Politics

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Politics

Post by TheChiScientist »

People when they follow proper quarantine guidelines.
https://youtu.be/gKOfRI0AJ3A?t=160
Cuz quarantine is apparently Communism eh?
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Division: C
State: OH

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Things2do wrote: March 12th, 2020, 10:34 pm For those that have been chiding the US response and talking about how well China, Italy, South Korea, and wherever else have been handling the spread, what do you think of the far right column, "Total Cases/1M Population"? Even accounting for the approximate amount of time, since I have yet to find a graph of the various case rates by time of first case and country and these are therefore assumptions from here on, that the virus has been in various places, the case rate seems to be lower in the US.
Oh how the turns have tabled. I guess nobody would have guessed this happening though. :?:
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
Things2do
State: TN

Post by Things2do »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 8:17 pm
Things2do wrote: March 12th, 2020, 10:34 pm For those that have been chiding the US response and talking about how well China, Italy, South Korea, and wherever else have been handling the spread, what do you think of the far right column, "Total Cases/1M Population"? Even accounting for the approximate amount of time, since I have yet to find a graph of the various case rates by time of first case and country and these are therefore assumptions from here on, that the virus has been in various places, the case rate seems to be lower in the US.
Oh how the turns have tabled. I guess nobody would have guessed this happening though. :?:
The US is still doing better in cases per million population than Spain, Belgium, Ireland, Qatar, Switzerland, and Italy. There are more up there, but I threw out the countries with less than 4,000 cases. Also, now that data is available from many more large countries, I believe that I was mistaken in believing that China was factually reporting their new cases and such.
https://web.archive.org/web/20200428003 ... ronavirus/

I like what Sweden is doing, staying as open as possible without overrunning their hospitals, instead of shutting down nearly everything possible and increasing restrictions as numbers decrease. If you remember, the original reason for the shutdown was to flatten the curve, not to save every possible life from COVID-19 irrespective of the costs. https://news.yale.edu/2002/05/23/rising ... cher-shows Remember, people will die from it. The longer this gets drug out, the longer the virus is around. The longer the virus is around, the longer it's possible for those susceptible to it to contract it. Not to mention how many people are going hungry; the people like the lady in town that died at home, in severe pain, from a bowel blockage because she didn't want to go to the hospital alone; the people that will die from heart attacks and the like because they can't get exercise because the parks are closed, the gyms are closed, the beaches are closed; et cetera...
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/07/ ... wn-sweden/

Something else I've been looking at is the case data for Hamilton County, TN. On Easter Sunday, there was a tornado outbreak. In the days and weeks since, there have been church groups from all over the area, random volunteers from who knows where, line crews from all over, and more... I've been in one of the hardest hit neighborhoods on at least 5 different days, and we know someone that was carried out of her house. There was at least one group of neighbors that went around and carried people out of the rubble before the emergency crews could even get in there. There have been large groups of people everywhere, handshakes, hugs, and homemade food galore, no social distancing, and no personal protective equipment has been worn by 95% of the people, except for masks. The masks are typically only worn inside of buildings to protect from the insulation, possibly asbestos, and whatever else may be in the air.

During all of this, Hamilton County has been increasing their testing. On April 9th, three days before the tornadoes, they had 98 positive tests and 10 deaths. On April 20th, 8 days after the tornadoes, they had 121 positive tests and 13 fatalities. Today, April 27th, they have 149 positive tests and 13 fatalities. There were at least a thousand people around, by some estimates. With all of the disregarding of the protocols by so many people, where is the spike in cases? Given how many more tests they are running now, I believe that the percentage of positive test results is actually going down. One site conducted 1,377 tests this weekend. Half of those have results, and 4 are positive.
The blue in this graph is the new cases. The gold is the total number of cases.
http://health.hamiltontn.org/AllService ... D-19).aspx
https://newschannel9.com/news/local/slo ... e-positive

There's also this little thing about SARS-CoV-2 having a half-life of 2 minutes on surfaces and 90 seconds when suspended in the air in a sunny, high humidity environment. Which, if true, means that there was little to no reason to close outdoor, public spaces.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN2253SA

Finally, if you live in a giant apartment building in, say, New York City, and you stay home, you will most likely be riding the same elevator or walking the same stairs as everyone else, you will be confined to a building that probably has low to medium humidity, little direct sunlight, and air will circulate throughout the building, spreading any potential droplets far and wide. The more time you spend in such a environment, the more likely you will be to contact and potentially contract COVID-19. {No sources because this paragraph is just my opinion.}

Maybe I should write a book about this...
These users thanked the author Things2do for the post:
sneepity (April 28th, 2020, 11:59 am)
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
sneepity
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by sneepity »

thank you things2do! I really appreciate the information (and opinion) you put out for us. Also I heard that everyone's eventually going to contract the virus, because there's no way that you most certainly can avoid human contact, directly or indirectly. But of course, it's going to happen over a long time.
B)
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

I believe that there is many people that have already contracted the virus, and survived through it before the coronavirus blew up, so everyone getting it could happen sooner than later imo.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

BennyTheJett wrote: April 28th, 2020, 12:14 pm I believe that there is many people that have already contracted the virus, and survived through it before the coronavirus blew up, so everyone getting it could happen sooner than later imo.
yee, it's somewhat inevitable, but people will just get it over a long period of time. In that case, I think there'll be traces of the virus until september
B)
nateDC
State: MD

Post by nateDC »

Changing the past topic, what are everyone's takes on the saying: "If you're young and not liberal, you don't have a heart. If you're old and not conservative, you don't have a brain."?
These users thanked the author nateDC for the post:
sneepity (June 1st, 2020, 12:05 pm)
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

nateDC wrote: June 1st, 2020, 11:51 am Changing the past topic, what are everyone's takes on the saying: "If you're young and not liberal, you don't have a heart. If you're old and not conservative, you don't have a brain."?
That's a new level of stereotyping. Just because someone is young, doesn't mean that they have to be liberal. They might as well be more traditional, because they prefer it. And just because someone is old, doesn't mean that they have to be conservative. They can be liberal! I think this saying is based off of the feeling that the new gen is more "new" and "rebellious" (meaning that they're open to various experiences and are supporting of freedom), and that the older gen is more "traditional" and "unwilling to change". I don't see how having an opinion should be connected to your intellectual knowledge and your emotions/feelings, or your age. I think this saying is just silly and wrong in many ways.
These users thanked the author sneepity for the post:
nateDC (June 1st, 2020, 12:05 pm)
B)
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

raytay wrote: June 1st, 2020, 4:08 pm I want to move to Canada. The World War II Memorial and Lincoln Memorial were both vandalized during protests. It makes me sick
Wanted to respond here rather than in YDRC... but if you are more concerned about the memorials than the actual lives that are being lost or endangered AS I POST THIS because of excessive police brutality, you need to re-evaluate your priorities.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote: June 1st, 2020, 5:39 pm
raytay wrote: June 1st, 2020, 4:08 pm I want to move to Canada. The World War II Memorial and Lincoln Memorial were both vandalized during protests. It makes me sick
Wanted to respond here rather than in YDRC... but if you are more concerned about the memorials than the actual lives that are being lost or endangered AS I POST THIS because of excessive police brutality, you need to re-evaluate your priorities.
I agree. I might be hypocritical as I say this now, because I posted about the Lincoln memorial, but police brutality has been getting out of hand. And oh the irony- protesters are being tear gasses and have had guns pointed at them for protesting! Isn't protesting a right for the citizens??? I still remember the #BlackRightsMatter protests- I thought the racism ended!
What do you guys think of the building being lighted on fire? I think that was over the top.
B)

Return to “General Chat”