Politics

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Politics

Post by Unome »

A lot of people are assuming suicide is inherently a problem.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
DatSciolyBoi
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by DatSciolyBoi »

Unome wrote:A lot of people are assuming suicide is inherently a problem.
I mean, it kinda is
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design, Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

Sorry what?
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Unome

Post by Unome »

DatSciolyBoi wrote:
I mean, it kinda is
CookiePie1 wrote:
Sorry what?
There has been a rationale put forward that guns make suicide easier, therefore this is a reason to restrict access to guns. This implies that the person making the argument is willing to forcibly prevent people from committing suicide. In my opinion, this is a problematic approach to suicide.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
TheCrazyChemist
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheCrazyChemist »

Unome wrote: There has been a rationale put forward that guns make suicide easier, therefore this is a reason to restrict access to guns. This implies that the person making the argument is willing to forcibly prevent people from committing suicide. In my opinion, this is a problematic approach to suicide.
And a better rationale to insure a majority of people who would commit suicide don't would be what?
Unome

Post by Unome »

TheCrazyChemist wrote:
Unome wrote: There has been a rationale put forward that guns make suicide easier, therefore this is a reason to restrict access to guns. This implies that the person making the argument is willing to forcibly prevent people from committing suicide. In my opinion, this is a problematic approach to suicide.
And a better rationale to insure a majority of people who would commit suicide don't would be what?
I'm not arguing for a better rationale, I'm arguing against forcibly preventing them from doing so.
Userpage

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Things2do wrote:On that logic, why ain't pencils illegal?
I mean, it's way easier to cause harm using a gun than using a pencil. Plus, the intended purpose of guns is to cause damage, while the intended purpose of pencils is to write. I would say it fits that logic.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
DatSciolyBoi
State: CA

Post by DatSciolyBoi »

TheCrazyChemist wrote:
Sometimes, people who want to commit suicide really badly would do like "public displays" , like building jumping. Think of the hundreds who witnessed it and how traumatized they would be.
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design, Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets
Unome

Post by Unome »

DatSciolyBoi wrote:
TheCrazyChemist wrote:
Sometimes, people who want to commit suicide really badly would do like "public displays" , like building jumping. Think of the hundreds who witnessed it and how traumatized they would be.
Those people assume that risk by venturing publically, much the same as one assumes the risk of potentially viewing objectionable content on television or in a movie.

I tried to find statistics on public suicides but was unsuccessful. I suspect public suicide is very uncommon - consider that most of the suicides we hear about are done privately.
Userpage

knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

It doesn't imply anything of the sort. Not selling someone a gun, or making it hard for people to buy guns, does not in any sense equate to forcibly preventing someone from suicide, any more than not selling chocolate in schools is the same as hospitalizing kids and placing them on a forced diet.

Here, by the way, are some conclusions from a study on the effect of the Brady Act cool-off period on suicide:

From https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... cle/192946

"Based on the assumption that the greatest reductions in fatal violence would be within states that were required to institute waiting periods and background checks, implementation of the Brady Act appears to have been associated with reductions in the firearm suicide rate for persons aged 55 years or older but not with reductions in homicide rates or overall suicide rates."

"We find some signs of an offsetting increase in nongun suicides to those aged 55 years or older, which makes the reduction in the total suicide rate smaller than the reduction in gun suicides. Neither the increase in nongun suicides nor the decrease in suicides from all causes are statistically significant at the conventional 95% level, though the overall pattern of findings is consistent with theories of "weapon substitution."

Return to “General Chat”