SAT Scores?

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
genes_girl
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: SAT Scores?

Post by genes_girl »

eak227 wrote:Yeah I took it in 7th and 8th grade through the Northwestern (I think) Talent search thing. That was back on the 1600 scale though, and then they changed it by the time I took it for real. But back then I got a 1090 and 1190 I believe.
MIDwestern talent search, but you were very close. I did the same in 8th grade. I don't remember my score, but I do know that it wasn't that good.
Indiana University 2012
-- Bio and Spanish Majors

University of Chicago
-- PhD track Molecular Biosciences: Human Genetics
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

You can take them any time you want, no matter where you live. You just go to www.collegeboard.com and sign up.

But I would not recommend taking them that early. You're not going to be very successful, as you haven't learned the content or technique necessary to take the test.

However, I'd take them in your sophomore year if you're ready. If you're in accelerated or honors math, you'll definitely have covered all of the math that will be on the test. And by then your English and writing skills should be at a decent level.

I took them once as a sophomore and I did alright, then I took them twice as a junior and I'm happy with my score. Now I don't have to even worry about them as a senior, which is nice, because between college applications, scholarships, and Science O, I've got my hands more than full.
Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath »

Did anybody take it today? I did for my second time.
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

no i'm taking it next month. how did you do?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
sciolykid101
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

We didn't have Talent Search at my middle school. What are all of your experiences when taking the SAT?
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image
eak227
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by eak227 »

That it's long and mind-numbingly boring? Like every other standardized test. Can you have any other experience? At least the writing is first so you get the most miserable part out of the way first.

I will be so jealous of the kids in the future in like 20 years when the SAT is done online and you type the essay. That would make the test way better.
Ethan K
Valparaiso, Indiana SO Alumnus
Ben Franklin MS
Valparaiso HS
Harvard University 2012

Nationals: OSU '03, Juniata '04, Wichita State '07, George Washington '08 -- Team place: 22, 18, 11, 11
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I took the SAT when the only computational aid permitted was a non-graphing abacus, the writing section was in Vulgate Latin or Classical Greek (in whichever you were less proficient), scores were released in Roman Numerals (I got a MDC), and they graded your calligraphy and margin illustrations of sacred icons.

True Story.
The Evangelist Matthew Inspired by an Angel (1661) by Rembrandt van Rijn
Oil on canvas, 96 x 81 cm, Louvre
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

typed? oh no MAVIS BEACON SAVE ME!!!!!

:o i hope i cant get a MDC but i settle for MCC or up ;)
SO stressed!
gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by gh »

I had a pretty bad experience the second time I took the SAT. For "test prep," I had 6 hours of sleep and a 24 oz. can of Bawls caffeinated drink. Once the copious amounts of caffeine kicked in, I basically "rushed" every part of the exam, finished much too early, and was driven to recheck everything. I ended up doing almost every question three times. I mean, it worked, with the exception of the essay (got a 8), and the fact that I was so tired I fell asleep on my desk after the last section. Somebody stole my watch during that interval, so I got a much nicer new watch recently.

True story.
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 »

That reminds me of the bad experience I had when I took the SAT the second time. When you take it as a 7th or 8th grader they put you in a specific town, not the one you put down, no matter how early you register for it. As a seventh grader it was at my HS, which is really good because it was close. As an eight grader it was at Uniondale. Uniondale was a really rundown bad neighborhood compared to the town that I live in.

My experience:
First to get into the school we had to pass though metal detectors and security guards, which was kinda scary.
So later, I was in the testing room, and we were reading the directions before we actually started the real test. I see these girls in the row to the right of me were looking at the direction of my feet. I was thinking, "what could it possibly be". I look down to see my shoe right next to a DEAD RAT. I jumped out of my chair and started screaming like the little girl I am (figuratively) and ran to the back of the room, screaming. It was really scary for me, since i'm not a big fan of bugs or rodents. The proctor took in the whole situation like it happend everyday to him. He actually started joking around and saying "what do you think ure doing, there are no pets allowed in the testing room". From that day on i vowed to NEVER EVER EVER take the SAT anyware other they my HS. I was in a lot of shock after that, which if u think about it, could have affected my scores.

And btw this is a true story i swear.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

Return to “General Chat”