Your Daily Random Comment

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Post by JoeyC »

While I agree with y'all in a lot of what's been said, I wanna cause a bit of chaos so:

But is all the work really worth it?
Work leads to more work.
All this "capability" and knowledge accumulated, but we're all human, we all grow old and we all still die the same - no amount of hard work or type of knowledge can change that or should change that.
It's a good thing to work hard, but as a check to the easy tendency overwork, we evaluate: we look back on this in 30 years, will all this work have really been worth it in the grand scheme of things?
Or was the something else we were supposed to be pursuing?
pepperonipi
Division: C
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

JoeyC wrote: February 25th, 2020, 2:55 pm While I agree with y'all in a lot of what's been said, I wanna cause a bit of chaos so:

But is all the work really worth it?
Work leads to more work.
All this "capability" and knowledge accumulated, but we're all human, we all grow old and we all still die the same - no amount of hard work or type of knowledge can change that or should change that.
It's a good thing to work hard, but as a check to the easy tendency overwork, we evaluate: we look back on this in 30 years, will all this work have really been worth it in the grand scheme of things?
Or was the something else we were supposed to be pursuing?
I mean, what we're all basically trying to achieve in the long run of life is happiness, right? And that makes sense to pursue, no? I believe that's what we're all pursuing. Sure, that doesn't mean we're all trying to be happy every minute of our lives, but it just means that we're trying to have a pretty happy life.

Now, in regards to many of us in the SciOly community (and other communities) (along with just most kids these days), the message is that if we work hard, take the hardest classes, get the best grades, do some great things in extracirriculars, then we have a great shot at a good, tough college and then we can get us a great degree that will land us some great well-paying job that we can use to support ourselves, and boom: happy life. That message is pretty universally told to most teenagers these days. However, a few of us (or a lot of us) are starting to realize what life is really like if we try to follow this. It's certainly not easy, and amounts to a lot of work. That leads to some of us (like you, JoeyC) asking questions like the one you just asked, which regards the point of this all being worth it. After all, when you have a very long to-do list and are constantly stressed, it's totally fair to ask yourself if what you're doing is even worth it in the grand scheme of things.

So is it worth it, will following this path lead to happiness? I don't know. I can't answer that for you. Some people get happy by amassing giant amounts of money through manipulation of others, while others achieve happiness by devoting tons of hours to various nonprofit projects, helping people where they get nothing back. However, I'm going to assume you're an average person, and then I believe that it comes down to mindset, along with your goals. I know some of my peers who call school "stupid, useless, and a waste of their time." In that case, maybe doing all of this work to get into a hard college isn't the best path for you. However, for those with a different mindset, you may find that it could be a great path for you, where you're constantly challenging yourself and pushing yourself beyond your own boundaries in order to cause yourself to grow (we were just discussing this, as you probably saw).

So yeah, it's up to you. For some, it works well, others not so much. It all depends on what happiness means to you (money? a good job? healthy family? adventurous life?) and your mindset. For me, as I said earlier, I like this "pushing myself" mindset that comes with doing a lot of what is expected of us students these days in order to help myself grow. Am I some perfect student who has never failed when trying to be this person? No, actually QUITE the opposite. But, although I've had some failure, I've certainly had some successes, too. It's all part of pushing myself.

The main thing you can do, no matter what position you're in, to make your days a little better, is just look at things in a positive life. Don't ever talk down to yourself (even when joking), try to put others down, or be a pessimist. (It can certainly be hard sometimes.) That only equates to you being less happy in your own life.
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
JoeyC

Post by JoeyC »

I don't know about getting happy about amassing giant amounts of money through manipulation of others; money itself doesn't appease, or a lot of people we know, both in person and in popular culture would be much happier. (also manipulating others will come back to bite them in one way or another).

On top of that, to debunk a popular myth (not directly mentioned or even implied by anyone here), neither will a girl/boyfriend. It's a relationship that requires much investment to work properly, not something that will "complete" someone.

A basic summary of Pepperonipi's monologue: Do what you love.
And as a side note by me: (or find and commit heavily to God - or whatever deity or noble cause you believe in)

One thing I respectfully disagree with in the above monologue is that it's okay to pessimistic. Sometimes we have rough days or just aren't up for another Monday. But if you commit to what you love, things will soon turn upwards (so long as what you're pursuing isn't something like money or status).
twig
Division: B
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by twig »

sigh
i've been sick for over a month (according to my parents, I had pneumonia and bronchitis) imo I had very bad coughing. I was practically having a coughing fit at jt tbh every 5 seconds and then accidentally infected my partners. I have been studying as much as I possibly can without my parents forcing me to go to sleep and i've been getting trash headaches for four days in a row, (Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues)

Should I take a break?
I mean neither of my partners are even working as hard as they should be working on the events with me. I have so much to do for the team (writing tests, giving motivation and support, and learning) and try to persuade all of our teammates that we'll be just as good next year despite the fact that two-three of the most op people on our team are leaving us for the hs team. They are scared, but i don't think they realize that i'm carrying them cause they've never seen what happens in the room that i'm in...

sorry, i'm just a really indecisive person. I fear that if I do something wrong or do nothing, it's my fault for that happening. There is nothing that I can do to change what has happened in the past sigh
i feel like crying rn
I'm also very concerned for my friends in irl (not the ones from scioly). One of them is anorexic and one of them isn't there anymore. i can't accept this change of people that i really care about.
Oops I put it in the wrong words, my bad. My friend is getting sick and doesn't want to be near us. It's not drama though...
Last edited by twig on February 26th, 2020, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
2021 events: Fossils, DP, Meteo, Orni
2018-2021: Non-proud member of DMSO
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
A very non-intelligent crackhead during competition
JoeyC

Post by JoeyC »

You should definitely take a break. Your immune system isn’t going to recover if you don’t, and the headaches show that your body is being pushed too far.

The greatest failure of the saying “hard work and perseverance will let you achieve your goals” is that (in some cases) it can’t.

This is one of those circumstances where it can’t. To ensure your whole team succeeds, no one person working more or less alone can do so - no matter how hard they try. No one person is responsible for the actions of others on their team because they never have complete control over them - they’re people.

The best way to help your team would probably be to show them how much work you’ve put in - by trying to motivate them to study, not by doing it for them.

On the other hand, I’m very sorry to hear about what has happened with your friends. I’ll pray about that.
twig
Division: B
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by twig »

On second note, I talked to two team members today and they're worried again...
We were talking about OP people on our team and how they're going to be leaving next year.
We also talked about the one member of our state team that we dislike a lot. We all really hate this one member of our team that's going to be on the state team cause he literally keeps insulting all of us. When I used to do Mission Possible he was like "your mission possible is bad" but then he didn't even build his own, his dad did and now I have a better sense of physics and am motivated enough to drive myself to doing physics events next year.

No matter how many times they apologize, I just wish I had better partners who will have the right motivation for this. My coaches kinda don't realize that I'm putting in more effort than they are. But, Thank you, scioly people (especially my mentors), for helping me in the areas that I REALLY SUCK at in my events though. (some on discord and some on here) I really appreciate it! Thank you guys for helping me regain my motivation too! I kinda feel more prepared for state, just you guys don't pressure me to get first in all of my events (although it certainly is possible).

Yeah, I don't think my partners really know me either...
a couple weeks ago, i was talking to my fossils/dp partner about something about my age, then he was like "you're not fourteen yet?"
my birthday was the day that i told him that it wasn't my birthday because I didn't want to get wished happy birthday anymore cause i had been wished it over 50 times that day and it got really annoying.
2021 events: Fossils, DP, Meteo, Orni
2018-2021: Non-proud member of DMSO
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
A very non-intelligent crackhead during competition
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by EwwPhysics »

twig wrote: February 26th, 2020, 10:14 pm On second note, I talked to two team members today and they're worried again...
We were talking about OP people on our team and how they're going to be leaving next year.
We also talked about the one member of our state team that we dislike a lot. We all really hate this one member of our team that's going to be on the state team cause he literally keeps insulting all of us. When I used to do Mission Possible he was like "your mission possible is bad" but then he didn't even build his own, his dad did and now I have a better sense of physics and am motivated enough to drive myself to doing physics events next year.
Last year, out team had a bunch of amazing 8th graders that got us to 3rd at states. We were insanely worried for this year as not a single one of them came back as 9th graders, and we only had 3 good [current] 7th graders (which is why they kept bugging me to join scioly until I did). However, we haven't been doing extremely poorly this year. Maybe we're not quite what we were last year, but we'll still (probably...) be top 5 at states - our performance hasn't dropped drastically. Don't worry about doing a lot worse next year, you'll be great :D
As for the rude team member, it's his loss that he decided not to use scioly to work hard and learn a lot. It's great that you're using Mission for motivation for next year!
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
Blank25
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Post by Blank25 »

I really hate when coaches don't know tf how to do anything and when u and ur partner don't have partner chemistry/synergy bc the coaches are incompetent at choosing partners
2020 Events: Astronomy, Ornithology, Water Quality, Protein Modeling
2019 Events: Fermi, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible
2018 Events: Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Towers, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Parasitology
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Hovercraft, Towers, Astronomy
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

Blank25 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 10:10 am I really hate when coaches don't know tf how to do anything and when u and ur partner don't have partner chemistry/synergy bc the coaches are incompetent at choosing partners
you should push for student leadership. Right now, our group of 5 captains assign all the events and stuff.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MI

Post by AlfWeg »

CookiePie1 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 10:12 am
Blank25 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 10:10 am I really hate when coaches don't know tf how to do anything and when u and ur partner don't have partner chemistry/synergy bc the coaches are incompetent at choosing partners
you should push for student leadership. Right now, our group of 5 captains assign all the events and stuff.
*doesnt mention the drama*
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage

Return to “General Chat”