Just kidding. We already planned for such situations approximately 8 long years ago. Welcome to the eighth year of SSSS! We are looking forward to working with everyone, and as always, we want to see everyone’s fantastic work.
Please read through all of this post. All details are in here and they are important.
Note: The SSSS is not a tournament. It is not meant to be a competitive event, but an unofficial study event to practice for the upcoming Science Olympiad season.
SSSS will begin on June 7th, 2020 and continue through mid-August.
This event will be run similarly to previous years. You submit a resource, listed below, for one of the events scheduled for the 2020-2021 season. Once it is approved by an SSSS moderator, you gain access to all other resources submitted to SSSS! The resources are yours to use, but we ask that they are not shared with other people (including teammates) not in SSSS. Around August, when SSSS ends, these resources are uploaded to the wiki, test exchange, and image gallery unless otherwise specified. Builds are accepted.
Please note that any resources submitted may be uploaded to the wiki or test exchange at the end of the event, regardless of whether or not they were accepted. This is so as many resources as possible are available for other people to use and learn from.
Interested? Here are the logistics of participating in SSSS in detail:
1. Make a forum account if you don’t have one yet. Due to logistical reasons, we can only add users who are members of scioly.org
2.There are multiple ways to get involved. First, pick an event from our list of tentative 2021 events in this document.
Events with specific lists attached to them (i.e. Rocks and Minerals, Herpetology, etc.) will have the lists linked in the events document.
- Submission guidelines. Related to your chosen event, your submission can be any from the following list:
- test with an answer key (send the test and key as two separate PDFs). This must be tournament quality and length.
- You may submit notes for an event scheduled for 2020. The notes must be similarly extensive and at least 7,000 words long.
- You may submit a set of images AND build plans for build events. There must be at least 3 images. They can be CAD or actual images.
- You may submit a building guide for build events, like Aia’s Boomilever Guide. Guides must be a minimum of 1,000 words and include diagrams and clear, concise instructions. Tips are good as well.
3. Check the Test Exchange to find examples of tests that have been submitted by other users in the past. These are also examples we advise moderators to compare with as well. All tests that are sub-bullets of “SSSS 2017”, or other years, were past resources that have been accepted.
4.You email your resource to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email should be titled [Your scioly.org username]’s [Name of Event] [Type of Resource: test, notes, plans, or guide]; for example, “Mnstrviola’s Experimental Design Test”. The file(s) should be attached to the email, preferably in PDF format.
5.The moderators will look over your submission. If it is not approved, we will reply to the email with suggestions on issues and/or improvement. Our moderators will work with you to improve the quality of your submission until it is accepted, usually advising what to look into or study. You should receive a response from within 5 days, but please feel free to remind us if you don’t. When responding to an email, please click REPLY TO ALL. Failure to do so may cause confusion and delays in processing your submission.
6. Once accepted, you will be provided with details on how to access SSSS resources through your scioly account.
SSSS will end sometime in August. All resources will all be added to the scioly.org wiki and Test Exchange unless the user requests otherwise. You MUST tell us beforehand if you do not wish to have your notes and/or tests uploaded publicly.
We need a ton of help to make SSSS work, so here’s your chance to give back to the scioly community and gain significant practice with test writing and reviewing! Be a mod! Fill out the application here: https://forms.gle/Miger63aukR2WCWA8 Moderators will be notified of their selection two to four days before SSSS begins to allow for maximum time for applications to come in.
Have any questions or comments? First, check our new extra detailed list of instructions. We compiled questions from over 7 years in our FAQs here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2OB4WOwJeY2Mtq9Nw-6gI45t3eb4gbP4v64nVSfUMo/edit?usp=sharing .