9th Graders

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
DrDaveV
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

9th Graders

Post by DrDaveV »

Our school has grades 7-12. Last year we only had a C Division team. We are considering have ing both C and B this year. As I read the rules a 9th grader can be on either team.

I also understand that if a we have two C teams entered in a tournament students can only compete on one of the teams, that is, our best team member can't be on both C division teams.

My questions regards 9th graders. If we enter a invitational with both divisions, can a 9th grader compete on 1 C team and 1 B team??
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: 9th Graders

Post by TheChiScientist »

DrDaveV wrote:Our school has grades 7-12. Last year we only had a C Division team. We are considering have ing both C and B this year. As I read the rules a 9th grader can be on either team.

I also understand that if a we have two C teams entered in a tournament students can only compete on one of the teams, that is, our best team member can't be on both C division teams.

My questions regards 9th graders. If we enter a invitational with both divisions, can a 9th grader compete on 1 C team and 1 B team??
I believe this is dependent on the way your school district operates. If your middle school goes up to 9th then it would be Div B. But if the middle school goes up to 8th then Div C. would apply to the 9th graders.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Name
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Name »

South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
DrDaveV

Post by DrDaveV »

TheChiScientist wrote: I believe this is dependent on the way your school district operates. If your middle school goes up to 9th then it would be Div B. But if the middle school goes up to 8th then Div C. would apply to the 9th graders.
We are a single private school with Grades 7-12 all in one school. No separate middle school or junior high school designations.
TheChiScientist

DrDaveV wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote: I believe this is dependent on the way your school district operates. If your middle school goes up to 9th then it would be Div B. But if the middle school goes up to 8th then Div C. would apply to the 9th graders.
We are a single private school with Grades 7-12 all in one school. No separate middle school or junior high school designations.
What do nearby public schools operate on? Divisions will normally follow those formats.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

DrDaveV wrote:Our school has grades 7-12. Last year we only had a C Division team. We are considering have ing both C and B this year. As I read the rules a 9th grader can be on either team.

Nope, although freshmen can compete in both divisions, they may only compete with one team.
TheChiScientist

dxu46 wrote:

Nope, although freshmen can compete in both divisions, they may only compete with one team.
Yes. Depending on how strict your state is on the 9th grader policy it depends.
DrDaveV

Post by DrDaveV »

Thanks all.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

The rule is ambiguous in many cases. Local interpretation is the best guide. I would recommend contacting your state director.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
TheCowboyandhisArk
State: MI

Post by TheCowboyandhisArk »

my school district is weird
Elementary is K-4
we have an "Intermediate school" that is grades 5 and 6
then we have our middle school that is Grades 7 and 8
highschool is 9-12 (or 13 for the crazy early college kids)
The Intermediate School team (White Pines) takes kids from grades 6 and 7
the Middle school team (Lakeshore) takes grades 8 and 9
The high school takes 10-12
our exceptions are, if you are a 7th grader and did or go to white pines, you are a part of the lakeshore team
Now I'm not sure but I think that's also true for a 9th grader who didn't go to Lakeshore. ( but there isn't much of an issue there because most 9th graders are kids who have been doing it since 6th grade so yeah)

So what I'm saying is, it's like what a lot of people are saying
It depends on what your school district does.
in my case its full of Weird Crap because of our set up in regards to grades 5-8.
Science Olympian From Grand Haven Since 2015
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c1g ... MojTg/edit
2020 Events (R/S/N)
Astronomy:
Dynamic
Fossils
Geologic
Ping Pong Para
Sounds of music
Wright stuff

Return to “General Chat”