COVID-19

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: COVID-19

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Yet NYC schools stay open. I was unsure before, but it seems like schools really need to be closed at this point. There are more than 50 reported cases and given the population density of NYC there many be hundreds more. All public colleges have switched to online classes and so have many private ones as well. Every single activity, even something with only 30 people has been suspended, cancelled, or postponed indefinitely. Many students in my school, and sometimes myself, get to school by taking packed buses and subways. My school is also located on the campus of a public university where a professor was reported to have tested positive on Tuesday (This may be false). But the fact that seniors are taking college classes on the campus increases the risk that someone will catch the virus. The mayor has declared a state of emergency is encouraging businesses to let people work at home while discouraging the use of public transportation. Also all large gatherings are canceled, yet it's still okay for hundreds of students to be in a cafeteria at the same time? Closing schools just seems like the logical thing to do at this point given the risk.
These users thanked the author MTV<=>Operator for the post:
gz839918 (March 13th, 2020, 8:36 am)
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Here in Washington: "According to The Seattle Times, Gov. Jay Inslee is expected to order all schools in King, Snohomish, and Pierce Counties to close until April 24. Inslee is scheduled to hold a press conference at 2 p.m."
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: March 12th, 2020, 2:01 pm Yet NYC schools stay open. I was unsure before, but it seems like schools really need to be closed at this point. There are more than 50 reported cases and given the population density of NYC there many be hundreds more. All public colleges have switched to online classes and so have many private ones as well. Every single activity, even something with only 30 people has been suspended, cancelled, or postponed indefinitely. Many students in my school, and sometimes myself, get to school by taking packed buses and subways. My school is also located on the campus of a public university where a professor was reported to have tested positive on Tuesday (This may be false). But the fact that seniors are taking college classes on the campus increases the risk that someone will catch the virus. The mayor has declared a state of emergency is encouraging businesses to let people work at home while discouraging the use of public transportation. Also all large gatherings are canceled, yet it's still okay for hundreds of students to be in a cafeteria at the same time? Closing schools just seems like the logical thing to do at this point given the risk.
It does seem like the logical thing to do, but there are a large number of school children who rely on attending school in order to eat every day. Their families are often too poor to afford food at home, which is why NYC has been so resilient about schools staying open. This is also the reason for why NYC rarely cancels school even for large amounts of snow.

I don't know if the benefits of keeping schools open outweigh the negatives (e.g. everybody getting corona), but I thought it'd be important to remind everyone that most people in America are not as fortunate as we are - not everyone attends a school with the resources to support enrichment programs like SciOly. Hope this was helpful.
These users thanked the author MadCow2357 for the post (total 2):
MTV<=>Operator (March 12th, 2020, 2:47 pm) • gz839918 (March 13th, 2020, 8:36 am)
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
MTV<=>Operator
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

MadCow2357 wrote: March 12th, 2020, 2:24 pm
MTV<=>Operator wrote: March 12th, 2020, 2:01 pm Yet NYC schools stay open. I was unsure before, but it seems like schools really need to be closed at this point. There are more than 50 reported cases and given the population density of NYC there many be hundreds more. All public colleges have switched to online classes and so have many private ones as well. Every single activity, even something with only 30 people has been suspended, cancelled, or postponed indefinitely. Many students in my school, and sometimes myself, get to school by taking packed buses and subways. My school is also located on the campus of a public university where a professor was reported to have tested positive on Tuesday (This may be false). But the fact that seniors are taking college classes on the campus increases the risk that someone will catch the virus. The mayor has declared a state of emergency is encouraging businesses to let people work at home while discouraging the use of public transportation. Also all large gatherings are canceled, yet it's still okay for hundreds of students to be in a cafeteria at the same time? Closing schools just seems like the logical thing to do at this point given the risk.
It does seem like the logical thing to do, but there are a large number of school children who rely on attending school in order to eat every day. Their families are often too poor to afford food at home, which is why NYC has been so resilient about schools staying open. This is also the reason for why NYC rarely cancels school even for large amounts of snow.

I don't know if the benefits of keeping schools open outweigh the negatives (e.g. everybody getting corona), but I thought it'd be important to remind everyone that most people in America are not as fortunate as we are - not everyone attends a school with the resources to support enrichment programs like SciOly. Hope this was helpful.
Yes, I mentioned this in a post above and that's part of the reason why I was previously opposed to closing schools, but I'm sure some sort of system can be implemented, such as allowing students that need food to come to their school and pick up food for the day at a designated time. This could be difficult for students that don't live near their school, but its an idea. My point is that each day we attend school increases the chance that we will catch the virus and many of us, including myself, live with relatives that cannot afford to catch this virus.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

Welp my college is going online for the rest of the semester... But I get a longer break. Yay I guess?
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Ulnar
Division: B
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ulnar »

Governor Dewine announced a mandatory closing of all types of K-12 schools in Ohio from after school March 16 until April 3. 3 week spring break....
theskyisred
State: NJ

Post by theskyisred »

Our school is going online
In Honor of the healthcare workers and scientists helping us get through these times, and in memory of those who lost their lives to coronavirus.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Ulnar wrote: March 12th, 2020, 5:36 pm Governor Dewine announced a mandatory closing of all types of K-12 schools in Ohio from after school March 16 until April 3. 3 week spring break....
Let's remember this in 2 weeks and let's see what kind of case surge Ohio gets...
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Frost0125
Division: C
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Frost0125 »

Unome wrote: March 12th, 2020, 6:06 pm
Ulnar wrote: March 12th, 2020, 5:36 pm Governor Dewine announced a mandatory closing of all types of K-12 schools in Ohio from after school March 16 until April 3. 3 week spring break....
Let's remember this in 2 weeks and let's see what kind of case surge Ohio gets...
Didn't Maryland close their school too?
2020/2021 Events: Chem Lab, Codebusters, Experimental Design, Fast Facts
Ulnar

Post by Ulnar »

Frost0125 wrote: March 12th, 2020, 6:47 pm
Unome wrote: March 12th, 2020, 6:06 pm
Didn't Maryland close their school too?
Yes, until the 27th iirc.

Return to “General Chat”