Politics

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
User avatar
MTV<=>Operator
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: February 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Dead
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Politics

Post by MTV<=>Operator » February 11th, 2020, 8:08 pm

JoeyC wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 7:36 pm
Right now the main thing is electability - who can beat Trump.
That rules out Pete and Warren, due to the high sentiments against them in America (it'll be kind of like Mitt Romney). Biden hasn't garnered too much support, and Bloomberg (right now) doesn't appear to have a large gathering yet.
Which leaves us with Sanders, though there is still room for other candidates to take the lead.
I do feel that Warren could take the lead, and to a lesser extent possibly Bloomberg and do well, but with the status quo, I'd say Sanders is the Democratic party's best bet, solely based on electability.
I would argue that Bloomberg is more electable than Sanders because he is closer to being bipartisan. Sanders too easily attracts the label "socialist" based on some of his ideas. You could be right though, Bloomberg has done a great job advertising, but he hasn't yet gotten on the debate stage and that's really a limiting factor in terms of support for him.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018: Mousetrap, Hovercraft, Towers
2018-2019: Mousetrap (8th regional), Boomilever (3rd regional), Wright Stuff
2020 Events/YUSO/regional
Gravity Vehicle/9/5
Detector Building/8/7
Wright Stuff/--/10
Ping Pong Parachute/--/--

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3113
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 47 times
Contact:

Re: Politics

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » February 11th, 2020, 8:43 pm

MTV<=>Operator wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 8:08 pm
JoeyC wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 7:36 pm
Right now the main thing is electability - who can beat Trump.
That rules out Pete and Warren, due to the high sentiments against them in America (it'll be kind of like Mitt Romney). Biden hasn't garnered too much support, and Bloomberg (right now) doesn't appear to have a large gathering yet.
Which leaves us with Sanders, though there is still room for other candidates to take the lead.
I do feel that Warren could take the lead, and to a lesser extent possibly Bloomberg and do well, but with the status quo, I'd say Sanders is the Democratic party's best bet, solely based on electability.
I would argue that Bloomberg is more electable than Sanders because he is closer to being bipartisan. Sanders too easily attracts the label "socialist" based on some of his ideas. You could be right though, Bloomberg has done a great job advertising, but he hasn't yet gotten on the debate stage and that's really a limiting factor in terms of support for him.
I disagree that being bipartisan is the key to winning this election. The key is going to be getting independents to vote for you. And despite attracting "socialist" labels, Bernie tends to do very well in the Midwestern states that were the key to Trump winning the presidency. I don't see many independents getting excited about voting for Bloomberg.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

User avatar
Things2do
Member
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: February 12th, 2018, 2:30 pm
Division: C
State: TN
Location: Unfortunately, not the Desert Southwest
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Politics

Post by Things2do » February 12th, 2020, 7:21 pm

John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Builder Cult
 Backyard Botany, Can Racer, Name That Scientist,
CTW, Meteo., WV, Scrambler, Road S., Dy. Plan., Fast Facts, Rocks/Mine., Optics, MTV, Remote Sensing, ExpeD., Geo. Map., Fossils, Circuits., Thermo., Boomi., WS, Machines, GV
More here.Image

User avatar
JoeyC
Member
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: November 7th, 2017, 1:43 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Politics

Post by JoeyC » February 13th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Things2do wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 7:21 pm
I found this interesting...
https://medium.com/@karlyn/ive-been-a-d ... 9ddaaf6d07
That man legit went from one echo chamber straight into another.
While he does have some interesting points, especially the media bias, he leaves out some glaring factors that would make quite a few of his arguments less than foolproof.
In the end, while it is an interesting insight into the Trump campaign, his conclusion is this: I went to a Trump rally (more or less a hype fest) and realized that they're more united than the Democratic rallies (in which multiple candidates fight, unlike a Trump rally) therefore, because that small amount of people are excited, the democrats are screwed.

Again, good insights, glaring flaws in logic process.
Ohayo!
Dynamic Planet, Protein Modeling, Fast Facts, Thermodynamics
Dynamic Planet, Machines, Ornith
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Scientia Potentia Est
Has Gotten Coronavirus: No

SciolyMaster
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: May 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm
Division: C
State: MO
Location: Observable Universe
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Politics

Post by SciolyMaster » February 18th, 2020, 2:38 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 8:34 am
The quality choice part or not ready for a woman president? Anti feminism is too strong in this country to allow Warren to win in an election against Trump. Many of the anti feminists are already on Trumps side so it would be a losing election for Warren. The time is not yet right to put a woman in the presidency due to this. If Warren was without a doubt more popular then it would more feasible. However many won't risk having this election lost to Trump. 2024 would most likely be a better opportunity for a woman president to take power. The Iowa caucuses reflect this as Pete an openly gay person had won Iowa. While Warren is lagging behind by quite a bit. Sad but it might be awhile before the nation as a whole is ready and willing to elect a woman president.
Hillary Clinton won the popular vote in 2016...
Ladue Science Olympiad
2020 Events: Sounds, GeoMapping, DyPlan, WaterQual, Ping Pong (?), Astro (?)
2019 Events: Sounds, GeoMapping, Thermo
"You're only good because you study!"

User avatar
TheChiScientist
Member
Member
Posts: 722
Joined: March 11th, 2018, 11:25 am
Division: Grad
State: IL
Location: Prepping for an economic collapse *cough*
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Politics

Post by TheChiScientist » February 18th, 2020, 3:28 pm

SciolyMaster wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 2:38 pm
TheChiScientist wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 8:34 am
The quality choice part or not ready for a woman president? Anti feminism is too strong in this country to allow Warren to win in an election against Trump. Many of the anti feminists are already on Trumps side so it would be a losing election for Warren. The time is not yet right to put a woman in the presidency due to this. If Warren was without a doubt more popular then it would more feasible. However many won't risk having this election lost to Trump. 2024 would most likely be a better opportunity for a woman president to take power. The Iowa caucuses reflect this as Pete an openly gay person had won Iowa. While Warren is lagging behind by quite a bit. Sad but it might be awhile before the nation as a whole is ready and willing to elect a woman president.
Hillary Clinton won the popular vote in 2016...
Yea but she lost the electoral college. Remember while the whole nations mentality may not be anti feminist, the mentality of key battleground states is in many cases.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 520
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Enjoying College! :D
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Politics

Post by PM2017 » February 18th, 2020, 8:54 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 3:28 pm
SciolyMaster wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 2:38 pm
TheChiScientist wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 8:34 am
The quality choice part or not ready for a woman president? Anti feminism is too strong in this country to allow Warren to win in an election against Trump. Many of the anti feminists are already on Trumps side so it would be a losing election for Warren. The time is not yet right to put a woman in the presidency due to this. If Warren was without a doubt more popular then it would more feasible. However many won't risk having this election lost to Trump. 2024 would most likely be a better opportunity for a woman president to take power. The Iowa caucuses reflect this as Pete an openly gay person had won Iowa. While Warren is lagging behind by quite a bit. Sad but it might be awhile before the nation as a whole is ready and willing to elect a woman president.
Hillary Clinton won the popular vote in 2016...
Yea but she lost the electoral college. Remember while the whole nations mentality may not be anti feminist, the mentality of key battleground states is in many cases.
She also ran a pretty bad campaign... I wouldn't ascribe her loss (at least not wholly) to anti-feminism.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

User avatar
TheChiScientist
Member
Member
Posts: 722
Joined: March 11th, 2018, 11:25 am
Division: Grad
State: IL
Location: Prepping for an economic collapse *cough*
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Politics

Post by TheChiScientist » February 19th, 2020, 9:34 am

PM2017 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 8:54 pm
TheChiScientist wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 3:28 pm
SciolyMaster wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 2:38 pm


Hillary Clinton won the popular vote in 2016...
Yea but she lost the electoral college. Remember while the whole nations mentality may not be anti feminist, the mentality of key battleground states is in many cases.
She also ran a pretty bad campaign... I wouldn't ascribe her loss (at least not wholly) to anti-feminism.
No but I would definitely say it's a factor.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 520
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Enjoying College! :D
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Politics

Post by PM2017 » February 19th, 2020, 12:23 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 9:34 am
PM2017 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 8:54 pm
TheChiScientist wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Yea but she lost the electoral college. Remember while the whole nations mentality may not be anti feminist, the mentality of key battleground states is in many cases.
She also ran a pretty bad campaign... I wouldn't ascribe her loss (at least not wholly) to anti-feminism.
No but I would definitely say it's a factor.
On the other hand, I'm fairly sure there were people who voted for Clinton simply because she was a woman. I won't try to estimate how these two factors offset and which comes out on top. The point is that identity politics goes both ways, which (in my opinion) is really rather unfortunate whichever way you look at it.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 520
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Enjoying College! :D
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Politics

Post by PM2017 » February 19th, 2020, 12:23 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 9:34 am
PM2017 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 8:54 pm
TheChiScientist wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Yea but she lost the electoral college. Remember while the whole nations mentality may not be anti feminist, the mentality of key battleground states is in many cases.
She also ran a pretty bad campaign... I wouldn't ascribe her loss (at least not wholly) to anti-feminism.
No but I would definitely say it's a factor.
On the other hand, I'm fairly sure there were people who voted for Clinton simply because she was a woman. I won't try to estimate how these two factors offset and which comes out on top. The point is that identity politics goes both ways, which (in my opinion) is really rather unfortunate whichever way you look at it.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Post Reply

Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests