bah
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2008 US Presidential Election Thread

Post by bah » August 29th, 2008, 3:39 pm

John McCain picks Sarah Palin, governor of Alaska, as his running mate.

ZekeBud
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by ZekeBud » August 29th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Admittedly, I could not have predicted McCain's choice. Having read Palin's name a total of once on a news website (on a "long list" prior to the more vocal speculation), I certainly didn't consider her until the pick this morning. I was rather surprised that Pawlenty wasn't the final choice. However, upon reading about Sarah Palin's views, I think McCain made the right choice. He managed to get a conservative (important to the base of his party) while still pushing the "Washington Outsider" idea. Her efforts to fix Alaska and limit pork-spending are very respectable.

I'm not at all convinced that Joe Biden represents a good choice for the Obama campaign. If he is preaching about Change, then Biden is certainly not the right candidate. A relatively party-constrained Washington-insider doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

And as for the "experience" issue that seems to be so important lately, I offer this: only one of the two tickets has someone with any realistic executive experience, and that would be the Republican one with Sarah Palin. I feel that running a state for two years (yes, even Alaska) offers vastly more credentials than being a senator for three years. That and McCain's lengthy tenure seem to add up to a ticket that holds my attention and (at this point) perhaps my vote.
Camden High School Science Olympiad 2005-2007
Clarkson University Class of 2011
The Ohio State University Chemical Engineering PhD Program
In Words and Phrases

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice » August 29th, 2008, 6:09 pm

I have to say, picking a woman for McCain was pretty smart. Now all of the Hillary supporters that are annoyed at Obama for taking the nomination from Hillary still have a woman they can put in the White House. Though if I was old enough, I'd still vote for Obama. Man, I hate politics.
Last edited by gneissisnice on August 30th, 2008, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado » August 29th, 2008, 9:32 pm

... seems like a good choice but you do have to question her experiance two years seems very short for a vice president
SO stressed!

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by rocketman1555 » August 31st, 2008, 4:01 pm

what about obama's short time in the senate, does that make him a bad choice for president?
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado » August 31st, 2008, 4:43 pm

not nessasarly but it does leave room to say that he's inexpirenced ;)
SO stressed!

ZekeBud
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by ZekeBud » August 31st, 2008, 8:04 pm

dudeincolorado wrote:not nessasarly but it does leave room to say that he's inexpirenced ;)
I daresay that Obama's experience in a leadership position is far far less than that of Palin. What Senate committees does he lead? How many bills has he sponsored? How many times has he just followed with the Democrat vote? These sorts of questions seem to reveal a newbie liberal follower and not some new force of change (as he claims to be).

At least Palin has individually taken action to work toward reform and goals in Alaska. Whether or not you agree with her actions, at least it is visible that she has taken executive action. I find it hard to envision most legislative members of government as individually powerful leaders, what with the whole voting thing often needed before action is taken.
Camden High School Science Olympiad 2005-2007
Clarkson University Class of 2011
The Ohio State University Chemical Engineering PhD Program
In Words and Phrases

aphoticruby

Post by aphoticruby » August 31st, 2008, 10:55 pm

rocketman1555 wrote:what about obama's short time in the senate, does that make him a bad choice for president?
There is a huge difference in the experience gained as part of the US senate and that gained as governor of a state the size of Charlotte, NC. Obama has a wide range and lengthy record of experience. This sets him apart from the relatively 2 dimensional McCain and the hardly even 1 dimensional Palin. near the top of the class in Harvard Law seems eminently more valuable than whatever (I searched an could not find an answer) degree John McCain barely managed to squeak into or a journalism an communications degree from the University of Idaho. Being held by the North Vietnamese isn't a job qualification. Obama has experience in a wide range of areas: from the world of academia, to the inner city, to the nation's capitol. McCain barely managed to pass college and then got himself captured, and Palin has a degree not even worth the paper that it is printed on and experience in such prominent positions as member of the Wasilla PTA. The fact that this discussion is even going on shows how out of touch with reality the voting populace is. I understand that most of you can't yet vote, but it is disheartening to see you parroting the lines of what I can only assume are your parents. C'mon people, grasp reality.

SiegeLord
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: MA

Post by SiegeLord » September 4th, 2008, 2:25 pm

Last edited by SiegeLord on September 4th, 2008, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forum Rules Violation. 30 min ban.
[wiki][/wiki] > [wiki][/wiki] > [wiki][/wiki] + [wiki][/wiki] = [wiki][/wiki]
Chat with the Cheese Captains! ~(O o)~

pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing » September 6th, 2008, 3:02 pm

I personally support Barack Obama. :D
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building

Return to “General Chat”