Your Daily Random Comment

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Cheesy Pie
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Postby Cheesy Pie » April 10th, 2012, 3:39 am

Says the one who has a creeper as his avvie :P jk naps you're still a creeper
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE

geminicross
Division: C
State: GA

Postby geminicross » April 10th, 2012, 4:24 am

The county has recommended closing my school (and a few elementary schools) starting 2013-2014. So this year may have been our last year with Science Olympiad, or next year will be. At least we went to State this year :)

I'll be in 9th grade for the last year my school is scheduled to be operational (2012-2013).
I do hope everything works out, with the teachers and all. Hopefully the team continues on.

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby paleonaps » April 10th, 2012, 6:59 am

On top of that, junior year sucks. SO MUCH HOMEWORK.
Story of basically all of our lives, man. And at least you actually get to go to Orlando, though that's a bummer about not making your team this year (seriously though, they do that? We only kick returning members off if they're completely unproductive. Then again, you're going to nationals and we aren't...)
It's especially tough when you have to cut senior(s) due to the 7-senior limit, particularly if those seniors truly deserve a spot on the team. We had to cut a member of last year's national team from this year's team due to the 7-senior limit. It was genuinely heartbreaking to have to tell him.
I'm not a senior. Thankfully, it seems I may make it next year.
Anyway, I had completely forgotten about the creepy shoulder staring greeting thing. But it does need to happen.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby twototwenty » April 10th, 2012, 7:26 am

The same thing happened to me, paleonaps. I was on the states team last year, but I had some problems at regionals, and another builder went in my place to states. The worst part was, he did really terribly at states, far worse than what I would have done, because he waited until a week before to start working. It was really frustrating.

RandomPerson
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: IN

Postby RandomPerson » April 10th, 2012, 12:55 pm

On top of that, junior year sucks. SO MUCH HOMEWORK.
Story of basically all of our lives, man. And at least you actually get to go to Orlando, though that's a bummer about not making your team this year (seriously though, they do that? We only kick returning members off if they're completely unproductive. Then again, you're going to nationals and we aren't...)
It's especially tough when you have to cut senior(s) due to the 7-senior limit, particularly if those seniors truly deserve a spot on the team. We had to cut a member of last year's national team from this year's team due to the 7-senior limit. It was genuinely heartbreaking to have to tell him.
yeah it does stink sometimes. But its better than the alternative (risking having teams with 10+ seniors sweeping everyone). FM does this, and I think its a good strategy: Don't take on more than 7 of any year, that way when that year becomes the senior year, you won't have to cut anybody.

The 5 student limit on 9th graders (I believe only applies if your district separates your 9th graders into the high school) is much harsher, it makes cuts a lot less avoidable. I ended up not doing SO my 9th grade year partially because of it (there were 6 9th graders competing for those 5 spots without me).
A new era has begun

PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Location: Somewhere where you don't normally see Pacific Golden Plovers

Postby PacificGoldenPlover » April 10th, 2012, 1:05 pm

Your 8th graders CARED enough about doing scioly ninth grade year? In the last several years, we had no more than 3 ever do it at the junior high, and this year we had none. Next year, though, I hope to have the full arsenal.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)

foreverphysics
State: AL

Postby foreverphysics » April 10th, 2012, 1:08 pm

It's going to be PAIN next year to cut our team to 5 ninth graders.
Luckily, I'm one of the gray people. :D
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » April 10th, 2012, 1:40 pm

At least for ninth grader, you may still have an option of competing at the high school level. For seniors, if there's too many, you're done.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD

Postby knittingfrenzy18 » April 10th, 2012, 1:46 pm

I got a 37/40 on the NLE! Gold medal!
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com

chia
State: IL

Postby chia » April 10th, 2012, 2:02 pm

The 5 student limit on 9th graders (I believe only applies if your district separates your 9th graders into the high school) is much harsher, it makes cuts a lot less avoidable. I ended up not doing SO my 9th grade year partially because of it (there were 6 9th graders competing for those 5 spots without me).
Do that many schools actually have 9th graders on their team pulled from the high school? I know our district (Kennedy JHS) has never done it - I didn't realize it was such common practice. We did have a self-imposed limit based on tryouts - if you didn't make the top 15 by the end and you were an 8th grader, sucks to be you, can't be on JV or alternates. Dunnno if they still do that, though.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

Return to “General Chat”