Your Daily Random Comment

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Postby foreverphysics » July 18th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Who are Crown, Alex Morgan and Carli Lloyd? What is D59 and Next Generation?
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

fmtiger124
State: NY

Postby fmtiger124 » July 18th, 2011, 10:34 pm

:| :| :| :| :|
In other news, Alex Morgan <3

Carli Lloyd </3 Over the crossbar? Really?
I'm still in a bit of a state of shock over that game....How do you miss 3 penalties....much less blow a lead twice...I don't even... :cry: :cry:
As far as alex morgan goes, I can't really blame you haha

kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby kjhsscioly » July 18th, 2011, 10:53 pm

DS9 and NextGen are two of six series' of Star Trek

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby Kokonilly » July 19th, 2011, 5:06 am

Who are Crown, Alex Morgan and Carli Lloyd?
Crown = Carolina Crown, a great marching band with very nice drill [the arrangement the marchers take on the field]. The Crown starts at 3:07 and ends whenever; I was too lazy to check.

foreverphysics

Postby foreverphysics » July 19th, 2011, 7:29 am

Wait, isn't Star Trek a movie, not a TV series? Isn't Star Wars the one that is the TV series?
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Postby amerikestrel » July 19th, 2011, 7:50 am

Wait, isn't Star Trek a movie, not a TV series? Isn't Star Wars the one that is the TV series?
Let's take this from the top.

Star Trek, now called Star Trek: The Original Series (TOS), was a television series created by Gene Roddenberry in 1966. It ran until 1969 (3 seasons) and, despite it's short run, is considered one of the pioneering science fiction television shows. It starred William Shatner as James T. Kirk, Leonard Nimoy as Spock, and DeForest Kelley as Leonard McCoy.

Star Trek: The Animated Series (TAS) was after TOS. It isn't nearly as good as TOS and is sometimes considered as not canon. It ran for about a year.

Star Trek: The Next Generation (TNG) was the 3rd series in the Star Trek franchise, and the last that Gene Roddenberry worked on (he died in the 2nd season, I believe). It stars Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. It has 7 seasons – the first two are considered of lower quality, but the later seasons are extremely good. This is my personal favorite series.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) overlapped a bit with TNG – Picard made an appearance in the first episode. It is the only series that takes place on a space station instead of a starship. It generally has more complex story arcs than TNG or TOS.

Star Trek: Voyager (VOY) takes place on a starship lost in the Delta Quadrant, far from Earth. Their overall goal is to return home. The quality is about the same as DS9, if not slightly worse (but everyone has their own opinions on this).

Star Trek: Enterprise (ENT) is a prequel, taking place before TNG. I haven't seen it personally, but it's usually considered one of the worst series (apart from TAS). It's also the most recent, running from 2001-2005.

There are 11 movies overall. 7 star the cast of TOS (including the 2009 film) and 4 for TNG. I won't go into them in detail, but the best ones are probably Wrath of Kahn, The Voyage Home, and First Contact. The recent movie by JJ Abrams was also very good – it's sort of a "start up" of the old series.

I'll let someone else explain Star Wars.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14

TheGenius
State: KS

Postby TheGenius » July 19th, 2011, 8:13 am

Let's take this from the top.

Star Trek, now called Star Trek: The Original Series (TOS), was a television series created by Gene Roddenberry in 1966. It ran until 1969 (3 seasons) and, despite it's short run, is considered one of the pioneering science fiction television shows. It starred William Shatner as James T. Kirk, Leonard Nimoy as Spock, and DeForest Kelley as Leonard McCoy.

Star Trek: The Animated Series (TAS) was after TOS. It isn't nearly as good as TOS and is sometimes considered as not canon. It ran for about a year.

Star Trek: The Next Generation (TNG) was the 3rd series in the Star Trek franchise, and the last that Gene Roddenberry worked on (he died in the 2nd season, I believe). It stars Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. It has 7 seasons – the first two are considered of lower quality, but the later seasons are extremely good. This is my personal favorite series.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) overlapped a bit with TNG – Picard made an appearance in the first episode. It is the only series that takes place on a space station instead of a starship. It generally has more complex story arcs than TNG or TOS.

Star Trek: Voyager (VOY) takes place on a starship lost in the Delta Quadrant, far from Earth. Their overall goal is to return home. The quality is about the same as DS9, if not slightly worse (but everyone has their own opinions on this).

Star Trek: Enterprise (ENT) is a prequel, taking place before TNG. I haven't seen it personally, but it's usually considered one of the worst series (apart from TAS). It's also the most recent, running from 2001-2005.

There are 11 movies overall. 7 star the cast of TOS (including the 2009 film) and 4 for TNG. I won't go into them in detail, but the best ones are probably Wrath of Kahn, The Voyage Home, and First Contact. The recent movie by JJ Abrams was also very good – it's sort of a "start up" of the old series.

1. DS9 and VOY overlap for over four years.
  2. VOY is certainly not worse than DS9.
  3. ENT takes place before TOS and, while having the worst theme music, cannot be the worst as you get to see Earth being blown to pieces.
Any opinions expressed by TheGenius are those of individual brain cells and not necessarily those of the brain as a whole. Use information provided at your own risk.
152sQFbSTLEmeLiqUEWxmrEDpdiWKGvXJD

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby Kokonilly » July 19th, 2011, 8:31 am

Star Wars was originally a set of 3 movies chronicling the life of young Luke Skywalker. These 3 movies - A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi - are considered the 'original trilogy'. I HIGHLY recommend you watch these; they are essential parts of pop culture.

Some 20 years after the creation of the original trilogy, George Lucas (the creator of both Star Wars and Indiana Jones) decided he wanted to chronicle the life of Anakin Skywalker. These three movies - The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith - are considered to be not as good at the original trilogy, but moving on. This trilogy chronologically takes place before the original trilogy, but were made after. These are the prequels. You can watch these if you like, but meh.

Within Between The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones a bunch of years pass, so people decided to make TV shows about that time called The Clone Wars (so you are partially correct). These are on Cartoon Network and animated, but most people ignore them because they kind of suck. They may or may not be considered canon.

The best part (and the part most people know) of the Star Wars franchise is the original trilogy, but there have been volumes of fan works made, leading to an astonishing amount of information (with varying degrees of canonity) about every single supporting character in all 6 movies and an entire fan universe, but that's another story.

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Postby zyzzyva980 » July 19th, 2011, 8:36 am

Okay, so DCI was absolutely amazing last night, as it should have been. The Cadets got 1st, followed by the Blue Devils and Boston Crusaders.

I enjoyed the Crusaders, but the night belonged to the Cadets. They absolutely blew everyone away. Easily the best show of the night. I looked it up on YouTube ("Between Angels and Demons"), but it's nowhere near as good as it was in person- besides, they've added some stuff since the latest video. If the Cadets keep the show going this strong, they should win it all this year.

I was disappointed with the Blue Devils. They're 15 or 16 time world champions (I forget which) but their show didn't prove it. The technical stuff was good as always, but I think they fell on general effect- and that's where the Cadets cleaned up.

EDIT: Here's one of the best parts of the Cadets' show; it's gotten even better since this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge3eHnfAnRw
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

foreverphysics

Postby foreverphysics » July 19th, 2011, 10:53 am

Ah, thank you for your explanations. Though the chances of me watching Star Wars/Star Trek is (infinitesimally) small, I do appreciate your explanations. At least now I will know what someone is talking about when they mention a "Jedi". And...who is Bruno Mars? Only my friend mentioned him to me, and I didn't know who he was, so I asked her, and she didn't answer me.

Return to “General Chat”