chia
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AP scores

Post by chia »

RandomPerson wrote:
chia wrote:(Last year's World History: 5)
Statistics: 5
Spanish: 5
Government: ...3 (well, I already knew I was never going to go into political science :| )
You got a 5 on a language AP, quite impressive enough to make up for a horrible 3.
Is that sarcasm I spy there? :roll:
My main problem with it is that if I got a 3 on this one, which is supposedly easier, how on earth do I stand a chance against APUSH, in which kjhsscioly got a 3? I'll try to stop psyching myself out, though.

Next year's tests: Bio, Comp Sci, Lang, BC Calc, US History.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

oh bah... I am not that great at history either, so relax. Actually quite ironic considering my assassination game was history themed.

Next year: Macro, Micro, Stats, Calc BC, Chem, Lang, the faintest possibility of compsci.
RandomPerson
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: IN

Post by RandomPerson »

chia wrote:
RandomPerson wrote:
chia wrote:(Last year's World History: 5)
Statistics: 5
Spanish: 5
Government: ...3 (well, I already knew I was never going to go into political science :| )
You got a 5 on a language AP, quite impressive enough to make up for a horrible 3.
My main problem with it is that if I got a 3 on this one, which is supposedly easier, how on earth do I stand a chance against APUSH, in which kjhsscioly got a 3? I'll try to stop psyching myself out, though.

The multiple choice for APUSH is very very basic. The essays are a crapshoot, but if you write essays during the school year enough they become second nature. We got lucky with essays this past year, but if you can do well on at least one of the essays, decent or okay on the others, and decent on the m/c you have a 5.
The politics in APUSH and government isn't the same as I would guess US government is. Its looked back on in a specific, carefully unbiased (or tries to be) way.
If you have any doubts buy this book: http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Hits-US-Hi ... 163&sr=8-1 (perhaps wait a while for a new version, or for amazon to restock) it is absolutely amazing, got me a 5 :).
A new era has begun
Swag
Division: C
State: ME

Post by Swag »

Honestly the APUSH exam was beyond easy. I might have gotten 5 MC's wrong at most. And I can guarantee a lot of you get better grades than me and are probably going to much better colleges. All you have to do is study the key stuff and ignore almost all military history except obvious key battles (Gettysburg, Saratoga)
- Know your figures in black history (King, WEB Dubois, etc.)
- Know key court cases (Marbury v. Madison, Brown v. Board of education of Topeka)
- Know important changes in the federal government (Articles of Confederation, the New Deal)
- Know Civil War/Slavery related stuff (Popular Sovereignty, Wilmot Proviso, etc.)

It's pretty simple to tell you the truth. And World is even easier, I remember walking away from that exam convinced that I didn't get a single MC wrong.

Haha and trust me, I bet most of you are just as smart, if not smarter than me. And no, I didn't spend hours studying. Studying is a waste of time.
Last edited by robotman on August 6th, 2011, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rawr. not very appropriate.
"I will either find a way, or make one." - Hannibal Barca
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

RandomPerson wrote:
chia wrote:
RandomPerson wrote: You got a 5 on a language AP, quite impressive enough to make up for a horrible 3.

The multiple choice for APUSH is very very basic. The essays are a crapshoot, but if you write essays during the school year enough they become second nature. We got lucky with essays this past year, but if you can do well on at least one of the essays, decent or okay on the others, and decent on the m/c you have a 5.
The politics in APUSH and government isn't the same as I would guess US government is. Its looked back on in a specific, carefully unbiased (or tries to be) way.
If you have any doubts buy this book: http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Hits-US-Hi ... 163&sr=8-1 (perhaps wait a while for a new version, or for amazon to restock) it is absolutely amazing, got me a 5 :).
I screwed up my APUSH exam because of one of my essays. I chose the topic "Explain the political party shift in America from 1928 to 1948", so my paper was about how in times of crisis and war, people preferred a Democrat in office (FDR), and when the immediate crisis was over, we then switched to a Republican (Eisenhower). Then I checked my dates after the exam...Eisenhower was elected in 1952, meaning that half of my essay was outside the given time range and therefore was completely wrong. I ended up with a 3 (I'm not that good at history anyway, but I feel like I would've gotten a 4 if I didn't screw up that essay so badly).
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

Swag wrote:Haha and trust me, I bet most of you are just as smart, if not smarter than me. And no, I didn't spend hours studying. Studying is a waste of time.
I concur in that I didn't study a whole lot; the key is crash course . On some tests, I find that crash course doesn't do a whole lot, but I promise, if you read the book and you know everything in it, you'll find that a lot of the MC questions are almost verbatim from the book. Know and absorb that book and you will be set on the MC, and with a 70+ MC score, you only need like 3s or 4s on the essays.
Last edited by robotman on August 6th, 2011, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 1984
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

AP results are coming in as of right now.
Any thoughts?
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
chia

Post by chia »

There's no room for thoughts, only hyperventilation. :shock:
jk, I'll just have to wait and see how it goes. Cross my fingers for my best-case scenario, try not to be too disappointed if it ends up worst-case.
Also, I will laugh if I actually managed a 4 or 5 on APUSH.
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Waaaaait, AP scores are already being sent out? They drilled "third week of July" into our heads, so I thought they were sending out scores then...

I'm pretty sure I did fine on both USH and Stat (well, I'm pretty sure I passed at least >.>), though most of doing well on USH was pure dumb luck with the essays. The one thing that we spent ages on in class ends up being the DBQ...and we managed to get to just enough of the 20th century to cover FRQ choice #4...
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
chia

Post by chia »

Well, technically your teachers should get them back beginning July 1, though I also thought we weren't going to receive our scores until another week or two. -shrug- Again, I'll stick with waiting and seeing. (Though I will be annoyed if they come in when I'm out of town...)
I'm pretty confident in bio and compsci, crossing my fingers for lang and BC calc, and am not expecting anything out of US history :roll: though I probably at least passed it.
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>

Return to “General Chat”