Allinea
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Post by Allinea » October 4th, 2012, 1:34 pm

zyzzyva98 wrote:
Allinea wrote:Romney was being absolutely rude about going over his time limits.
Both candidates really ignored the time limits; the moderator hardly had any control over the debate. Sounds to me like you're looking for a reason to dislike Romney ;) Both candidates had their moments.

I watched the second half of the debate, and it seemed clear to me Romney had an upper hand over Obama. (It just means Romney prepared more, it's not as if a majority of their speeches were impromptu. And I know Obama's a better speaker than this, it was disappointing) I'm skeptical any of this matters, though. Most voters have already made up their minds, and I'm not sure how much the debates will sway the undecided group. Romney will have to be this dominant or more in the rest of the debates to win the election, and I'm not sure that he can be.

As for my preference: Go third-party candidates!
Keep in mind, I spend my school day around staunchly Democratic debate kids. We agreed today that Romney was visually dominant, and let's face it, we're a visual society, so he won that way. However, Romney flip-flopped on a lot of topics and wasn't really talking about his platform in-depth. Obama won on depth.
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]

winneratlife
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by winneratlife » October 4th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Allinea wrote:Keep in mind, I spend my school day around staunchly Democratic debate kids. We agreed today that Romney was visually dominant, and let's face it, we're a visual society, so he won that way. However, Romney flip-flopped on a lot of topics and wasn't really talking about his platform in-depth. Obama won on depth.
Actually, visually, Romney lost miserably.

Obama's tie had an amazing dimple (like honestly when I wasn't yelling at the screen for them both being morons when discussing the federal deficit I was obsessing over how great it was), Obama's suit was cut better in the shoulder, Obama's lapels didn't get sucked into the suit because of the stitching on the ends (idk what that stitching is called...it has a name, darn).

(Be more careful with word choice.)

liutony66
State: TX

Post by liutony66 » October 4th, 2012, 2:57 pm

Allinea wrote:
zyzzyva98 wrote:
Allinea wrote:Romney was being absolutely rude about going over his time limits.
Both candidates really ignored the time limits; the moderator hardly had any control over the debate. Sounds to me like you're looking for a reason to dislike Romney ;) Both candidates had their moments.

I watched the second half of the debate, and it seemed clear to me Romney had an upper hand over Obama. (It just means Romney prepared more, it's not as if a majority of their speeches were impromptu. And I know Obama's a better speaker than this, it was disappointing) I'm skeptical any of this matters, though. Most voters have already made up their minds, and I'm not sure how much the debates will sway the undecided group. Romney will have to be this dominant or more in the rest of the debates to win the election, and I'm not sure that he can be.

As for my preference: Go third-party candidates!
Keep in mind, I spend my school day around staunchly Democratic debate kids. We agreed today that Romney was visually dominant, and let's face it, we're a visual society, so he won that way. However, Romney flip-flopped on a lot of topics and wasn't really talking about his platform in-depth. Obama won on depth.
The strange thing is that Obama did not go in and strafe Mitt Romney like he could have. The lack of specifics, Cayman Islands, outsourcing, flip flopping, all of those things Obama could have used to attack Mitt, but he didn't.

I believe there are two reasons for this: number one, American voters are "tired" of the repeated attacks. (However, I'm sure most people would actually care less) Number two, I believe the Obama team is thinking ahead on this one. Most likely they will have Joe Biden go in and turn on the arsenal on Mitt Romney during the vice presidential debate, then Obama will come in during the second presidential debate and blast Romney apart.

The foreign policy debate will likely be a simple one for Obama - his foreign policy has been quite good.

fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog » October 4th, 2012, 3:31 pm

47%.... Why wouldn't he say 47%?
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly » October 4th, 2012, 3:52 pm

A teenage girl aspiring to become a fashion designer wrote: Obama's tie had an amazing dimple (like honestly when I wasn't yelling at the screen for them both being morons when discussing the federal deficit I was obsessing over how great it was), Obama's suit was cut better in the shoulder, Obama's lapels didn't get sucked into the suit because of the stitching on the ends (idk what that stitching is called...it has a name, darn).
I nominate winneratlife for "most fashion forward"

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 » October 4th, 2012, 4:19 pm

liutony66 wrote:Most likely they will have Joe Biden go in and turn on the arsenal on Mitt Romney during the vice presidential debate, then Obama will come in during the second presidential debate and blast Romney apart
I don't know if this is a good strategy. I feel like Biden is going to get destroyed by Ryan in the V.P. debate. It's Obama that has to come out and take the shots if he wants to win.
liutony66 wrote:The foreign policy debate will likely be a simple one for Obama - his foreign policy has been quite good.
Foreign policy has taken a backseat in this election. It doesn't even matter at this point. Americans are concerned about the economy, and that's what this election will be won and lost on. If Romney can convince voters that his plan will work, I think he has a real shot at winning. But even if foreign policy was an issue, Romney could gain an advantage by talking about the lack of progress in rogue states like Iran and North Korea, as well as China (which is not a rogue state but is, like the other two, a country that comes up most often in the news). Obama may have a good record in other countries, and Romney may have absolutely nothing, but all it would take is a simple "He hasn't done enough in the countries you're most scared of" to turn this around.

I do feel like Obama adopted a fairly okay strategy for the first debate: Stay above the fray, test the water. Unfortunately for him, it backfired when Romney came out shooting. Obama will definitely go after Romney in their next debate.

EDIT: It was noted yesterday on chat the Romney's flag pin was bigger than Obama's. Obama may have been more fashion-forward, but Romney was more American fashion-forward. He wanted it more. ;)
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Allinea
State: MN

Post by Allinea » October 4th, 2012, 8:13 pm

zyzzyva98 wrote:EDIT: It was noted yesterday on chat the Romney's flag pin was bigger than Obama's. Obama may have been more fashion-forward, but Romney was more American fashion-forward. He wanted it more. ;)
But his had a weird black spot on it that bugged me.

LOL, you guys took the wrong perspective on 'visual' :lol: I meant that he was calmer and addressed Obama directly, thus appearing the better of the two.

I'm going canoeing tomorrow and I'm pumped. 8-)
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]

SeemsLegit
State: NV

Post by SeemsLegit » October 5th, 2012, 1:40 pm

This post is legit.
This post seems legit.

Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 » October 5th, 2012, 1:56 pm

I saw "My Strange Addiction" today in Health class, and it was nasty. However, it was hilarious seeing everyone's reaction to the video.

Return to “General Chat”