Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
John Richardsim
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Video game thread.

Postby John Richardsim » July 18th, 2015, 12:40 am

Over the past few days of being computerless, I decided to spend a lot of time playing The Urbz: Sims in the City and The Sims 2 on GBA (well, on DS, but playing the GBA versions of both games...oh, and I must remark that even though my DS has taken a large amount of physical wear and tear over the years, the battery still lasts like a charm...DS: 1, Smartphones: 0).

Anyway, I didn't really think about it until I played The Sims 2 for a day and then played The Urbz: Sims in the City, but...on GBA, The Sims 2 SUCKS. Here are a few of my main complaints:

(Oh, and just a bit of background info, the chronological order of the series is The Sims Bustin' Out --> The Urbz: Sims in the City --> The Sims 2)

1: The setting: Man, when I first popped The Sims 2 into my DS and saw that it took place in Strangetown, I was excited (anyone who has played The Sims 2 on PC knows that Strangetown is cooler than Pleasantview or Veronaville). But pretty soon I started to notice that the map layout in The Sims 2 was...bad. Honestly, thinking about it, I spend a ton of time just running around in that game (yeah, you do a lot of it, especially when you don't just use a walkthrough and you have to search for everything on your own), and a good portion of the time I have spent running around could have been avoided if the game had a better map layout. In The Urbz: Sims in the City, the map is divided into three main areas, each of which is connected to both of the other two areas, forming a circle-thingy. Heck, overall, the map is much smaller in The Sims 2. Also, if I recall correctly, the vast majority of the map in The Sims 2 is accessible from the minute you pop the game in. However, in The Urbz: Sims in the City, you must unlock portions of the map one at a time. This is something I remember particularly pulling me into the game very early on (I still remember the first time I unlocked SimQuarter). I also enjoy the sharp contrasts in environment (one area is sort of inner-city like, another old town-ish, another is like a big city), and these contrasts are completely absent from The Sims 2 in my opinion. And with this I would like to hop straight into...

2: The buildings: I just thought about it, but a big reason why The Sims 2 seems so boring in comparison to The Urbz: Sims in the City (okay, I'm just going to abbreviate it "TU:SitC" from now on) is the buildings. In almost every public building in TU:SitC, there is at least one object to interact with (whether it be a sink, or a couch, or a toilet, or a computer, you get the point). However, in The Sims 2, many buildings are essentially empty, and only are used in the actual storyline itself once or twice in the entire game (translation: boring). But that's only public buildings, what about home options? Well, in TU:SitC, you have 6 different options for houses (2 in each major area), ranging from a crappy brownstone, to a houseboat, to a penthouse. In The Sims 2, you get...1 option. Yes, you are stuck in the same house the entire game. This all leads back to the fact that your basement is Daddy Bigbucks' office (which leads back to the entire setup of the game, with the residents of Strangetown being the cast of a secret reality television show, produced by Daddy Bigbucks). However, does all of that really justify forcing the player to stay in the same house? And because of this, I never felt the urge to equip my home in The Sims 2 with anything other than the objects I need to fulfill my basic needs. And speaking about equipping my home, in The Sims 2 there is only one place to go to buy furnishings for your home (well, you might be able to purchase a computer from this place and use it to shop online, but I highly doubt it). In TU:SitC, you can purchase furnishings from a couple different retail stores or online, none of which always supply the same objects as the other two. But in order to purchase this stuff, you need to have money...

3: Minigames (Jobs): In order to make money in both games, you must play various minigames. In TU:SitC, there are 8 minigames that (given you are far enough in the game) may each be played once a day. These are in turn supplemented by a few other minigames that may be played whenever (but they don't pay out very well, so I usually ignore them altogether). However, in The Sims 2, there are only 5 minigames that may be played once a day, with 2 special minigames in which only one of the two can be played per "episode". Oh, and I just thought of it: the minigames in TU:SitC may only be played during a specific time of the day (so some minigames that can be played now, may not be available later when others are), while the minigames in The Sims 2 are available all the time. Now wait, isn't being able to play the minigames whenever a good thing? Well, it is convenient, but it eliminates any challenges with trying to schedule. In fact, only a couple buildings in TU:SitC stay open 24/7, but in The Sims 2, nothing closes (translation: unnecessarily easy).

4: Socializing: In TU:SitC, many missions require you to make friends or to become enemies with someone. In The Sims 2, a fourth of your score for each episode comes from having conversations. So it's pretty clear that socializing is an important task in both games. But the way in which conversation happens in both games is extremely different. In TU:SitC, when conversing you may choose between 3 conversation options presented at a time out of a total of about 30. The person you are conversing with will either respond positively, neutrally, or negatively to the topic you choose. Not everyone responds the same way to any given topic. This means whenever you need to become friends or enemies with someone, you need to figure out how they respond to each topic (translation: intriguingly challenging). However, in The Sims 2, when conversing with someone, you must initially choose between one of three types of conversation (friendly, romantic, and intimidating). For each conversation type, there is 5 different interactions to choose from. Now, not everyone will tend to respond to the same interactions the same way, but to be honest, the variance of success rates do not vary all that much from person to person. And did you notice I said "TEND to respond"? Yeah, that's because each interaction only has a chance of success..."yay". And if you end up "failing" the conversation, you will pass out...yeah, pass out...because why not...(translation boring and painful).

5: Ah, just other little things...: Yeah, I could ramble on for longer, describing every single way The Urbz: Sims in the City GBA is better than The Sims 2 GBA, but I am just going to save both of us the time and just say that there are a lot of other various things. A couple of days ago when I played The Sims 2, I found that the part of the game I was looking forward to most was the part when I got to shut off my DS. But even though I am no longer computerless, I still feel a desire to play The Urbz: Sims in the City. As for The Sims 2...I think that can remain on the shelf for a bit longer...

Well, I guess that's the end of this rant. Respect to whoever actually read through this all. And to all of you who just skipped to the last part...yeah, I would do the same thing.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » July 18th, 2015, 5:47 am

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
And for John Richardsim, a diploma in social science! *shakes hand with loud applause in background*
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

samlan16
State: TN

Postby samlan16 » July 18th, 2015, 8:14 am

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
And for John Richardsim, a diploma in social science! *shakes hand with loud applause in background*
Congratulations Dr. Richardsim!
Remember, we are proud of every team that participated and you are all winners.

John Richardsim
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Postby John Richardsim » July 21st, 2015, 5:07 pm

The other day while playing The Sims 3, I decided to join a protest...
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

trentomology1999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Postby trentomology1999 » July 22nd, 2015, 6:57 am

What the heck John!? :evil: Do you know who you are dealing with her on Scioly? SOnerd will not be pleased, and I am right with her. Teh Insectz shall never be fought, but embraced. That is what Teh Ento Cult lives by. You mess with Teh Insectz, you mess with Teh Ento Cult, and we will HUNT YOU DOWN! Now, we wait for SOnerd....
2017 Season
WOSO/Regionals/State/Nationals
Astronomy: 3/2/ /
Dynamic: 1/6/ /
Hydrogeology: 1/1/ /
Remote Sensing: 1/1/ /
Rocks and Mins: 1/1/ /
Team: 4,5/1/ /
Go Grand Haven!!

samlan16

Postby samlan16 » July 22nd, 2015, 6:59 am

YES!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby SOnerd » July 22nd, 2015, 8:22 am

What the heck John!? :evil: Do you know who you are dealing with her on Scioly? SOnerd will not be pleased, and I am right with her. Teh Insectz shall never be fought, but embraced. That is what Teh Ento Cult lives by. You mess with Teh Insectz, you mess with Teh Ento Cult, and we will HUNT YOU DOWN! Now, we wait for SOnerd....
Thank you, Trentomology. You have proven yourself to be a loyal member of Teh cult. This almost makes up for you trading away the delightful toy flies I gave you at Swaps.
John, you should remember that there is no good reason to protest against ladybugs, or members of the Coccinellidae family. They are beneficial in every way. Teh Ento Cult does not approve of your little "protest" against beneficial insects. If you really want to protest an insect, protest against a scary one.
YES!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
No. No. No.
John and Samlan, you guys both need to read this wonderful post.
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page

samlan16

Postby samlan16 » July 22nd, 2015, 9:55 am

Thank you, Trentomology. You have proven yourself to be a loyal member of Teh cult. This almost makes up for you trading away the delightful toy flies I gave you at Swaps.
Um, ew. Toy flies? Sounds more like a bad prank.
John, you should remember that there is no good reason to protest against ladybugs, or members of the Coccinellidae family. They are beneficial in every way. Teh Ento Cult does not approve of your little "protest" against beneficial insects. If you really want to protest an insect, protest against a scary one.
This is Murrca and we can protest whatever we want. Watch and learn, nerd.

Also, the bold part made my brother and I laugh hysterically. If you really want to make a point for your worthless faction, then do not give leeway for further opposition.
No. No. No.
Lt. Cmdr. Data: Life forms! You tiny little life forms! You precious little life forms! Where are you?
Me: Dead.

Panda Weasley
Division: C

Postby Panda Weasley » July 22nd, 2015, 10:34 am

TEH ENTO CULT UNITE!
We need a logo guys...
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby SOnerd » July 22nd, 2015, 10:37 am

TEH ENTO CULT UNITE!
We need a logo guys...
Good idea, I'll start working on one. If only I had a photo editing program better than MS paint... We should also have a jingle in addition to the video (already made) and logo (will make soon).
Um, ew. Toy flies? Sounds more like a bad prank.
The toy flies were brilliant.
This is Murrca and we can protest whatever we want. Watch and learn, nerd.

Also, the bold part made my brother and I laugh hysterically. If you really want to make a point for your worthless faction, then do not give leeway for further opposition.
Teh Ento Cult does not support scary insects. If you read the Terms of Agreement to join Teh Cult, you would know that.
No. No. No.

(Edited to avoid a double-post)
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page

Return to “General Chat”