Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
coopsadoodles
Division: C
State: CT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Extracurricular Thread

Post by coopsadoodles »

i do dance five days a week and chamber orchestra in addition to scio and honestly, its a lot to manage. i have to sacrifice my social life and free time to keep everything going along with getting good grades.
bedford ms '20, staples hs '24
chem lab, green gen, enviro chem, widi
BrownieInMotion
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BrownieInMotion »

I'm a senior in high school now, but I swim competitively and we practice six days a week. I also play quizbowl and Science Bowl, and I'm on our student council. I spend some time on biology olympiad, chem olympiad, and programming competitions throughout the year, and I did biology research for the past two summers. I've been doing most of these things for several years, and I balance it by being mediocre at all of them. :^)

In general, I would say just try to develop a love for all the activities you do. When you really love doing something you make the time for it without needing to force yourself to. Conversely, if there are activities you do that you've given a chance but just don't enjoy as much, I would honestly consider dropping them. As an example, during my freshman year, I was on speech and debate but ended up quitting after six months, not because I hated it, but because I liked scioly so much more and I didn't want to divert time away from something I cared a lot more about. I quit doing competition math and physics olympiad in sophomore year for similar reasons (also I sucked at them, but that is unrelated ;P).

Oh, by the way, you should definitely try to work out some kind of arrangement so that you aren't missing every scioly practice for other stuff haha. If that's not possible, let your partners and coach know what's going in your life and your schedule. In my experience, people are generally pretty understanding, as long as you communicate with them regularly and keep them posted. I know things are stressful, and I wish I knew how to make it go away, but I think if you really care, sometimes you just gotta stick it out. Best of luck~<3
Langley '19
Cornell '23
BrownieInMotion's Userpage
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by CPScienceDude »

I do Academic Superbowl, SO (obviously) I play the cello, and I play soccer. I'm also doing a county math competition soon.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Well, I participated in Science Olympiad, Our Robotics Team, Cross Country, Student Council Secretary, Boy Scouts, Math Competitions, etc. To be honest Cross and Country, Science Olympiad, and Robotics are the most time consuming but are in the end the most paying off. Science Olympiad probably helps you the most at the end of a science career, if you pursue it.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
TheCrazyChemist

Post by TheCrazyChemist »

I like to do buzzer competitions, so I do a lot of them. I do Science Bowl, History Bee (JV and Middle School), Academic Bee, Science Bee,
and Geography Olympiad. I also play the violin. And I do Science Olympiad too.
SHASO2018
State: MI

Post by SHASO2018 »

TheCrazyChemist wrote:I like to do buzzer competitions, so I do a lot of them. I do Science Bowl, History Bee (JV and Middle School), Academic Bee, Science Bee,
GEOGRAPHY OLYMPIAD SOUNDS AWESOME I WOULD LOVE THAT SO MUCH
R.I.P Region 15
Idk-2018

I'm getting too old for this
TheCrazyChemist

Post by TheCrazyChemist »

SHASO2018 wrote:
TheCrazyChemist wrote:I like to do buzzer competitions, so I do a lot of them. I do Science Bowl, History Bee (JV and Middle School), Academic Bee, Science Bee,
GEOGRAPHY OLYMPIAD SOUNDS AWESOME I WOULD LOVE THAT SO MUCH
It's okay. There's only an exam at states and regionals, but at nationals there are buzzer rounds. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at geography, and in the buzzer rounds, there are people who are so good that they max out almost immediately. So I never make it very far at nationals for geography.
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

hmmmm i've severely cut down on all my activities, so the only things I do are orchestra (including honors orch), FBLA, science fair, did some scholastic scrimmage in the beginning of the year, math league (for the memesssss), spanish club (sorta), red cross club (ehhh not so much anymore).
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
primitivepolonium
State: CA

Post by primitivepolonium »

My main ECs were Chemistry Olympiad and Science Olympiad (swapped out for Science Bowl in senior year). I also did art, but that was a fairly small commitment. In freshman year I was very gungho NJROTC but I didn't get any leadership positions and generally didn't vibe with some of the people so I quit after sophomore year. I tried doing robotics among other things, but nothing else really interested me very much at all.

You can definitely balance Science Olympiad with other things, especially if your school culture doesn't have a lot of clubs which forbid dual participation in SciOly (eg: at my school, you generally can't do robotics and SciOly). A lot of SciOly people did FBLA and went to Nats for that. A good chunk of us went hardcore in other Olympiads as well. Yet others did newspaper and yearbook, though they were basically told to quit SciOly if they wanted to be chief for either of those ECs.

It gets even easier if your events have overlap with other things. For instance, I did Chem Lab, and I never studied directly for it because everything was covered in ChemOly prep. I can also see overlap with BiOly and bio events, or DP Oceanography and Ocean Bowl.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.
NeBH
State: ID

Post by NeBH »

Sleep? Anyone?

Return to “General Chat”