Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
jsegal
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Save the Turtles

Post by jsegal » September 6th, 2019, 7:27 am

Hi everyone!
This will only take a second of your time but it's for a great cause and I hope you don't mind.

I'm sure all of you care very much about the environment and the organisms that live in it. I'm trying to get my school to stop the use of plastic straws as they can severely injure wildlife as I'm sure you've heard. I know that the mission to get rid of plastic straws is merely a meme for some people, but I want to make a difference in this world and this is what I'd like to start with.

If you could please sign my petition to help me make my district administration that we do NOT need plastic straws when there is a safer, eco-friendly, biodegradable alternative, paper straws (or, no straws at all).

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and I hope you'll consider signing my petition. If you wanted to share it, that would be super amazing too ;)

http://chng.it/7vdG6TRvCs

Have a great day!

klastyioer
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Save the Turtles

Post by klastyioer » October 5th, 2019, 7:23 am

sksks
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!

CookiePie1
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 » October 6th, 2019, 12:23 pm

I CANT FIND MY HYDROFLASK SKSKSKSKSKSKSKS
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

LittleMissNyan
Division: B
State: MD
Location: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/376067947/fullscreen/

Post by LittleMissNyan » October 6th, 2019, 2:43 pm

klastyioer wrote:sksks
CookiePie1 wrote:I CANT FIND MY HYDROFLASK SKSKSKSKSKSKSKS
:roll: :x
Mission Possible ?/1/17/-
Game On 5/2/7/-
Heredity 6/6/13/-
Road Scholar 7/-/-/-
Write It Do It ?/-/-/-

National Cathedral School/Oakdale/Regionals/T.T

JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC » October 6th, 2019, 6:56 pm

If we're gonna save anything, shouldn't we start with things that'll have a greater impact on the environment, sustainability, and human future on Earth as a whole?
Turtles are important parts of the ecosystem, given, but perhaps focusing on things as say the Amazon Rainforest (and general habitat loss), Global Warming, or countering pollution? (and not just stuff that hurts turtles, but a much broader range)
Ohayo!
Dynamic Planet, Protein Modeling, Fast Facts, Thermodynamics
Dynamic Planet, Machines, Ornith
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Scientia Potentia Est
Has Gotten Coronavirus: No

linzhiyan
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by linzhiyan » October 6th, 2019, 8:35 pm

And people do realize that even if we all just stop using plastic straws, we're not going to make that big of a difference, right? The main problem are the factories. If you can get ONE factory that produces plastic to shut down, that'll make more of an impact to our environment than if you get everyone to stop using plastic. Because even if we don't use it, the factories are still going to produce it, and if no one uses it, all of it is going to be thrown out, so what's the point? I mean, I guess if you get your community to stop doing something, then you may be able to send a message to others, but will it really make an impact on our environment? No.
Also, everyone is like, "Protect the environment, save the turtles, blah blah blah," but if you look outside your window into your street, all you see is trash and litter covering the roads. So, instead of trying to persuade everyone to stop using plastic straws, why not start with picking up trash in your community and keeping your community clean?

EDIT: Also, sorry if this came off as passive aggressive, it's just that people at my school are always saying, "Save the turtles" and then turning around and throwing trash EVERYWHERE.
Unpunctual (and failed) Sassy of game #130...
Clayton High School Dank Memes Area Homeschool

gz839918
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by gz839918 » October 7th, 2019, 8:04 am

linzhiyan wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 8:35 pm
And people do realize that even if we all just stop using plastic straws, we're not going to make that big of a difference, right? The main problem are the factories. If you can get ONE factory that produces plastic to shut down, that'll make more of an impact to our environment than if you get everyone to stop using plastic. Because even if we don't use it, the factories are still going to produce it, and if no one uses it, all of it is going to be thrown out, so what's the point? I mean, I guess if you get your community to stop doing something, then you may be able to send a message to others, but will it really make an impact on our environment? No.
Also, everyone is like, "Protect the environment, save the turtles, blah blah blah," but if you look outside your window into your street, all you see is trash and litter covering the roads. So, instead of trying to persuade everyone to stop using plastic straws, why not start with picking up trash in your community and keeping your community clean?

EDIT: Also, sorry if this came off as passive aggressive, it's just that people at my school are always saying, "Save the turtles" and then turning around and throwing trash EVERYWHERE.
Actually, I agree. I especially dislike the reasoning that "as long as I'm exercising my free speech by educating others to save turtles [or insert here any other global issue], I've helped out humanity today." Too often, talking about climate issues is treated as an indulgence—a get-out-free pass from the environmental purgatory that awaits us in the coming decades. This happened at my first high school as well, and if you feel upset, there are others here who understand you.

I will say, though, that we still should try to convince others to use less plastic and save turtles. If little strokes fell great oaks, little strokes can help regrow them. People collectively have the force of mind to pressure corporations to reduce impact by buying fewer straws, if we could get people to overcome the inertia of acting and not just speaking. Even if straws are a small percentage of overall plastic, we would be much better off if every plastic straw were eliminated. As long as they don't get replaced with paper straws or anything...
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests
Physics and biology events

UNC-Chapel Hill ’23

Things2do
State: TN

Post by Things2do » October 29th, 2019, 6:55 pm

sophiajames498 wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 4:33 am
{Deleted.}
That's only a little bit of a invasion of privacy...
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Builder Cult
 Backyard Botany, Can Racer, Name That Scientist,
CTW, Meteo., WV, Scrambler, Road S., Dy. Plan., Fast Facts, Rocks/Mine., Optics, MTV, Remote Sensing, ExpeD., Geo. Map., Fossils, Circuits., Thermo., Boomi., WS, Machines, GV
More here.Image

hmma
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by hmma » February 7th, 2020, 8:08 am

gz839918 wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 8:04 am
linzhiyan wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Actually, I agree. I especially dislike the reasoning that "as long as I'm exercising my free speech by educating others to save turtles [or insert here any other global issue], I've helped out humanity today." Too often, talking about climate issues is treated as an indulgence—a get-out-free pass from the environmental purgatory that awaits us in the coming decades. This happened at my first high school as well, and if you feel upset, there are others here who understand you.

I will say, though, that we still should try to convince others to use less plastic and save turtles. If little strokes fell great oaks, little strokes can help regrow them. People collectively have the force of mind to pressure corporations to reduce impact by buying fewer straws, if we could get people to overcome the inertia of acting and not just speaking. Even if straws are a small percentage of overall plastic, we would be much better off if every plastic straw were eliminated. As long as they don't get replaced with paper straws or anything...
I love plastic straws because they are so convenient. I always carry a couple around with me and if I ever lose them or it gets dirty I just throw it away because I have a ton more!
These users thanked the author hmma for the post (total 2):
Vortexx2 (March 11th, 2020, 8:49 am) • Cornstalk (March 14th, 2020, 5:55 pm)

Return to “General Chat”