Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
2000lby
Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2012-2013 Class Schedules?

Post by 2000lby » June 28th, 2012, 9:44 am

Our school is huge...we have AP classes for everything except Chinese, Music Theory and Italian :shock:
History classes seem to vary alot...our school does World History freshman year, Euro sophomore year, US junior year and Government/Econ senior year...
SciOly alum 2010-2013

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
-Charles Darwin

tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » June 28th, 2012, 10:17 am

2000lby wrote:our school does World History freshman year, Euro sophomore year, US junior year and Government/Econ senior year...
Same
peter, peter, peter

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly » June 28th, 2012, 11:19 am

2000lby wrote:Just curious, but does multivariable calc in your schools have curriculums?
The Multi class at my high school does. We've (they've? graduation makes pronouns awkward) had Multi for something like four of the last five years.

chia
State: IL

Post by chia » June 28th, 2012, 11:52 am

2000lby wrote:Just curious, but does multivariable calc in your schools have curriculums?
Yep, but I don't know what it's like... we've had the class for a long time, though.
rkoopma2 wrote:How many AP classes do your schools have? We only have 7 and its impossible to take more than 5 a year due to scheduling
We've got everything but Human Geo, Comparative Gov, and a few of the languages, and Physics B is new for next year. There are a couple of conficts between some of the classes but not too many... 5 or 6 per year is the max for any sane student anyway :P (Though technically I'm taking 7 tests if you count Macro and Micro and both Physics C tests separately...)
2000lby wrote:History classes seem to vary alot...our school does World History freshman year, Euro sophomore year, US junior year and Government/Econ senior year...
Huh, our school considers Euro more higher level (mostly seniors take it), and Gov is an almost purely sophomore class. The other classes are the same for us, though. -shrug-

Can AP science classes be taken by sophomores at your schools? There's always a couple of sophomores in AP Chem for us, since we take chem freshman year and bio sophomore, but that's pretty much it.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 » June 28th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Eighth Grade

Technology/Art/Home and Careers
Science Research ll
Integrated Algebra Honors (aka Algebra l)
Physical Education
Lunch (obviously)
History Honors
Spanish A Honors
English Honors
Science Lab
Earth Science Honors
Band

It may change, so this isn't permanent.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

LCovington
Division: C
State: FL

Post by LCovington » June 28th, 2012, 8:26 pm

silverheart7 wrote:Eighth Grade

Science Research ll
Physical Education
Lunch (obviously)
History Honors
Spanish A Honors
English Honors
Science Lab
Earth Science Honors
Band

That's a lot of class.

fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog » June 28th, 2012, 8:32 pm

LCovington wrote:
silverheart7 wrote:Eighth Grade

Science Research ll
Physical Education
Lunch (obviously)
History Honors
Spanish A Honors
English Honors
Science Lab
Earth Science Honors
Band

That's a lot of class.
Yea, I don't get how everyone can take SO MANY CLASSES!? How do you have time in the day at school?
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality

mintyfrash
State: FL

Post by mintyfrash » June 28th, 2012, 10:33 pm

rkoopma2 wrote: How many AP classes do your schools have? We only have 7 and its impossible to take more than 5 a year due to scheduling
We have all of them except for most of the languages, but our school is pretty big (3000+ students). Many of our AP classes aren't taught by very experienced teachers though.
chia wrote: Can AP science classes be taken by sophomores at your schools? There's always a couple of sophomores in AP Chem for us, since we take chem freshman year and bio sophomore, but that's pretty much it.
At our school sophomores normally take AP Bio, but a few sophomores and I took Chem honors the summer after freshman year and did AP Chem during sophomore year as well. The science curriculum for our school, as of now, is:
9th - AP Environmental and AICE Marine Science
10th - AP and AICE BIo
11th - AP and AICE Chem
12th - AP Physics

2000lby
State: IN

Post by 2000lby » June 29th, 2012, 7:38 am

mintyfrash wrote:
chia wrote: Can AP science classes be taken by sophomores at your schools? There's always a couple of sophomores in AP Chem for us, since we take chem freshman year and bio sophomore, but that's pretty much it.
At our school sophomores normally take AP Bio, but a few sophomores and I took Chem honors the summer after freshman year and did AP Chem during sophomore year as well. The science curriculum for our school, as of now, is:
9th - AP Environmental and AICE Marine Science
10th - AP and AICE BIo
11th - AP and AICE Chem
12th - AP Physics
Our state standards say we have to take a biology course freshman year and chemistry course sophomore year...but the rest of our science APs are all electives I guess. But a lot of them have prerequisites so they're restrictive at times...Physics B is a prereq for Physics C and (Honors) Chemistry 1 is a prereq for AP Chemistry...But then there are more reasonable prereqs like Algerbra2 for Physics B.
Occasionally we have people try to take higher leveled courses without prereqs, but our science department isn't as lenient on that as our math department (sophomores in multivariable >_>)...
Our summer school is mainly for credit recovery and stuff like that...AP macro is offered for people who want to free up a semester though (econ is one of our diploma reqs)
SciOly alum 2010-2013

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
-Charles Darwin

rkoopma2
State: MI

Post by rkoopma2 » June 29th, 2012, 7:57 am

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:
2000lby wrote:our school does World History freshman year, Euro sophomore year, US junior year and Government/Econ senior year...
Same
we have economics and current events freshman year, US history sophomore year, world history and government junior year, and AP Gov or AP History senior year (optional).
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Chat”