Your Daily Random Comment

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Dragonshark
Division: Grad
State: WI

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Postby Dragonshark » May 8th, 2013, 5:24 pm

AP Literature test tomorrow. I think I'm going to be sick... :(
Overly complex literature is completely headache inducing, while difficult chemistry/physics problems aren't for some reason.
Nathan Hale HS SciO
2011 - Regionals/States: Anat/Phys [1/1!!!], Chem Lab [1/2]
2012 - Regionals/States: Chem Lab [1/6 >_< ], Forensics [2/1!!!], Protein [1/2], Team [9]
2013 - A/P, Chem Lab, 4N6, TPS, C/A (trial)

caseyotis
Division: C
State: NY

Postby caseyotis » May 8th, 2013, 6:13 pm

They're kind of like New York State AP exams, for a diploma that is required to graduate high school. You need a certain amount of credits. I don't know the difference between them and AP exams, but they're NY-specific.
The thing I was asking about was the eight-year-old taking the test. xD I mean, where would they be able to get that opportunity? Because really, I could self-teach myself a lot and be able to pass this pesky Earth Science Regent that I have to take a whole class for next year. I already know a fair amount of the material anyways.
Oh, Casey...there's no comparing Regents and AP tests. The Regents tests are nothing compared to their AP counterparts. There are several Regents' that I got a 95+ on with no studying that I know I would've lost several nights worth of sleep for their APs.

That being said, I guess it depends on the district as to whether or not you can take the Regents without the class as well. A friend of mine is in my Calc class but he's in 10th grade...he has to take the Trig Regents this year

As I was typing this I was worried about sounding condescending. I don't mean to come off that way at all, if I do
I forgive you for sounding condescending. xP But yeah, I'm in eighth grade, so I don't know AP. The Regents are scarily easy, though. I could already probably pass the World History Regents (and maybe U.S. History). I need to consult with someone from the district though, and I don't know where to start.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

ali941
State: CA

Postby ali941 » May 8th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Regarding testing/classes, you can pretty much do whatever you want whenever, provided your parents/school district are supportive enough.
Seriously? It would be so awesome to just be able to take this Regents exam without having to take the class, and take Chem or Physics or something instead. >.>
Oh, lol, I don't know about Regents exams... I'm not even sure what those are... But regarding the SAT/ACT/AP tests, or high school classes or subject/grade acceleration or whatever, it's really up to you/your parents/your school (or district) rather than the law. At least, I am fairly certain acceleration isn't illegalized anywhere, and if it is, we live in a stupid world.
In Cali, it isn't illegal, but extreme advancement is discouraged. During standardized testing, the four seventh graders in Geometry were forced to take the PreAlgebra exam because they weren't allowed to take Geometry, and I believe that they took the Algebra test in 6th grade. One of those kids leaves tomorrow for D.C. for a math competition. I don't know which one, but if he wins, he'll meet Obama. I pity Obama.
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Postby zyzzyva980 » May 8th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Overly complex literature is completely headache inducing, while difficult chemistry/physics problems aren't for some reason.
Lol. Dropped out of AP Lit last week when I looked at some admissions material for my college and said, "Oh, wait, I can't get any more credits for taking AP Lit. Why am I doing this again?"
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Postby iwonder » May 8th, 2013, 7:57 pm

We had one kid show up to the calc test and answer randomly because they were already accepted and couldn't get credit for the test no matter what they got, and another kid just didn't show up at all.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

winneratlife
State: MI

Postby winneratlife » May 8th, 2013, 8:08 pm

In Cali, it isn't illegal, but extreme advancement is discouraged. During standardized testing, the four seventh graders in Geometry were forced to take the PreAlgebra exam because they weren't allowed to take Geometry, and I believe that they took the Algebra test in 6th grade. One of those kids leaves tomorrow for D.C. for a math competition. I don't know which one, but if he wins, he'll meet Obama. I pity Obama.
National MathCounts is this weekend in DC...

To make it from California is VERY impressive, actually; some of the kids on that team are probably better than me.
Lol. Dropped out of AP Lit last week when I looked at some admissions material for my college and said, "Oh, wait, I can't get any more credits for taking AP Lit. Why am I doing this again?"
Dropped four tests for that reason haha.

mnstrviola
WikiMod Emeritus
WikiMod Emeritus

Postby mnstrviola » May 8th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Hey all,

This time of year tends to be very stressful for us students. In the heat of all the AP Tests, Finals, and SATs that are coming up in the following months, I'd like to remind everyone to simply enjoy life. No test is more important than spending time with the people you love. The score you get, the college you go to: these things mean nothing to these people because they love you for you, and not your class average or GPA. Though for some of us, it may seem like our parents expect nothing more than perfection, they don't. They'll be there for you as long as you are there with them. Your parents will always be proud of you. So study hard for these tests, but don't feel stressed.

If you are under a lot of stress, try taking a break. Maybe a walk in the park or some family time will clear your mind. Really. If you need someone to talk to, your friends, parents, and teachers are always there for you.

The point is, numbers on a paper mean nothing to the people who are close to you. I'm bad at making cheesy happy posts, but this is really coming from my heart. The past few days have really brought this up to light, in a sudden and difficult way.

So, good luck on your tests! Make sure to spend some time with your family :)

mwloveslm

Postby mwloveslm » May 8th, 2013, 9:35 pm

Hey all,

This time of year tends to be very stressful for us students. In the heat of all the AP Tests, Finals, and SATs that are coming up in the following months, I'd like to remind everyone to simply enjoy life. No test is more important than spending time with the people you love. The score you get, the college you go to: these things mean nothing to these people because they love you for you, and not your class average or GPA. Though for some of us, it may seem like our parents expect nothing more than perfection, they don't. They'll be there for you as long as you are there with them. Your parents will always be proud of you. So study hard for these tests, but don't feel stressed.

If you are under a lot of stress, try taking a break. Maybe a walk in the park or some family time will clear your mind. Really. If you need someone to talk to, your friends, parents, and teachers are always there for you.

The point is, numbers on a paper mean nothing to the people who are close to you. I'm bad at making cheesy happy posts, but this is really coming from my heart. The past few days have really brought this up to light, in a sudden and difficult way.

So, good luck on your tests! Make sure to spend some time with your family :)
AMEN :D
Livin' the Cali Lyfe (:
CHURCHILL MS
Build Events <3 <3

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Kokonilly » May 8th, 2013, 10:01 pm

To make it from California is VERY impressive, actually; some of the kids on that team are probably better than me.
And that, to winneratlife, is the highest form of praise possible. :P

49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby 49ers » May 9th, 2013, 11:16 am

DBQs for APUSH practice <3
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan