Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
mingtian
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

School Grade Splits

Post by mingtian » May 26th, 2011, 4:25 pm

foreverphysics wrote:THEY CALLED OUR TEAM AUBURN MIDDLE SCHOOL. For all the officials, we're AUBURN JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL. Thank you for listening.
It's kinda the same thing. Don't they encompass grades 6-8?

foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL

Re: Parade Of States, Celebrations, and Parties

Post by foreverphysics » May 26th, 2011, 6:15 pm

Um, no, it's not the same thing. For one thing, Auburn Junior High School is grades eighth and ninth, and the other school for sixth and seventh graders is Drake Middle School. Which means that calling us "Auburn Middle School" is calling us a nonexistent school. Because other than our one private school, we have no school that encompasses sixth through ninth grade. So no, not the same. Would it be the same in your state? By the way, you're Chinese? Cool. So am I. In fact, I'm going back to China over the summer..YES!!!
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

mingtian

Post by mingtian » May 26th, 2011, 7:38 pm

foreverphysics wrote:Um, no, it's not the same thing. For one thing, Auburn Junior High School is grades eighth and ninth, and the other school for sixth and seventh graders is Drake Middle School. Which means that calling us "Auburn Middle School" is calling us a nonexistent school. Because other than our one private school, we have no school that encompasses sixth through ninth grade. So no, not the same. Would it be the same in your state? By the way, you're Chinese? Cool. So am I. In fact, I'm going back to China over the summer..YES!!!
I was, but now I'm not. :cry: Oh well, I go to a public school and I have never heard of a Junior High. Are you only allowed 5 9th graders or is that different?

foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics » May 26th, 2011, 10:12 pm

I go to public school too...our private school doesn't have a Science Olympiad team. Yeah, we're still only allowed five ninth graders. That doesn't change no matter what school you go to. Besides, our city's school names are all wacked up. Normal Speak: 1st through 6th= elementary. 7th and eighth= middle school. 9th through 12th=high school. In Auburn Speak: 1st through 5th=elementary. 6th and seventh: middle. 8th and 9th: junior high school. 10th through 12th=high school. In a few more years, it will be even more wacked up because the school system is redoing a lot of stuff.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly » May 26th, 2011, 11:03 pm

foreverphysics wrote:I go to public school too...our private school doesn't have a Science Olympiad team. Yeah, we're still only allowed five ninth graders. That doesn't change no matter what school you go to. Besides, our city's school names are all wacked up. Normal Speak: 1st through 6th= elementary. 7th and eighth= middle school. 9th through 12th=high school. In Auburn Speak: 1st through 5th=elementary. 6th and seventh: middle. 8th and 9th: junior high school. 10th through 12th=high school. In a few more years, it will be even more wacked up because the school system is redoing a lot of stuff.
Actually, 'normal' (from my experience) would be 1-5: elementary, 6-8: middle/junior high, and 9-12: high. But yes, that is an interesting way of naming it.

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine » May 27th, 2011, 7:42 am

Kokonilly wrote:
foreverphysics wrote:I go to public school too...our private school doesn't have a Science Olympiad team. Yeah, we're still only allowed five ninth graders. That doesn't change no matter what school you go to. Besides, our city's school names are all wacked up. Normal Speak: 1st through 6th= elementary. 7th and eighth= middle school. 9th through 12th=high school. In Auburn Speak: 1st through 5th=elementary. 6th and seventh: middle. 8th and 9th: junior high school. 10th through 12th=high school. In a few more years, it will be even more wacked up because the school system is redoing a lot of stuff.
Actually, 'normal' (from my experience) would be 1-5: elementary, 6-8: middle/junior high, and 9-12: high. But yes, that is an interesting way of naming it.
My district is on what was apparently the "usual" system a few decades ago: 1-6 elementary, 7-9 junior high, 10-12 high school. We're one of three schools in New York on this system, apparently. It's a little inconvenient, mainly because we don't match everyone else.

My impression had always been that a 6-8 school is a "middle school", and a 7-9 school is a "junior high". But maybe I just got that impression because ours are 7-9 and we call them junior highs, and all the surrounding districts have 6-8 and call them middle schools.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

mingtian

Post by mingtian » May 27th, 2011, 10:12 am

Phenylethylamine wrote:
Kokonilly wrote:
My district is on what was apparently the "usual" system a few decades ago: 1-6 elementary, 7-9 junior high, 10-12 high school. We're one of three schools in New York on this system, apparently. It's a little inconvenient, mainly because we don't match everyone else.

My impression had always been that a 6-8 school is a "middle school", and a 7-9 school is a "junior high". But maybe I just got that impression because ours are 7-9 and we call them junior highs, and all the surrounding districts have 6-8 and call them middle schools.
We're 1-5, 6-8, 9-12

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine » May 27th, 2011, 11:40 am

mingtian wrote:We're 1-5, 6-8, 9-12
I think that's the most common these days, at least in most places.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy » May 27th, 2011, 12:33 pm

mingtian wrote:We're 1-5, 6-8, 9-12
we used to be like that, but last year we switched (which i dont like, but somehow by doing it we saved a ton of money) to the 1-6, 7-8, 9-12.

fmtiger124
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 » May 27th, 2011, 1:15 pm

Why would you have only two grades in one school? Having both a middle school and a junior high school is relatively unheard of to my knowledge...which is why most of us would call junior high and middle school the same thing (just an observation...if it includes 9th grade it seems to be called junior high, otherwise it's called middle school). Here, 1-4 = elementary, 5-8 = middle and 9-12 = high school.

Return to “General Chat”