Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Post by Kokonilly » August 15th, 2013, 5:42 pm

I have to give a lab meeting on Tuesdaythe first of many, hopefully/probably, meaning I'm going to be telling a lot of people who are much more experienced than I am about what I've been doing and they'll be able to pepper me with questions that I probably won't be able to answer and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh

(and then I have to make a poster to present at a symposium and answer a whole lot of other people's questions and it'll be even harder because they have less background knowledge about the general topic and aaaaaaaaaaaahhh)

what is science you guys

what have I been doing since April

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 » August 15th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Well, Kansas does a lot of things differently. Policy is the only thing that we do in the fall, and forensics (with Congress and PFD) runs in the spring. There's a different view on those two types of debate too; pretty much everyone does Congress and PFD (which we call a variety of things- puff daddy, for one) is not very prevalent and generally mocked.

Debate/Forensics don't really take up a lot of time here (well, policy does if you really want to be in the top tier). The last two years, the coaches pretty much let me work on my own because they figured I'd get good results anyway (or crash and burn and come back to them for help >.>) It still took up work and all of my free Saturdays, but I guess I was lucky. I was also fortunate to have some good partners in both debate and SO, so I didn't have to do everything myself.
Crazy Puny Man wrote:Z, since when is Congress Policy's cooler older brother? I'm pretty sure Policy was the first form of debate before the others caught on
Congresses have been around a long time. Don't know about the high school activity, though. If you'd rather, think of it as policy's cooler younger brother.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man » August 15th, 2013, 7:35 pm

zyzzyva98 wrote:Well, Kansas does a lot of things differently. Policy is the only thing that we do in the fall, and forensics (with Congress and PFD) runs in the spring. There's a different view on those two types of debate too; pretty much everyone does Congress and PFD (which we call a variety of things- puff daddy, for one) is not very prevalent and generally mocked.

Debate/Forensics don't really take up a lot of time here (well, policy does if you really want to be in the top tier). The last two years, the coaches pretty much let me work on my own because they figured I'd get good results anyway (or crash and burn and come back to them for help >.>) It still took up work and all of my free Saturdays, but I guess I was lucky. I was also fortunate to have some good partners in both debate and SO, so I didn't have to do everything myself.
Crazy Puny Man wrote:Z, since when is Congress Policy's cooler older brother? I'm pretty sure Policy was the first form of debate before the others caught on
Congresses have been around a long time. Don't know about the high school activity, though. If you'd rather, think of it as policy's cooler younger brother.
Funny. PFD is the most popular event here, alongside LD. Policy doesn't have much at all. Congress has...a few kids. Can't remember. But to qualify for nationals here you have to be really, really good. Congress is probably the easiest to qualify in (you still have to be really good though), with PFD, LD, & Policy next in line. I mean, my friends who were 5th at districts got to go to nationals because everyone else above them didn't go. They got 16th :o (they did PF)

Eh...for PF, I think I had to do most of the case preparation/research myself (my partner wasn't too good at that :/). For both sides. I would go over all that I found with him before we went into the tournament, and he was good at taking my research and debunking our opponents' arguments with it. Problem was I did most of it (the research) myself

Partners in Congress?? What is this :shock: Unless you did a duo event in forensics?
Last edited by Crazy Puny Man on August 15th, 2013, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 » August 15th, 2013, 7:43 pm

*Policy debate. (When I say debate, I mean policy.)
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

geminicross
Division: C
State: GA

Post by geminicross » August 15th, 2013, 7:48 pm

I'm not sure how big Congress is here....but we're a strong PF school (which is what I'll be doing), we're also strong with the IE's (or we were last year).

aim4me26
State: CA

Post by aim4me26 » August 15th, 2013, 8:44 pm

yoooooooooooooooooooooo. check this out:
http://orteil.dashnet.org/experiments/cookie/
i know that i should be in bed
and its almost 3 am
but when i close my eyes i can only see miles of headlights
fleshing out the distance

kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Post by kentuckyfan1001 » August 15th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Crazy Puny Man wrote: But to qualify for nationals here you have to be really, really good. Congress is probably the easiest to qualify in (you still have to be really good though), with PFD, LD, & Policy next in line. I mean, my friends who were 5th at districts got to go to nationals because everyone else above them didn't go. They got 16th :o (they did PF)
Well, Indiana is about as strong as it gets, if you're talking about NFLs. The national tournament usually ends up being there once every few years, and it seems like has Indiana has a ton of good schools.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor

Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 » August 16th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Pixar's "Inside Out" will be an amazing movie.

Allinea
State: MN

Post by Allinea » August 16th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Cedavis6 wrote:Pixar's "Inside Out" will be an amazing movie.
It looks fairly interesting. Joy's eyes, however, bother me. I'll withhold further judgement until further down the production line. :)

One of my friends brought a mermaid tale to swim practice today, and there were pockets in the tail so she could wear fins with it.
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink » August 16th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Related, know anything about Planes (or, better yet, has anyone seen it?)? At face value, the concept reminds me of this.

EDIT: Interesting concept. It seems to be a more sophisticated version of this classic.
Last edited by Skink on August 16th, 2013, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chat”