 2018, 5:56 pm

good portion i say 1/3, ofc most student made ones i dont even have.
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » March 6th, 2018, 5:56 pm

I don't think you're correct in assuming people will stop contributing their own tests. If public tests are the dominant form, I expect many people will make their own tests for tryouts, and can then share the tests they made with each other. Perhaps, some will post their own tests publicly, but if there are so many tests from tournaments publicly available, it's okay if they don't.

Point is, I'm not really following where a world where all invitational tests are public is a bad thing, in any way? Except for selfish reasons, perhaps. But if public tests motivate you to make and trade student-created tests, isn't that an overall positive?
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “General Chat”