Frustrating team members?

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
User avatar
packer-backer91
Member
Member
Posts: 199
Joined: December 20th, 2007, 6:51 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: chillin with Walter White
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Frustrating team members?

Post by packer-backer91 » April 13th, 2010, 5:44 pm

winneratlife wrote: Hey, at least you guys even have practice...

We have 15 minute meetings after school just to get the info around...and like, 6 people show...

You have lazy people, and I get an entire frickin' lazy team!

The exact same here too. The person that I talked about is the one that I talked about is the only of the members to be lazy/ uncommitted it SO without doing ANYTHING else [no job, sport, or other activity] the rest of the people that don’t do a lot in Science Olympiad really do things out side of SO, and I understand why they don't always have practice. I dislike that kid I talked about that I call him a lazy peace of garbage to put it politely. Even though I will not be on the team next year I still am going to be happy to hear that he wont be on that event again next year! I’m sorry If anyone thinks my opinion of this kid is a little too hash, no one wants to hear that about themselves but all my teammates can agree and think he is too.
Last edited by packer-backer91 on April 14th, 2010, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss

talksalot
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: February 12th, 2010, 10:09 am
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Frustrating team members?

Post by talksalot » April 13th, 2010, 6:26 pm

We have practices for scioly, but they aren't really practices. We do nothing and we procrastinate. Honestly the only reasons we have practices our to get out of our various sports, lol. but luckily we're all pretty good about studying together for our events separately.


anyways, that's not what annoys me. In a certain event, I'll admit, my partner knew wayyyyyy more about it than I did. (not anatomy, that's my fav). Anyways, he knew he knew it better than me, so I had the job of writing the answers. However, he would say REALLY LOUDLY things like "I think number 16 is A...although it could be B. I think A tho, what about you? I'd be like yea, it's A, but shhhhhhhh.... and he would get annoyed at me! I had to tell him this like 10 times honestly throughout the test. I mean I know he knows more about it than me, but at least I don't tell everyone around me the answers!
2010 events
Anatomy-1st at regionals and state =)
cell bio-2nd at regionals? 1st at state
forensics-4th at regionals, guessed most answers at state, lol

User avatar
sciencegeek100
Member
Member
Posts: 307
Joined: April 6th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Earth
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Frustrating team members?

Post by sciencegeek100 » April 14th, 2010, 9:26 pm

cyanoacrylateismybff wrote:So, here's the place to rant about team members who frustrate you. Anonymity is a good idea, and nothing super-duper mean, okay? we don't encourage cyber-bullying!
But as a member with the frustrations of 2 seniors dropouts (before states) and one case of a senior cheating (which almost DQed our team), and now another senior plotting to just score as low as possible at states, i know how it feels. so, i wanted to start a page so other people can have that place to rant, if necessary.
REMEMBER, DO not use names or schools, and be nice! and do not take anyone's post too seriously!!

well, my first 2 years there was a member who manage to get lost at at least 2/3 competitions and not after there events... ironically for there post national gag gift at our team party he was given a modified "where is waldo" book that was "where is ____" i left it blank to protect his idenity.
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)

User avatar
sweetcoop
Member
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: November 13th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Division: Grad
State: CO
Location: On top of the World
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Frustrating team members?

Post by sweetcoop » April 15th, 2010, 5:51 am

Wow where was this topic so many times this year.

Well I imagine that most of you have read about how I lost the event Dynamic Planet to a cheerleader that does not know enough for the event. I was frustrated with the team member but that has passed since Dynamic Planet was at the same time as WIDI at regionals and is the same time as WIDI at State. What is more frustrating was two years ago the fact that half of the team was on the team because they thought the class would be an easy A, yes my school has Sci Oly as a class. This year there have been many people on the team that only play games with does frustrate me but I realize that I can tell the correct people and their grade will go down.
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me

User avatar
lllazar
Member
Member
Posts: 839
Joined: November 19th, 2009, 7:20 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Location: Probably at my laptop, multitasking while on AJAX chat....
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Frustrating team members?

Post by lllazar » April 15th, 2010, 5:08 pm

sweetcoop wrote:Wow where was this topic so many times this year.

Well I imagine that most of you have read about how I lost the event Dynamic Planet to a cheerleader that does not know enough for the event. I was frustrated with the team member but that has passed since Dynamic Planet was at the same time as WIDI at regionals and is the same time as WIDI at State. What is more frustrating was two years ago the fact that half of the team was on the team because they thought the class would be an easy A, yes my school has Sci Oly as a class. This year there have been many people on the team that only play games with does frustrate me but I realize that I can tell the correct people and their grade will go down.
Sci oly class you say?....
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

User avatar
sweetcoop
Member
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: November 13th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Division: Grad
State: CO
Location: On top of the World
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Frustrating team members?

Post by sweetcoop » April 15th, 2010, 5:12 pm

lllazar wrote:
sweetcoop wrote:Wow where was this topic so many times this year.

Well I imagine that most of you have read about how I lost the event Dynamic Planet to a cheerleader that does not know enough for the event. I was frustrated with the team member but that has passed since Dynamic Planet was at the same time as WIDI at regionals and is the same time as WIDI at State. What is more frustrating was two years ago the fact that half of the team was on the team because they thought the class would be an easy A, yes my school has Sci Oly as a class. This year there have been many people on the team that only play games with does frustrate me but I realize that I can tell the correct people and their grade will go down.
Sci oly class you say?....
Worst Idea ever. at least next year we are always going to be out in the drafting room in the shops building.

Well today I had one of my partners for Mission Possible tell me that the device is stupid and need to be redone almos a week before state. well this is definatly Mission IM-possible.
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me

User avatar
lllazar
Member
Member
Posts: 839
Joined: November 19th, 2009, 7:20 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Location: Probably at my laptop, multitasking while on AJAX chat....
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Frustrating team members?

Post by lllazar » April 16th, 2010, 9:31 pm

sweetcoop wrote:
lllazar wrote:
sweetcoop wrote:Wow where was this topic so many times this year.

Well I imagine that most of you have read about how I lost the event Dynamic Planet to a cheerleader that does not know enough for the event. I was frustrated with the team member but that has passed since Dynamic Planet was at the same time as WIDI at regionals and is the same time as WIDI at State. What is more frustrating was two years ago the fact that half of the team was on the team because they thought the class would be an easy A, yes my school has Sci Oly as a class. This year there have been many people on the team that only play games with does frustrate me but I realize that I can tell the correct people and their grade will go down.
Sci oly class you say?....
Worst Idea ever. at least next year we are always going to be out in the drafting room in the shops building.

Well today I had one of my partners for Mission Possible tell me that the device is stupid and need to be redone almos a week before state. well this is definatly Mission IM-possible.
You know...ive never really had to deal with such...cheeky partners. If my partners aren't willing to do any work after i give them a few chances, fine with me, that's pretty much how 3 of my events went at state...i do the work, they get a state medal. Now for fossils, that was fine. The stations weren't really a battle against the clock. But for bridge...i just didn't trust my partner to have the competence to STEADY A BUCKET, so i just told her that one of my other friends on the team was "more experienced"....

But ya, you really just learn to go with it, i suppose its a little annoying when you have pompous prats on your team who for some reason think theyre intelligent, but that's not really how it is on our sci oly team...if your lazy, you know your lazy, and you know (or at least they better know) that there are other more dedicated members on the team that actually have dreams of going to nats and perhaps have the abilities to be competitive there....

If theres one thing ive learned about sci oly, heck, about life...it's not about whether you have the answers, but whether or not you know how to find them in time...basically, hard work beats super smart asian kids in sci oly...unless the super smart asians work hard.... :twisted:
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

User avatar
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 417
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Frustrating team members?

Post by blue cobra » April 16th, 2010, 11:57 pm

In the beginning of the season, one of the new members was beginning to brainstorm ideas for Physical Science Lab. His ideas were way out there, so the coach asked me to help him get started, since I did the event last year. He rudely rejected my advice, and in what I assume was him trying to prove that he was smarter than me he began using many complicated words, that I knew, and so I knew they made little to no sense. To make a long story short, I worked on the event for one hour, he labored over it for weeks, and I got first and he got third.

But for me, frustrating coaches are a much bigger problem. We have 4 coaches: two of them are amazing, one has no clue what he's doing half the time, and the other never trusts you and seems unwilling to give you information. The fourth in that list happens to know everything about one of my events, but every time I ask her a question, she always asks me where I got it as if any information that hasn't come out of her books must be false, and then she usually just tells me to not learn it. The best thing I ever get is a few printouts of information very marginally related to my question, the best information in which is the name of what I'm trying to solve so I can Google it...
In full color since 2006

User avatar
rkoopma2
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: April 9th, 2010, 7:56 am
Division: C
State: MI
Location: my parents say I'm off in my own little world ;)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Frustrating team members?

Post by rkoopma2 » April 17th, 2010, 3:27 pm

so there was this kid on our team last year who was really good, but got kicked off the team because he didn't show up for the awards ceremony at regionals because he was supposedly going back to get his calculator which he forgot at his event, but apparently he was really making out with his girlfriend (eewww!).
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan

User avatar
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 1539
Joined: November 18th, 2009, 12:59 pm
Division: Grad
State: IA
Location: Des Moines
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Frustrating team members?

Post by zyzzyva980 » April 17th, 2010, 5:32 pm

I've had good luck with my partners. This year I only had three over my six events. One was a computer hacker (always nice to have, especially in Compute This) one was... entertaining- but dedicated. And the other's parents would kill him if he quit. And we get along very well. All of us do, really. Of course, some of the sevies... they're another story.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Post Reply

Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests