Guys vs. Girls

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
marissaguts
Division: C
State: NY

Guys vs. Girls

Postby marissaguts » March 13th, 2011, 8:18 pm

Why are there so Many more Guys than Girls! I am no feminist but i fail to see in the DNA cdes i have viewed where it says guys are smarter. This just proves how women are being over looked in the science and technological fields. :geek:

kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL

Re: Guys vs. Girls

Postby kjhsscioly » March 13th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Just on a similar topic, I found I was told by a proctor strange... The old man who ran wind power thanked me for competing when we left wind power, and said it was great that girls are interested in science now, because in his day, there weren't many girls who were :? I wasn't aware, from the statistics of my team, that science has few girls...

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Skink » March 13th, 2011, 9:19 pm

but i fail to see in the DNA cdes i have viewed
Mhm.

To answer your question, the difference is not intelligence (girls tend to do better academically) but societal roles, or what society expects of girls, is different. Guys to to college and grow up to do real work (science and math) while girls grow up to be moms and stay at home. Haha, that's the '50s for ya.

So, seriously, I found an interesting read here. It's recent (6mo ago=recent) and not too technical. The beef I got with the article is that there are plenty of role models for girls in high school (they say there aren't) because most teachers still are women, even science teachers, though I don't have any stats handy to back me up here. :?

chia

Postby chia » March 13th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Just on a similar topic, I found I was told by a proctor strange... The old man who ran wind power thanked me for competing when we left wind power, and said it was great that girls are interested in science now, because in his day, there weren't many girls who were :? I wasn't aware, from the statistics of my team, that science has few girls...
And our junior high team was almost entirely girls one year. Our regionals Microbe Missions supervisor (some Asian lady) also told our room "Wow, so many girls are in this room! Almost no boys! It's so good that girls are interested..."
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

EpicFailOlympian
State: MO

Postby EpicFailOlympian » March 13th, 2011, 9:50 pm

By no mean stereotypical, but it seems there more boy nerds than girl ones..
20:05~<EpicFailOlympian> On this day, in the third age of man, EpicFailOlympian has posted. Let there be rejoicing in the streets and cake for all.

<roboefo> (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<robobear> well u know what efo, the table's angry
<robobear> ┬─┬ ︵ /(.□. \)I am 97th Assassinator

aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Postby aubrey048 » March 14th, 2011, 8:02 am

By no mean stereotypical, but it seems there more boy nerds than girl ones..

I'm a girl nerd, and a pretty big advocate of female involvement in math and science. I think that the reason why girls shy away from these fields is deeply based in societal roles (i.e the view that these are "guy things"). Also I don't think parents really encourage girls to be inquisitive, a big "scientist quality." But I think society is changing, and girls are getting more confident in having traditionally unconventional interests. I was a part of a well-known science internship program last summer, and 6/9 of the kids who got accepted were girls. Also, Anatomy was a pretty girl-heavy event. Probably 80% of the competitors were girls, along with the proctor and her assistants.

Looking at the following links, I begin to understand how nurture, not nature, determines who becomes a "girl nerd" and who does not. My parents really encouraged me to be curious, adventurous, and not afraid to ask questions. These are quintessential scientist qualities in my opinion, and thanks partially to my upbringing I have a huge passion for science! :D

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 153807.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 143002.htm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Jan31.html
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).

Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Postby Cheesy Pie » March 14th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Heck! Girls are awesome! I'm a girl, and I understand some quantum physics (and neither of my parents work at FermuLab :cry: )
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby gneissisnice » March 15th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Through the years, our team was mostly equal I'd say. When I was in 10th and 11th, I think we had more boys than girls, but after that it was either equal or we had a few more girls.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Press_Tilty
State: WA

Postby Press_Tilty » March 15th, 2011, 6:18 pm

Last year, our C team had three guys...out of 15.

There isn't really a difference, but they have a point. In the past century, girls haven't really been involved in science. So, yes it's good more girls are getting involved. They aren't trying to be condescending.

Infinity Flat
State: WA

Postby Infinity Flat » March 15th, 2011, 7:16 pm

Our black team this year only has 4 girls, which always surprises me. :P
Another thing weird with our club is that there appears to be an alternation of generations thing going on- every year we swap between a really strong incoming freshman class and a really weak one. Our club is almost entirely seniors and sophomores with almost no juniors or freshman. The middle schools have a lot of really strong 8th graders, so it seems like this pattern is going to continue.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Return to “General Chat”