How to recruit builders

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
MTV<=>Operator
Division: C
State: NY

How to recruit builders

Post by MTV<=>Operator » January 24th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Recently my team has had a shortage of builders and this is worrying, especially since I am likely to be the build coordinator next year. Our Team C doesn't have anyone doing build events and our Team B has one experienced member and a rookie. The experienced member has many other commitments, however, and is not the most active in scioly. My partner on Team A is graduating this year as well. Not only am I worried about taking on 3 out of the 5 build events essentially by myself next year, but it concerns me that there aren't really any builders to take spots in Teams B and C for the future. It seems as though all students interested in technology and engineering in my school join the robotics team. No one on the team is willing to try any build events because it seems that they are just as terrified of building as I am of studying. If anyone has any suggestions of how I can recruit builders, I would greatly appreciate it.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018: Mousetrap, Hovercraft, Towers
2018-2019: Mousetrap (8th regional), Boomilever (3rd regional), Wright Stuff
2020 Events/YUSO/regional
Gravity Vehicle/9/5
Detector Building/8/7
Wright Stuff/--/10
Ping Pong Parachute/--/--

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Re: How to recruit builders

Post by MadCow2357 » January 24th, 2020, 6:44 pm

MTV<=>Operator wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 2:47 pm
Recently my team has had a shortage of builders and this is worrying, especially since I am likely to be the build coordinator next year. Our Team C doesn't have anyone doing build events and our Team B has one experienced member and a rookie. The experienced member has many other commitments, however, and is not the most active in scioly. My partner on Team A is graduating this year as well. Not only am I worried about taking on 3 out of the 5 build events essentially by myself next year, but it concerns me that there aren't really any builders to take spots in Teams B and C for the future. It seems as though all students interested in technology and engineering in my school join the robotics team. No one on the team is willing to try any build events because it seems that they are just as terrified of building as I am of studying. If anyone has any suggestions of how I can recruit builders, I would greatly appreciate it.
My team pulled a rly good builder from the robotics team a few years ago, coercing them with cookies might not be a bad idea.
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and sadly not Gravity Vehicle
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Andrew Yang for VP!
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

OpticsNerd
State: WI
Has thanked: 0

Post by OpticsNerd » January 31st, 2020, 9:17 am

Maybe look to some people on the team who are currently not builders? I think if you could offer to help them get started on a building event(arguably the hardest part depending on the build) they might do it

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist » February 3rd, 2020, 6:33 pm

Builders can always be made. That said there are some people that are more naturally talented at it than others. Find those that have the affinity for building and you can start resolving the issue.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

moonstar1222
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by moonstar1222 » February 9th, 2020, 6:14 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Maybe I'll fail a class and not graduate
THHS Build Cap

2019-2020: Boomilever, Gravity, Detector, Wright

MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) » March 2nd, 2020, 4:35 am

MTV<=>Operator wrote:
I see where this can become an issue, however our team always has MORE builders that studiers, so much so where that can be an issue. Most of the builders come from the robotics team. However, if you have an engineering class at your school, go to the teacher teaching it, and ask them if there are any really good building inclined individuals, and try recruiting them; potentially paying them off to start is a good idea if you're that desperate.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5

"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do"

Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome » March 2nd, 2020, 7:07 am

Please avoid replying to trolls, it just means another post we have to clean up. Reporting them is enough. (even if they're funny)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MTV<=>Operator

Post by MTV<=>Operator » March 3rd, 2020, 4:24 pm

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 4:35 am
MTV<=>Operator wrote:
I see where this can become an issue, however our team always has MORE builders that studiers, so much so where that can be an issue. Most of the builders come from the robotics team. However, if you have an engineering class at your school, go to the teacher teaching it, and ask them if there are any really good building inclined individuals, and try recruiting them; potentially paying them off to start is a good idea if you're that desperate.
Thanks, I'll check with the teacher to see if there is anyone with build potential.
Unome wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 7:07 am
Please avoid replying to trolls, it just means another post we have to clean up. Reporting them is enough. (even if they're funny)
Trolls?
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018: Mousetrap, Hovercraft, Towers
2018-2019: Mousetrap (8th regional), Boomilever (3rd regional), Wright Stuff
2020 Events/YUSO/regional
Gravity Vehicle/9/5
Detector Building/8/7
Wright Stuff/--/10
Ping Pong Parachute/--/--

Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome » March 3rd, 2020, 6:42 pm

MTV<=>Operator wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 4:24 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 4:35 am
MTV<=>Operator wrote:
Thanks, I'll check with the teacher to see if there is anyone with build potential.
Unome wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 7:07 am
Trolls?
Don't reply to anything that's obviously going to get deleted. Regardless of the category.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “General Chat”