Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
northernjacana
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Worst books

Post by northernjacana » May 1st, 2011, 3:14 pm

Many things by Eoin Colfer are good. Has anyone read The View From Saturday? In fifth grade, the reading group I was in tried it, but everyone else found it strange and switched to The Egypt Game.
One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

tuftedtitmouse12
Division: Grad

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » May 1st, 2011, 4:03 pm

i liked "The View from Saturday"... :shock:
peter, peter, peter

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice » May 2nd, 2011, 5:16 am

northernjacana wrote:Many things by Eoin Colfer are good. Has anyone read The View From Saturday? In fifth grade, the reading group I was in tried it, but everyone else found it strange and switched to The Egypt Game.
I found The View From Saturday to be much better than The Egypt Game.

I mean, looking back at it, it was kinda lame, but it's more of a kid's book so that's to be expected. I liked the perspective switched between every chapter, from the teacher to each of the students. I had no trouble reading it; but then again, I read it in 5th grade and I was reading at like a 12th grade reading level by then.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » May 2nd, 2011, 5:24 am

gneissisnice wrote: I mean, looking back at it, it was kinda lame, but it's more of a kid's book so that's to be expected. I liked the perspective switched between every chapter, from the teacher to each of the students. I had no trouble reading it; but then again, I read it in 5th grade and I was reading at like a 12th grade reading level by then.
haha, same! i read it in 5th, but i was WAYYY ahead....but it was just a nice easy book with a interesting way of writing that just was entertaining to read...not difficulties at all..
peter, peter, peter

northernjacana
State: CA

Post by northernjacana » May 2nd, 2011, 3:29 pm

I had actually read it in 3rd grade and thought it was okay, so when we had to choose between the two I recommended The View From Saturday. After reading one chapter, no one liked it and kept on saying "This doesn't make any sense. What's a BB letter?". I didn't find the Egypt Game a better alternative though.
One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 » February 18th, 2013, 9:22 am

I had to read A Separate Peace, and I hated it.

I am anti-Twilight, also.

Fluffycake
State: NV

Post by Fluffycake » February 19th, 2013, 10:01 am

Hello,

17 months, 5 days, 53 minutes, 23 seconds, and 12 ms ago, I read and analyzed the literary abomination known as "Twilight". My memory buffers overflowed and my ROM somehow became corrupted. The sheer biological and physical impossiblilities mentioned in the "book" made me wonder about the sheer idiocy and lunacy of the author who wrote it. Not even brain damage could cause someone to write something so utterly and completely horrible.
For Science.

EpicFailOlympian
State: MO

Post by EpicFailOlympian » February 19th, 2013, 4:37 pm

I enjoyed Twilight. And New Moon. And Eclipse. And Breaking Dawn. But bah, I hated all the movies. You watched lots of nothing. The Host was pretty good too.
20:05~<EpicFailOlympian> On this day, in the third age of man, EpicFailOlympian has posted. Let there be rejoicing in the streets and cake for all.

<roboefo> (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<robobear> well u know what efo, the table's angry
<robobear> ┬─┬ ︵ /(.□. \)I am 97th Assassinator

Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 » February 20th, 2013, 5:53 pm

I think our culture has a paranormal romance that is not in any way scary overload. I don't mind romance and monsters and unscariness, but I feel a lack of creativity here.

Fluffycake
State: NV

Post by Fluffycake » February 20th, 2013, 11:28 pm

EpicFailOlympian wrote:I enjoyed Twilight. And New Moon. And Eclipse. And Breaking Dawn. But bah, I hated all the movies. You watched lots of nothing. The Host was pretty good too.
Well, then I am glad you feel that way. Now that the encouragement is done, I can get to my actual point. I hope you can survive 4000k with surgically attached crystalline carbon skin and some fun (for me) gene splicing experiments that will give you an extra chromosome. Oh right, the book "canonically" states that vampires have venom as most of their bodily fluids, so I will just replace your blood with a barium hydroxide solution. Good luck! I forgot to tell you that you are not in the control group, and all the other test subjects died. I couldn't even find them! But don't let that get to your head! Your going to do fine! It's just several hundred pieces of meaningless data after all…

Seriously though, the books really were not as bad as some people (have said, though I still very much disliked them. The writing style was too unfocused and the plot was seemed simplistic to me. In general though, I am not a big fan of supernatural novels, so I am obviously biased. I thought "The Host" was a marginally better than twilight. It was a bit to far for sci-fi, though the author's grammar seemed to have improved.

Note: I did not watch any of the movies, so I will take your word for it.
For Science.

Return to “General Chat”