Division: C
State: PA

Re: [COMPLAINT] The New Watermark

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

JoeyC wrote:(Comes back to forums)
Me: Well, time to see what material I should put on my Solar notes
(Watermark pops up)
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
If they're going to do something like this, they should at least have an option to turn it off
That is how watermarks work
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SOnerd »

Just saying:
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
(Watermark pops up)
If they're going to do something like this, they should at least have an option to turn it off
By the way, there are ways to turn it off. I'll leave you to discover that for yourself :P
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
hippo9
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

Yeah SOnerd's probably right. They wouldn't do something like this randomly, and it just happens to be April fools day
EDIT: Yeah definitely considering the autocorrect to Easter
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by raxu »

Not only is the watermark annoying, it's also not in compliance with Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974, nor does it protect the site.

"A third recent example of acts, policies, or practices of foreign governments which qualify for § 301 enforcement is found in the determination made by the President in August 1986.14 The President concluded that Taiwan's failure to implement by January 1, 1986, obligations substantially equivalent to those applied to developing countries under the GATT Customs Valuation Code25 was inconsistent with a 1979 bilateral agreement.2 6 The examples given above do not explain the full scope of § 301 powers. Another basis for action under § 301 is the denial of benefits to the United States under a trade agreement. 27 In this instance, a foreign government or instrumentality need not violate a trade agreement, but only deny benefits to the United States under the agreement by nullifying or impairing concessions. For example, in 1976 the Florida Citrus Commission and others filed a petition alleging that the EC's preferential tariffs on orange and grapefruit juices and fresh citrus fruits from certain Mediterranean countries have an adverse effect on United States citrus exports to the EC.2 ' The United States finally obtained a favorable panel report in the EC Citrus case in late 1984; Since the copyright is under scioly.org, a website not a company, the symbol does not protect the site.

Furthermore, in order to be effective and workable in a multimedia environment, the copyright label must be difficult tremove and survive processing which does not seriously reduce the value of the image. This encompasses a wide range of possibilities including format conversions, data compression, and low pass filtering. In addition to copyright labeling of broadcast images, application areas for steganographic labeling techniques include copyright and/or secure records labeling of electronic publishing, facsimiles, scientific imaging, and medical imaging. In: Proc. of 1995 IEEE Workshop on Nonlinear Signal and Image Processing (Neos Marmaras, Greece, June 20-22, 1995) 2 Requiring the copyright label to be a reliable property identification tool imposes following basic functional requirements on the system: (1) The image must contain a label or code, which marks it as property of the copyright holder. (2) The image data must contain a user code, which verifies the user is in legal possession of the data. (3) The image data is labeled in a manner which allows its distribution to be tracked. It is assumed, the main purpose of any attack would be to make the embedded label unverifiable. There are essentially two general ways to make the embedded label unverifiable: (1) alter the image data to render the copyright label unreadable, and (2) show that the label is not a reliable identification tool. In addition several properties of digital data and design constraints, which are related to preventing attack on the copyright label, should be considered carefully. First, forgery of a digital copyright can only be prevented, if a forger cannot produce a valid copyright code. Second, the basic nature of digital images ensures that the copyright label can be easily altered if an attacker can identify the label data. Third, most digital images found in a multimedia environment can be low pass filtered, transformed to a different format or color space, or carefully re-quantized and compressed without significantly altering the images appearance or affecting its value. Finally, the image data is the only random sequence available to mask the data, and the statistics of the images, although generally unknown, are not under the control of the copyright system. In sum, each of these points represents a potential means of attacking the copyright label and the following functional specifications are designed to prevent these attacks: (1) A secret key type encryption code must be created using the unique identification of a work and used as the copyright label to prevent forgery of labeling. (2) The image data must camouflage the copyright label code both visually and statistically to prevent an attacker from finding and deleting it. The functional requirement stating that the copyright label appears to be part of a normal image sequence and visually transparent is designed to prevent this attack. (3) The signals used to embed the copyright label must contain a noise margin to resist damage if the image is processed or compressed. (4) The system must be designed in such a way that the copyright labels locations and the same copyright code are not used repeatedly for embedding codes in different images to prevent the label from be found by comparing different images signed by the same owner. The noise margin created by modeling the lossy compression allows for some loss of energy in the pulse, before the pulse becomes unreadable. Therefore if the pulse energy is concentrated at low frequencies, the embedded code should be relatively robust. Unfortunately, the final consideration with regard to pulse design and visual camouflaging, is in direct conflict with using low frequency pulse shapes. Specifically, it is widely accepted that noise in the low frequencies components of images is more noticeable than noise in the high frequency components. This is the basic concept behind the very efficient transform and sub-band coding techniques [8-10]. A reasonable trade-off between protection against processing attacks and visibility of the embedded code, is to make the pulses bandpass processes. Some additional design criteria must be developed to allow both requirements to be met simultaneously. Since you can launch a hacking attack on the website, remove the watermark by deleting the last section of the html code, the watermark is vulnerable to attack."

Bibliography
Judith Hippler Bello, Alan F. Holmer, Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974: Requirements, Procedures, and Developments, 7 Nw. J. Int'l L. & Bus. 633 (1985-1986)

Koch, E. and J. Zhao, Towards Robust and Hidden Image Copyright Labeling, Proc. of 1995 IEEE Workshop on Nonlinear Signal and Image Processing, 1995. Web.

Wow it took long to find so much to pigeon about. Wait I better cite my sources to not get attacked by copyright laws.
Richard
Events done Div. B: Simple Machines <3, Shock Value.
Events done Div. C: Astronomy <3 , It's About Time, Forensics, Optics, Remote Sensing, Game On, Materials Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics.
NeBH
State: ID

Post by NeBH »

Unome wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
(Watermark pops up)
By the way, there are ways to turn it off. I'll leave you to discover that for yourself :P
Ways? So, there are more than one?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

NeBH wrote:
Unome wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: That is how watermarks work
I assume so, though I can only think of one right now.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Unome wrote:
NeBH wrote:
Unome wrote: By the way, there are ways to turn it off. I'll leave you to discover that for yourself :P
I assume so, though I can only think of one right now.
Hints are welcome ;)
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
kendreaditya

Post by kendreaditya »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:All this content is making the watermark very hard to look at. Could we possibly delete it so as to make the watermark more visible?
I am not trying to encourage redistribution, but if its hard to read then you can right click on the side and click inspect element or just inspect. Then do control F and then type in the box "watermark" (including the quotes), and then delete the highlighted line. This will only clear it from the webpage until you refresh the screen or go to another link.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

kendreaditya wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:All this content is making the watermark very hard to look at. Could we possibly delete it so as to make the watermark more visible?
I am not trying to encourage redistribution, but if its hard to read then you can right click on the side and click inspect element or just inspect. Then do control F and then type in the box "watermark" (including the quotes), and then delete the highlighted line. This will only clear it from the webpage until you refresh the screen or go to another link.
I think you missed the joke (maybe reread that?)

P.S. I'm also not sure why redistributing info from a public forum would be disallowed.

Return to “General Chat”