Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Newsgathering

Postby zyzzyva980 » July 13th, 2013, 8:39 pm

I realized in the last week that, unlike a lot of other larger forums, we don't really have a place for people to discuss current events. We've got YDRC, but that is also filled with lots of other things that aren't current events. (Lots of things. Lots.)

According to one survey, 60% of teenagers pay little or no attention to the news at all these days. That would mean approximately 10,000 of you registered users don't really know what's going on in the world around you. Now's your chance to learn!

I'll post whatever's newsworthy every once in a while to stimulate discussion (and you should, too, if you find something interesting). If nothing else, hopefully this will bring a little current events knowledge to those who don't follow the news closely, and provide an appropriate forum for those wishing to discuss the news with other sciolyers.

Some stuff that happened this week that you should probably be aware of:
It was a bad week for planes, trains, and automobiles: An airplane crashed in San Francisco, killing three people, one of several air travel accidents over the week. A train exploded in Quebec- not the only rail accident this week, either- and as my friend and I were driving back from DCI Warrensburg on Thursday, his car broke down at 1 in the morning off the highway. That's a story for another time.

Edward Snowden is still in Russia: The NSA leaker, has, however, been offered asylum in four or five countries- if he can get to them. It's a fascinating developing story that you should keep your eye on.

Fear the Sharknado! The SyFy TV movie about... a shark... tornado... has already become a cult classic. Watch it for yourself and try to figure out where it falls on the xkcd curve for bad movies

Also, George Zimmerman was found not guilty in an emotionally-charged case that we've already heard far too much about and will continue to hear far too much about for the next few weeks. But the Skype trial-bombing was hilarious.

This thread has absolutely not nothing to do with me being a journalism major.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Re: Newsgathering

Postby Kokonilly » July 14th, 2013, 12:12 pm

An airplane crashed in San Francisco, killing three people, one of several air travel accidents over the week.
Sorry to focus on only one bit of that otherwise impressively succinct summary of current/recent events, but the most shocking part (to me) is that the plane was an Asiana Airlines Boeing 777. Not only is Asiana a very, very good airline, the Boeing 777, being a jumbo jet, is also incredibly safe. I am fairly certain that I have flown on an Asiana 777, and I am 100% certain that I have flown from Seoul (ICN) to San Francisco (SFO) (albeit on Korean Air, so I don't think it was a connection from Shanghai). I also had friends waylaid coming back from China and Hong Kong due to the plane crash (one had to spend the night with us; another's flight from Tokyo (NRT) got cancelled and he had to book a hotel in Tokyo for the night). I am anxiously waiting the public report determining what the cause exactly was, mostly because this is all quite real to me. Honestly, though, I think it was just an accident. Which happens sometimes. I'm glad terrorism was ruled out, at least; I don't think anyone really suspected terrorism, though, because Korea doesn't really have a reputation for it, nor does it really have any quarrel with us - plus, if it was terrorism, something would have happened long before like 9 seconds before touchdown.

Also, this is a very good reminder of - somewhat oddly - just how safe air travel is. There are car crashes that happen thousands of times a day, and many of them kill more than three people, and they don't make the front page of CNN. It's just that when air accidents happen, they tend to happen rather disastrously.

Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Postby Crazy Puny Man » July 14th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Dam. That trial.

The defense sure did a good job of limiting the ground on which the prosecution could attack. From what I gather, they strictly narrowed the argument to the bare, raw question: did he act out of self-defense beyond reasonable doubt?

Indeed, Trayvon's death was a tragedy. Indeed, it's something that should not be done (I'm not quite ready to call the act despicable because of the still-uncertain circumstances surrounding the murder-that is, if Trayvon ambushed Zimmerman first, Zimmerman still shouldn't have killed him like that). But that's not what the trial was addressing. :?

Does anyone believe Zimmerman's claims for self-defense?

caseyotis
Division: C
State: NY

Postby caseyotis » July 14th, 2013, 7:30 pm

I think if he wasn't charged for second-degree murder to begin with, then he would have at least gotten something. They should have prosecuted him for manslaughter. Even if it was racially charged, it's very difficult to prove that.

I think this just goes to show that racism is still rampant and that American courts are very flawed, biased, and corrupt. Well, everything in America is corrupt. Almost.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

mrburrito
Division: B
State: TN

Postby mrburrito » July 15th, 2013, 10:00 am

I think this just goes to show that racism is still rampant and that American courts are very flawed, biased, and corrupt. Well, everything in America is corrupt. Almost.
I for one would like to thank our government overlords for giving us the freedom to talk about this. I personally think this is a case of second degree murder. Charging him with manslalughter wouldn't be fair to Zimmerman, that would just doom him to a life sentence.(Or something close to life)
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito

geminicross
State: GA

Postby geminicross » July 16th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Dam. That trial.

The defense sure did a good job of limiting the ground on which the prosecution could attack. From what I gather, they strictly narrowed the argument to the bare, raw question: did he act out of self-defense beyond reasonable doubt?

Indeed, Trayvon's death was a tragedy. Indeed, it's something that should not be done (I'm not quite ready to call the act despicable because of the still-uncertain circumstances surrounding the murder-that is, if Trayvon ambushed Zimmerman first, Zimmerman still shouldn't have killed him like that). But that's not what the trial was addressing. :?

Does anyone believe Zimmerman's claims for self-defense?
I agree with you 100%. I do think the charges were a bit much for what he did... I wish he would get some time though (5 years)
I mean, everything that happened BEFORE the fight was 100% Zimmerman's fault.
The issue is, what exactly transpired during the fight.
I think SYG is just messed up, and needs to be reorganized so that you can''t just shoot someone after losing a fight that you started.

And I really didn't care for the pompous attitudes of the defense lawyers. Don West's jokes, and his daughter's instagram post was insensitive and uncalled for. While O'Mara's insinuating that Zimmerman was innocent (INNOCENT...not just "lacking guilt") was insensitive and arrogant. I loved how Whoopie Goldberg tore him up over if Zimmerman racially profiled Trayvon, and O'Mara admitted that it "was a factor".

This is just really sad. I hope both families can find solace. But this is just...a miscarriage of justice. (and above all things, Zimmerman gets his gun back)

Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Postby Crazy Puny Man » July 16th, 2013, 3:47 pm

I mean, everything that happened BEFORE the fight was 100% Zimmerman's fault.
Exactly! Ergh... :x

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby Kokonilly » July 16th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Well, everything in America is corrupt. Almost.
I for one would like to thank our government overlords for giving us the freedom to talk about this.
Well now, that's stretching it a bit, don't you think?
(and above all things, Zimmerman gets his gun back)
He's going to need it - this is basically Casey Anthony, part 2 (even from the same state - oh, Florida, how you cause problems). The media gets over-involved in a legal trial; the public grows to revile the accused; the accused walks free, but is now hated by the people. He, like Casey Anthony, needs to disappear for his own safety - and, if I'm not mistaken, already has. Zimmerman isn't really a free man. This trial and the media circus that accompanied it have ruined his life, and people are probably going to make attempts on it.

[edited slightly to emphasize my points]
Last edited by Kokonilly on July 25th, 2013, 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

geminicross

Postby geminicross » July 16th, 2013, 4:12 pm

If the charges were lesser from the jump, I think we would have seen a "guilty verdict" in some way, shape, or form.
And though the trial isn't about race in itself (though I'm pretty sure Zimmerman profiled Trayvon) it just goes to show how bad race relations are.
I mean, living where I live, I'm familiar with racism and can't help but think "That could have been me" It's just apparent that race is still a major issue (further supporting that the VRA should not have been overturned).
Last edited by geminicross on July 16th, 2013, 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geminicross

Postby geminicross » July 16th, 2013, 4:17 pm

I for one would like to thank our government overlords for giving us the freedom to talk about this.
Well now, that's stretching it a bit, don't you think?
(and above all things, Zimmerman gets his gun back)
He's going to need it - this is basically Casey Anthony, part 2 (even from the same state - oh, Florida, how you cause problems). The media gets over-involved in a legal trial; the public grows to revile the accused; the accused walks free somehow, but is now hated by the people. He, like Casey Anthony, needs to disappear for his own safety - and, if I'm not mistaken, already has. Zimmerman isn't really a free man. This trial and the media circus that accompanied it have ruined his life, and people are probably going to make attempts on it.
I'm sure he could live for a little while off of all the donations he'll be receiving by certain people. NRA supporters, racists, various members of a certain political party
At least long enough for "Open Season" on George Zimmerman to end.
Though I wish no harm to Zimmerman....I just can't wrap my head around the verdict.

Return to “General Chat”