EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Politics

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I think this is a fair position to have. It's not important to say what you would do, it's important to understand where the rioting is coming from. Treating them as people with worthwhile concerns is an important step.

I do want to address your comment about history books being "left-leaning". It's important to distinguish when a point of view is actually biased, or when an unbiased point of view merely appears biased in comparison to a different point of view. In America today, the "left" party is functionally a centrist, "don't rock the boat" establishment, and the "right" party is ultra-conservative and would be considered far-right in any other developed country. When compared to the American political system, then, a moderate, unbiased view of history appears "left" because it aligns with the party of the left, but in reality has minimal bias in that direction, if at all.
These users thanked the author EastStroudsburg13 for the post (total 2):
sneepity (June 2nd, 2020, 10:29 am) • nateDC (June 2nd, 2020, 10:37 am)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
nateDC
Division: C
State: MD

Post by nateDC »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 10:06 am I think this is a fair position to have. It's not important to say what you would do, it's important to understand where the rioting is coming from. Treating them as people with worthwhile concerns is an important step.

I do want to address your comment about history books being "left-leaning". It's important to distinguish when a point of view is actually biased, or when an unbiased point of view merely appears biased in comparison to a different point of view. In America today, the "left" party is functionally a centrist, "don't rock the boat" establishment, and the "right" party is ultra-conservative and would be considered far-right in any other developed country. When compared to the American political system, then, a moderate, unbiased view of history appears "left" because it aligns with the party of the left, but in reality has minimal bias in that direction, if at all.
I must disagree, the "right" party is the "status quo" party and the "left" party is the "let's have government go do things" party.
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

nateDC wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 10:37 am
EastStroudsburg13 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 10:06 am I think this is a fair position to have. It's not important to say what you would do, it's important to understand where the rioting is coming from. Treating them as people with worthwhile concerns is an important step.

I must disagree, the "right" party is the "status quo" party and the "left" party is the "let's have government go do things" party.
Well, when the "status quo" is institutionalized racism and "let's have the government go do things" is ensuring equal rights for all and reigning in out-of-control police forces, I know which side I lean towards.
These users thanked the author EastStroudsburg13 for the post (total 8):
CookiePie1 (June 2nd, 2020, 11:42 am) • Nydauron (June 2nd, 2020, 11:44 am) • sneepity (June 2nd, 2020, 11:46 am) • Umaroth (June 2nd, 2020, 11:57 am) • SilverBreeze (June 2nd, 2020, 12:13 pm) • Adi1008 (June 2nd, 2020, 12:26 pm) • LittleMissNyan (June 2nd, 2020, 12:38 pm) • pb5754 (June 2nd, 2020, 1:10 pm)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Umaroth »

These are the definitions of the left and the right, but we all know politicians don't actually follow rules or guidelines
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
nateDC

Post by nateDC »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 11:41 am

Well, when the "status quo" is institutionalized racism and "let's have the government go do things" is ensuring equal rights for all and reigning in out-of-control police forces, I know which side I lean towards.
I don't disagree, I just wanted to "correct" the definitions of "left" and "right".
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

Umaroth wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 12:06 pm

These are the definitions of the left and the right, but we all know politicians don't actually follow rules or guidelines
Ehhhh just enough to take advantage of the "my group versus your group" mentality that is more prevalent than we like to acknowledge.
These users thanked the author SilverBreeze for the post:
nateDC (June 2nd, 2020, 12:18 pm)
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

nateDC wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 12:13 pm
EastStroudsburg13 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 11:41 am

I don't disagree, I just wanted to "correct" the definitions of "left" and "right".
I mean, in theory those are the "correct" definitions, but I can't look at the current Democratic party and consider them the party of big government oversight and progress. They're mostly all talk and no action, and have been actively trying to minimize the impact of an actual progressive wing to the party. If we weren't beholden to the two-party system, the Democratic party would have already split in two pieces if not more.
These users thanked the author EastStroudsburg13 for the post (total 2):
nateDC (June 2nd, 2020, 12:27 pm) • gz839918 (June 3rd, 2020, 7:22 am)

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

nateDC

Post by nateDC »

Agree 100%. The "problem" with the Democratic Party is that they have to control the extreme progressives to keep together, so as not to lose their core voters.
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

nateDC wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 12:28 pm Agree 100%. The "problem" with the Democratic Party is that they have to control the extreme progressives to keep together, so as not to lose their core voters.
Which is quite unfortunate - the stigma against ideas that have been labeled as "too radical" is preventing us from making any significant political progress. It's so sad to me that the Democratic party is now thought of as one that is selfish and wants to promote the "common good" for their own benefit - and that this assumption that many people make has too much truth to it.
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

It's unfortunate that the race angle is often used to dismiss actual systemic change. Police not being racist won't change things - they're still effectively armed gangs enforcing the will of their handlers.
These users thanked the author Unome for the post (total 3):
EastStroudsburg13 (June 2nd, 2020, 2:04 pm) • sneepity (June 2nd, 2020, 2:41 pm) • jaspattack (June 2nd, 2020, 4:41 pm)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “General Chat”