COVID-19

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
k1208438
Division: B
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: COVID-19

Post by k1208438 »

jimmy-bond wrote: May 20th, 2020, 11:02 am Woohoo indoors until June 30th. Fun.
until december 18 and counting. . .

my school chair has a dent in it
Last edited by k1208438 on December 18th, 2020, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy-bond
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by jimmy-bond »

k1208438 wrote: December 18th, 2020, 2:55 pm
jimmy-bond wrote: May 20th, 2020, 11:02 am Woohoo indoors until June 30th. Fun.
until december 18 and counting. . .

my school chair has a dent in it
Until my graduation in May. Great way to spend senior year.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
Fyren
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Fyren »

Now that the pandemic's been going on for over a year, how do you guys feel? What have you learned from this past year? What have your experiences been with the pandemic? Has it been positive or negative? Feel free to answer any of these questions and more for as long as you want.
These users thanked the author Fyren for the post:
gz839918 (April 3rd, 2021, 3:15 pm)
VENI, VIDI, VICI.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Fyren wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 10:07 am What have you learned from this past year?
People are stupid. Well, we knew that anyway.

I think what I've learned is that people are binary. Many people can handle "safe" vs "unsafe", but just can't grasp gradations of risk. Which, given that successfully negotiating the pandemic is all about risk management, is a problem.
These users thanked the author knightmoves for the post (total 3):
Unome (April 4th, 2021, 12:06 am) • LittleMissNyan (April 4th, 2021, 6:31 am) • Umaroth (April 4th, 2021, 11:01 am)
Fyren

Post by Fyren »

knightmoves wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 6:26 pm I think what I've learned is that people are binary. Many people can handle "safe" vs "unsafe", but just can't grasp gradations of risk. Which, given that successfully negotiating the pandemic is all about risk management, is a problem.
This is definitely something I have seen. I remember before everyone found out the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was extremely effective (95%!) in November, they complained that there wouldn't be much of a point in taking it since it wouldn't be super effective anyways. The same goes for masks; a couple of weeks ago, I heard my gym teacher talk about how his doctor said that masks were basically useless at protecting people from the virus (I highly doubt that an actual medical professional said that but whatever). I then saw him go right next to the other gym teacher, sling his arm over him, and take his mask off while he talked right in front of the other gym teacher's face. :shock:
As you said, a lot of people's reactions have been black and white even though most things really aren't that way. Even if a vaccine or a mask is, say, 60% effective, most people can't grasp that it's a whole lot better than 0% and instead focus on the other 40%, leading them to just ditch protective measures entirely. The same goes for when the pandemic situation gets better and restrictions ease; people think "Oh, things are back to normal! Time to go out and have fun!" and assume that they no longer need to protect themselves at all. A few weeks later, there's a surge in cases, and the cycle starts all over again.
These users thanked the author Fyren for the post:
LittleMissNyan (April 4th, 2021, 6:32 am)
VENI, VIDI, VICI.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Fyren wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:56 pm The same goes for masks; a couple of weeks ago, I heard my gym teacher talk about how his doctor said that masks were basically useless at protecting people from the virus (I highly doubt that an actual medical professional said that but whatever).
Yeah, sounds like selective hearing and poor thinking.

It's true enough that a cloth mask on your face has only a modest effect at protecting you from the virus. If you've only got one mask, it's much more effective if you put it over the face of the infected person. (That's why all the "you can wear a mask if you like - it's your choice" people are evil.) The primary reason for you to wear a mask is to protect other people from the virus that you might have (people are at their most infectious the day or so before they start showing Covid symptoms, so you probably don't know you're sick.)
MorningCoffee
Division: C
State: PA

Post by MorningCoffee »

WOOO VACCINE HAS BEEN APPROVED FOR PEOPLE AGES 12-15 I CAN FINALLY GET IT

But for real, this is a huge step towards the end of this pandemic, and I'm really happy that many others (including myself) can help play a part in stopping this disaster by simply getting vaccinated. (Getting my first dose this Sunday!) I can't wait for this pandemic to end, I miss being able to do stuff normally :,)

*sips hot cocoa in approval*
These users thanked the author MorningCoffee for the post (total 3):
gz839918 (May 13th, 2021, 3:34 pm) • AstroClarinet (May 13th, 2021, 3:57 pm) • LittleMissNyan (May 14th, 2021, 3:19 am)
Events 2023-2024:
uhh we'll find out let me apply to college first

orch dork forever
hot chocolate is best drink c:
MorningCoffee
Division: C
State: PA

Post by MorningCoffee »

ahahah i got vaccinated yesterday and everything feels terrible

but at least i'm half immune to covid now >:)
Events 2023-2024:
uhh we'll find out let me apply to college first

orch dork forever
hot chocolate is best drink c:
Jehosaphat
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by Jehosaphat »

MorningCoffee wrote: May 17th, 2021, 3:51 am ahahah i got vaccinated yesterday and everything feels terrible

but at least i'm half immune to covid now >:)
Get hyped lol

Does anybody know why the side effects are severe as they are? I haven't seen much explaining that part.
Waiting for the return of Ecology all by myself
HHS '22
Hope '26

Return to “General Chat”