Question for the Storm the Castle buffs :)

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
jlee7x2
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Question for the Storm the Castle buffs :)

Post by jlee7x2 » May 31st, 2013, 12:00 am

Hi, congratulations on the improvement! :D To prevent misalignment problems, I suggest using a sort of convex on concave (or vice versa) guide system to keep things aligned. The ball bearings on aluminum rod attached the the arm fulcrum is an idea I used as well. Also, to improve your distance, there are a lot of energy loss considerations to be ... considered. :P

@iwonder - how heavy is your arm!? That thing is hollow, right? Overall, a very aesthetically pleasing design :)
merp.

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by iwonder » May 31st, 2013, 4:14 am

I haven't weighed the arm, but it's fairly light. It's made of hollow square tube with aluminum shafts on it. And thanks!
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

jlee7x2

Post by jlee7x2 » May 31st, 2013, 8:03 pm

Seeing as you're building a treb, is it just for fun or do you think Storm the Castle will make a repeat appearance next year in Texas?
merp.

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by iwonder » May 31st, 2013, 8:13 pm

Oh, this is entirely just for fun. Originally it was for Storm the Castle but got caught up in a time crunch with gravity vehicle and it didn't get done. Which would explain our really bad StC performance at states :D
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

erikb
State: CO

Post by erikb » May 31st, 2013, 10:50 pm

jlee7x2 wrote:Hi, congratulations on the improvement! :D To prevent misalignment problems, I suggest using a sort of convex on concave (or vice versa) guide system to keep things aligned. The ball bearings on aluminum rod attached the the arm fulcrum is an idea I used as well. Also, to improve your distance, there are a lot of energy loss considerations to be ... considered. :P

@iwonder - how heavy is your arm!? That thing is hollow, right? Overall, a very aesthetically pleasing design :)
You want a little friction as you can get. So instead of guide system that will add more contact to the sling, make sure the weight falls in the same path every time and the arm starts from the same point and swings in an arc perpendicular to the floor. That will put the object in the same place consistently.
--
Poudre High School, Fort Collins CO.

jlee7x2

Post by jlee7x2 » June 1st, 2013, 8:16 am

erikb wrote:
jlee7x2 wrote:Hi, congratulations on the improvement! :D To prevent misalignment problems, I suggest using a sort of convex on concave (or vice versa) guide system to keep things aligned. The ball bearings on aluminum rod attached the the arm fulcrum is an idea I used as well. Also, to improve your distance, there are a lot of energy loss considerations to be ... considered. :P

You want a little friction as you can get. So instead of guide system that will add more contact to the sling, make sure the weight falls in the same path every time and the arm starts from the same point and swings in an arc perpendicular to the floor. That will put the object in the same place consistently.
The guide system I was referring to was for the ball bearing axle fulcrum system :P

However, I agree with you 100%. The more consistent and replicable your runs, the more successful you will be in this event.
merp.

erikb
State: CO

Post by erikb » June 2nd, 2013, 9:24 pm

jlee7x2 wrote:
The guide system I was referring to was for the ball bearing axle fulcrum system :P

However, I agree with you 100%. The more consistent and replicable your runs, the more successful you will be in this event.
Ok, I thought you were talking about the things people use for the sling, they are not needed
--
Poudre High School, Fort Collins CO.

Return to “General Chat”