Politics

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Re: Politics

Postby TheChiScientist » October 14th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Let's just refresh this thread, and start anew with a different topic:

What do you think about religion being tied to politics?

I have some thoughts on this concept, so I'll try to post them in the evening (when I'm not supposed to be paying attention to a MATLAB lecture...).
I don't care if you're religious or not. Religion should not be tied to politics in any way shape or form... The concept behind politics to represent the people of the nation. Not everyone in America holds your religious values or is religious for that matter. This is just showing abuse of the power religious institutions have to manipulate the general population. Similar to how gun owners join the NRA in hope of being responsible gun owners yet the NRA abuses its followers by using their funds and user base to benefit politicians.
One of the problems I have with this standpoint is how absolutist it is. In reality, I think everything in politics is more nuanced (I guess almost everything, by my own argument, lol)

Also, what does the NRA have to do with anything?
NRA is the best non-religious example that I can think of that relates to this issue because of how organizations of power/influence manipulate their user base to assist politicians... Even though I've got no religious affiliations I still think that religious agendas need to be kept out of politics. Look at the issues that it can cause...
Chick-Fil-A funding the Kill the gays bill in Uganda
A prime example of why we NEED to keep religious issues and political issues separate. Politics can cause major issues in our society when wrongly influenced. Realize that the people aren't being given a voice because of "big companies" (In this case religious institutions/affiliates) are speaking for them.
President’s spiritual adviser: "To say no to President Trump would be saying no to God."
I'm... I'm done here... Read this for yourself.
Also, whether your atheist or not I recommend you take a look around r/Atheism and learn more about the issues with politics and religion or just issues that relate to religion in general.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

JoeyC
Division: C
State: TX

Postby JoeyC » October 14th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Checked out the Reddit.... seems to mainly be either attacks on the RCC (which make sense because it's not so much as a religious organization as it is a former political entity - of course there'd be corruption), Bible passages/beliefs taken out of context, political candidates, and the belief that science and religion can't coexist.
(Which they can, there are apologetics and other such people who do so and are commonly overlooked by many; despite the fact that their arguments actually stand up in debate)
Ohayo!
Dynamic Planet, Protein Modeling, Fast Facts, Thermodynamics
Dynamic Planet, Compound Machines, Chem Lab, WaQua (maybe), Ornith (maybe)
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Scientia Potentia Est

TheChiScientist
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » October 14th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Checked out the Reddit.... seems to mainly be either attacks on the RCC (which make sense because it's not so much as a religious organization as it is a former political entity - of course there'd be corruption), Bible passages/beliefs taken out of context, political candidates, and the belief that science and religion can't coexist.
(Which they can, there are apologetics and other such people who do so and are commonly overlooked by many; despite the fact that their arguments actually stand up in debate)
I will say that r/Atheism is on the more radical side but it is mostly comprised of atheists (Duh...) so I guess there isn't really a middle ground. Again this goes back to why I hate politics in today's society. It's so Left or Right-wing that nobody pays attention to the middle ground or both sides of the story... I'm literally a centrist (On the political scale) for where I stand on many issues... To list a few... Immigration, 2nd Amendment rights, LGBTQ issues, Hate speech, Economic issues, human rights, military actions, etc, etc. (You can probably figure out where I stand on all those issues if you know me well enough but I'm willing to tell you if you're really curious...) I'm all over the spectrum but I'm willing to hear both sides of an argument. Unfortunately, this seems to be a rare quality nowadays many people aren't willing to listen. :? Take note of this the next time you try to shut down someone's argument just cuz it doesn't go with what u believe in.
Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
Important video on issues I discussed
I really recommend that you watch it.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

JoeyC
State: TX

Postby JoeyC » October 14th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Actually, as a fellow centrist I do agree with you in that many people don't try to listen to both sides of an argument (which is why so many of my politically active friends look at me as "centrist scum" for not choosing one side lol).I feel that the best solutions can only be found by considering all aspects, and that furthermore my personal views on things should not necessarily affect how I want others to live.
But most everyone either just tries to push their point and not listen.

However, I guess I could be held to the same flaw in that I firmly support my own arguments because I believe them to be most logical and considerate for all, though I do try to consider others viewpoints....

How do we feel about the line between using one's own judgement and listening to others to decide an argument - I definitely feel people should use their own judgement to reach a conclusion on an issue, but at the same time many overstep it by not considering other arguments.
Ohayo!
Dynamic Planet, Protein Modeling, Fast Facts, Thermodynamics
Dynamic Planet, Compound Machines, Chem Lab, WaQua (maybe), Ornith (maybe)
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Scientia Potentia Est

LittleMissNyan
Division: B
State: MD

Postby LittleMissNyan » October 16th, 2019, 5:06 am

I listened to a small portion of the Democratic Debate last night and I have to say there seems to be a lot of interrupting involved
Poyo! (^-^)

Mission Possible
Game On
Heredity
Road Scholar

National Cathedral School/Oakdale/Regionals/States

Image HEY LOOK I FOUND IT

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » October 16th, 2019, 6:12 am

I listened to a small portion of the Democratic Debate last night and I have to say there seems to be a lot of interrupting involved
Is this your first debate? :P
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

LittleMissNyan
Division: B
State: MD

Postby LittleMissNyan » October 16th, 2019, 6:45 am

Poyo! (^-^)

Mission Possible
Game On
Heredity
Road Scholar

National Cathedral School/Oakdale/Regionals/States

Image HEY LOOK I FOUND IT

PM2017
State: CA

Postby PM2017 » October 16th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Lol the first time I watched a political debate I was so amazed (not necessarily in a good connotation either) by how they got away with skirting around the question every time...
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Postby megrimlockawesom » October 18th, 2019, 8:32 am

Yang Gang

that is all
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute, Thermodynamics

I like Overwatch, Marvel, and food

DatSciolyBoi
State: CA

Postby DatSciolyBoi » October 18th, 2019, 8:40 am

Why do I get a notification for a "reply" every single time someone posts here?
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design, Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets

Return to “General Chat”