Politics

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Blank25
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Politics

Postby Blank25 » October 9th, 2019, 2:59 pm

I feel like the main issue here is that people are over exaggerating it. You have people acting like that it's suddenly the end of the world. It's horrible that it's burning, but keep in mind that it's been like this for a while. It just started to get attention recently.
I agree, it's not the end of the world, it's been going on for a long time. It's just one of the first time that there has been major media coverage on the burning for a while.
2019 Events: Fermi, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible
2018 Events: Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Towers, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Parasitology
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Hovercraft, Towers, Astronomy

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » October 9th, 2019, 7:07 pm

I feel like the main issue here is that people are over exaggerating it. You have people acting like that it's suddenly the end of the world. It's horrible that it's burning, but keep in mind that it's been like this for a while. It just started to get attention recently.
I agree, it's not the end of the world, it's been going on for a long time. It's just one of the first time that there has been major media coverage on the burning for a while.
I can agree that the burning of the rainforest has been overexaggerated, but that DOES NOT mean climate change is not an urgent and important issue.

By the way, to whoever is reading this, chances are that you like steak. I LIKE STEAK, TOO. But if we can ALL cut down on our steak consumption, then the industry will produce less (with less demand from us consumers). PLEASE help us protect the environment by eating less beef. I'm not saying don't eat meat though - consider eating chicken more often. Chickens use only about 20% of the resources and land cows consume. Eating less beef and more chicken is cheaper for your family, and it means less methane (a potent GHG) being released into the atmosphere. Let's save this earth with one less steak at a time ;)
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff
Member of the Builder Cult and DMAH
Gallagher Middle School '19
Barrington High School '23
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Postby PM2017 » October 10th, 2019, 1:33 am

This. So much this.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

TheChiScientist
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » October 10th, 2019, 6:40 am

I can agree that the burning of the rainforest has been overexaggerated, but that DOES NOT mean climate change is not an urgent and important issue.

By the way, to whoever is reading this, chances are that you like steak. I LIKE STEAK, TOO. But if we can ALL cut down on our steak consumption, then the industry will produce less (with less demand from us consumers). PLEASE help us protect the environment by eating less beef. I'm not saying don't eat meat though - consider eating chicken more often. Chickens use only about 20% of the resources and land cows consume. Eating less beef and more chicken is cheaper for your family, and it means less methane (a potent GHG) being released into the atmosphere. Let's save this earth with one less steak at a time ;)
Ironic. He used the cow to destroy the cow. :lol:
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

TheChiScientist
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » October 10th, 2019, 7:16 am

Thought about putting this in the video game thread but I guess this is more political...
Blizzard vs Hong Kong
What is your thought on the issue of an American based company reflecting authoritarian values?
Right now both Twitter and Reddit are up in arms over this and the gaming community at large is not very pleased...
Oh, and Mei is now a symbol for the Hong Kong revolution...
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » October 10th, 2019, 9:48 am

Funny...
but what if this is a plan for people to stop eating my kind
:)
MadCow2357's Userpage
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

PM2017

Postby PM2017 » October 10th, 2019, 11:40 am

Thought about putting this in the video game thread but I guess this is more political...
Blizzard vs Hong Kong
What is your thought on the issue of an American based company reflecting authoritarian values?
Right now both Twitter and Reddit are up in arms over this and the gaming community at large is not very pleased...
I'm not as much of a gamer as I'd perhaps like to be, but I really dislike video games (and really anything that doesn't have to do with politics) becoming politicized.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

DatSciolyBoi

Postby DatSciolyBoi » October 10th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Blizzard vs Hong Kong
The guy who got banned was merely expressing his innate belief. It's his opinion, and they have no right to ban him for speaking what's on his mind. We do have the 1st amendment don't we?
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design, Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets

Things2do
State: TN
Location: Unfortunately, not Utah somewhere near the Colorado border

Postby Things2do » October 10th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Technically, he's a disease...
John 5:46-47
When your signature exceeds the allotted 300 characters, you put it here...
Is this where I put the Builder Cult?
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » October 10th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Technically, he's a disease...
No. The disease and I have no connection or correlation whatsoever.
MadCow2357's Userpage

Return to “General Chat”